Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tea

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Aka just fine for most people who want something better than whatever McDonalds is selling?
    No, McD's sells better coffee than Starbucks, by coffee people standards. But that's for the coffee thread, not the tea thread.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

I use Teavana . Didn't know they had haters, don't care.

The loose leaf teas can be steeped five times. I drink their black tea, although the White Jasmine is pretty nice stuff if rather pricey.

I use one of their black thermoses with the internal basket , and its a rad way to get good tea on the go. Tazo, Lipton, they're all like the tea version of Taurus handguns to me.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    see thats the weird thing about my blood pressure. I exercise 6 times a week (cardio and weights), eat healthy, and for a long time never got above a 120. I had a high reading at the Dr's once (130 systolic, my diastolic has always been good) and became concerned. I am usually 115/70 something but I get really nervous now that I have to take it a couple times to get an accurate reading lol. The biggest thing that I think was causing it to be higher then normal was
    1)I drank energy drinks a lot, completely stopped after the doctor visit
    2)drinking a lot of coffee and said monsters before my appointment
    3) I used to "binge" drink quite a bit with a friend of mine.

I have limited those three and got a 120/78 and a 115/76 today.

anyone know how much salt effects blood pressure?
    130 systolic is still considered normotensive, FYI... current guidelines don't recommend treatment for hypertension until you get above 140/90 mmHg, and first line is always lifestyle modification anyway. As a male, you can also expect your blood pressure to slowly increase as you age, anyway. This is normal.

Dietary salt, unless it is truly extreme (i.e. you eat a traditional Mexican diet made largely from canned ingredients, or you are eating McDonalds for every meal of the week), shouldn't contribute substantially to hypertension. The exception are "salt sensitive" individuals who are predominantly African American. You can read more about that here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8522721
    Last edited by Nephrology; 11-28-2015 at 05:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    It's probably like Starbucks for tea then.
    It most assuredly is. My biggest problem is they can't seem to leave the tea well enough the fuck alone, as in, they have to mix classic green tea or pu'er tea with dried fruit and other bullshit. Remind me and I'll bring you back some legit long-jing (dragon well), wulong or pu'er tea when I go back to visit the fam in March.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    130 systolic is still considered normotensive, FYI... current guidelines don't recommend treatment for hypertension until you get above 140/90 mmHg, and first line is always lifestyle modification anyway. As a male, you can also expect your blood pressure to slowly increase as you age, anyway. This is normal.

Dietary salt, unless it is truly extreme (i.e. you eat a traditional Mexican diet made largely from canned ingredients, or you are eating McDonalds for every meal of the week), shouldn't contribute substantially to hypertension.
    Good to know thank you. My nerves cause my systolic to spike, sometimes 20/30 points higher. I have to settle down and take it again and its within a normal range. Pisses off the person taking it usually but I always make them take it again.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Good to know thank you. My nerves cause my systolic to spike, sometimes 20/30 points higher. I have to settle down and take it again and its within a normal range. Pisses off the person taking it usually but I always make them take it again.
    Haha, that is called 'white coat hypertension' and is extremely common. If you are very invested in monitoring your blood pressure, you can buy an electronic blood pressure cuff and measure it at home by yourself.

You can do better at whole foods than teavana. More important is to look for a local shop with knowledgeable snotty hippies. Knowing you can kill them makes it bearable.

If you want a low or no caf hot beverage I'd learn to love weak oolong -- there's a whole largest workforce in the world that chucks a tbsp in a nalgene at 6am and tops it off all day.

I do the same with two bags of red zinger but I like it iced.

If you're interested in whole health I like nettles.
    Ignore Alien Orders

I have been trying to give up caffeine for the most part, should of mentioned that in the earlier post. I find that most teas have much less then the coffee I used to drink (switched to decaff this week... its been interesting as far as my energy levels).
    Funny timing, making this post. I also quit coffee (about 3 weeks ago now) and switched to decaf tea. I've found that when I wake up (3 Am during weekdays) I no longer feel groggy and zombie-like when I wake - even if I've woken up in the midst of a dream. Have you had a similar effect? I'm wondering if the lack of caffeine (I used to drink 36 fl oz of coffee a day) has improved my sleep quality or if it is a placebo effect.

I'm still experimenting with tea brands, but I went to Reddit's Tea section and found an online shop that many recommend: www.uptontea.com/ I've yet to puchase anything, but I'll be trying their samplers.

So far I'm liking the Earl Grey teas - I really like that Bergamot taste. Especially when I drink it during my fasting hours and burp - it's a pleasant tasting burp.
    Last edited by Jay585; 11-28-2015 at 05:37 PM.
    "Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    You can do better at whole foods than teavana. More important is to look for a local shop with knowledgeable snotty hippies. Knowing you can kill them makes it bearable.

If you want a low or no caf hot beverage I'd learn to love weak oolong -- there's a whole largest workforce in the world that chucks a tbsp in a nalgene at 6am and tops it off all day.

I do the same with two bags of red zinger but I like it iced.

If you're interested in whole health I like nettles.
    I live in the sticks, where the choices are Teavana or Lipton at the Flying J.
    Last edited by GardoneVT; 11-28-2015 at 05:41 PM.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay585 View Post
    Funny timing, making this post. I also quit coffee (about 3 weeks ago now) and switched to decaf tea. I've found that when I wake up (3 Am during weekdays) I no longer feel groggy and zombie-like when I wake - even if I've woken up in the midst of a dream. Have you had a similar effect? I'm wondering if the lack of caffeine (I used to drink 36 fl oz of coffee a day) has improved my sleep quality or if it is a placebo effect.

I'm still experimenting with tea brands, but I went to Reddit's Tea section and found an online shop that many recommend: www.uptontea.com/ I've yet to puchase anything, but I'll be trying their samplers.

So far I'm liking the Earl Grey teas - I really like that Bergamot taste. Especially when I drink it during my fasting hours and burp - it's a pleasant tasting burp.
    I have found that I was really dependent on the "feeling" that coffee gave me. Right now I have supplemented it by drinking decaf and I honestly feel the same as I did after a regular cup. I have found that I wake up "quicker" now but that may be because I thought I needed the coffee to wake up. Time will tell but so far it hasn't been a big deal. I found the quickest/best way for me to wake up is to run a mile on the tread mil and a quick PT shower.

User Tag List