Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Tea

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by FredM View Post
    Anyone here make their tea with a samovar?
    I learned something new today, thank you Fred and Google.

Quote Originally Posted by FredM View Post
    Anyone here make their tea with a samovar?
    Going to as back as I can remember, those were used just to heat water. Ive never seen the tea being brewed on top of one, and I've never seen anything but electric stuff.
    Samovars came really handy when water management turned off hot water in the middle of russian winters.

Does anyone else settle the acids in the tea before drinking it? I believe that was part of the reason for "swinging the billy" in Au. When I first heard of the idea, I started making a half to full cup extra of tea in a pot, letting it all sit a few minutes before drinking, and pouring so the acids that go to the bottom of the pot arent disturbed. Dont use that last, sacrificial half to full cup. Sort of like pouring camp coffee so as not to disturb the grounds at the bottom of the pot. It seems to improve teas like Lipton, it takes some of the acidic flavor out of it.
    Last edited by Malamute; 11-29-2015 at 11:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    What are the best tea k cup variants to look at? I have purchased Twinnings and Celestial before and really like the twinnings English breakfast black tea. I ordered a couple sampler packs of different brands off amazon, but was curious what you more experienced tea drinkers think. K cups are all I use anymore for tea/coffee.
    You could also use loose tea in the k-cup strainers. I'm just using Lipton k cups right now. A cup with a shot of honey whiskey makes a nice toddy when under the weather.

I used to keep a pot of tea going on the Bunn coffee maker at work in the winter. A large bag of regular tea and a small bag of spiced chai made a pleasant pot, but I am a knuckle dragger when it comes to this stuff.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    I am usually 115/70 something but I get really nervous now that I have to take it a couple times to get an accurate reading lol

Tea is for old ladies and snooty Englishmen !

No actually, I like tea as a change from coffee once in awhile. If you get to a town with a tea shop they can tell you all the details & suggest varieties that best fit you. The tea will be fresh. (And bonus, - the shop closest to me has a real hottie working there.)

Emotional state can very quickly raise blood pressure. I had a physical many years ago & the b.p. reading was extremely high. The corpsman probably thought I might keel over any minute ! Turns out a hose had a leak and needed to be replaced. The reading was still a little high after he fixed it - due to my concern. For a long time afterwards, my readings would run high at the doctor's office.

If you ever need to have a physical where you might have a lot at stake (for job, insurance, etc) here's what you can do to have an accurate b.p. reading - Get an electronic b.p. cuff that automatically inflates and records your readings. One with a tape printer is even better. Get in the habit of taking your b.p. every day. For me, first thing in the morning is good while still lying in bed. After awhile, taking your b.p. is so hum drum routine, that it no longer brings on that automatic physiological reaction that it did before. And, if a little elevated at the doctor's office, you have a tape record of what your actual readings have been over time to give the physician. A lot of people have experienced this.

I no longer need to take my b.p. every day. This calming effect has seemed to carry over. At the doc's office I just think "No big deal, I've done this a hundred times before.'

I'm not big into herbal teas- far too many are basically hot koolaid. However, dried, ground licorice root or peppermint leaves make a pretty good mellow, soothing tea.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Haha, that is called 'white coat hypertension' and is extremely common. If you are very invested in monitoring your blood pressure, you can buy an electronic blood pressure cuff and measure it at home by yourself.
    I was told I have "white coat syndrome" long ago. Interestingly the only time I don't seem to have it is when my GP Doctor takes it. The last time I was 124/78 at his office.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

I like Earl Gray when I drink tea. I usually get mine from Market Spice on Pike Street in Seattle. It's one of my must visits when I travel there. Fortunately they have a website.

http://www.marketspice.com

They have a lot of herbal "teas" that are caffeine free.

I think this is the tea they brew in house for customers to drink while they're shopping. I like it.

http://www.marketspice.com/store/pro...ce-tea-4oz-box
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    I think this is the tea they brew in house for customers to drink while they're shopping. I like it.

http://www.marketspice.com/store/pro...ce-tea-4oz-box
    It is.
    If I should ever venture into the belly of the beast (Seattle; Pike Place Market is fun, but it's in The City) again I may ask them how they prepare it, we've never been able to duplicate the taste.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

I enjoy tea and it keeps me from getting burnt out on coffee on 3rd shift. I am sometimes alarmed at the number of energy drinks the younger folks at work drink. We also have one guy that's 45; had a previous heart attack and consumes about 4 Monster's a night. The guy is pretty highly sprung without supplements and borderline manic with them.

I also find that loose tea is far superior to bagged and I tend towards black tea or oolong with green tea when I can find the naturally sweeter varieties.

User Tag List