Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cross eye dominance

We are diminished
    I don't believe anyone has suggested canting the gun for two-handed shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    I don't believe anyone has suggested canting the gun for two-handed shooting.
    I'm not going to cant the gun. The small piece of tape over the non dominant eye seems like the best solution for me. Thanks for all of the awesome advice.

Banned
    Are you shooting weaver or isosceles?

Quote Originally Posted by beltjones View Post
    Are you shooting weaver or isosceles?
    isosceles

FWIW, I am right handed, left eye dominant and I just line the pistol up with my left eye. I figured out I was left eye dominant after I had already started learning how to shoot, so I didn't want to re-learn how to do things completely on the left side. Keeping the same form but just shifting the pistol a couple inches over in front of my left eye has worked out just fine so far.

I believe there are quite a few skilled shooters who utilize this method. Judging by pictures and video of Larry Vickers shooting, he appears to use the right hand/left eye combo as well, though I'm sure some of the other members on the forum who either know Larry personally or have actually attended his classes could provide better input on that than I.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt O View Post
    I believe there are quite a few skilled shooters who utilize this method. .
    I believe I've read that Cooper was CED and solved it that way -- and that that was part of the reason that he tended to bend his left elbow more than most. This led some of us who weren't paying attention (see my avatar) to grossly overblade our Weavers.
    Ignore Alien Orders

the tape combined with moving the gun a couple inches to the right has worked so far in dry fire practice I think it might be the ticket. I hope to try it out Sunday with some live fire training.
    Last edited by mscott327; 09-30-2011 at 07:03 PM. Reason: spelling error

Right handed, left eyed here.

Move gun a few inches to the left, rotate head a few degrees to the right. Bam, problem solved.

More annoying with rifle shooting. I wear a baseball hat, which blocks enough of my dominant eye's vision to force focus on iron sights, and with a red dot, well, who cares.
    JP Visual Design

I got some live fire training in today. I did tape my glasses like discussed earlier. I also did some ball and dummy drills. I had a aha moment today as I focused on the front sight and I watched the sight raise and drop back onto target. I modified 2-6-6-6-2 drill slightly in the attached pictures. I did a 6-6-6-2-2 for three rounds at both 5 and 10 yards. Here are the pictures for your critique. I'm still needing some work on the 2" targets, but the tape was a big difference in my groupings.

User Tag List