Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2230313233 LastLast

Thread: I hate Turkey rant

Site Supporter
    In the Pterodactyl Wing spirit. I took a leftover wing. Pulled the meat off of the bone into a bowl. Nuked 90 seconds. Added Frank's Red Hot, mixed. Added crumbled Bleu cheese and topped with Bleu cheese dressing. Ate with a fork, but would have loved it wrapped in a tortilla. Or as a dip with Naan, tortillas, or even corn chips.

In this house, post Thanksgiving, Turkey Noodle Soup is good, Turkey Sandwiches (with the Moistmaker) are good, Thanksgiving Cassarole (basically turkey, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, topped with stuffing, gravy, and cheese) is good. But the King is Green Chile Turkey Enchiladas.

My current enchilada process is covered in another thread. But here it is...

Buttermilk in the blender, with about 1/3 to 1/2 the green chile, a couple TBS flour, and more salt and garlic than you think need. Whizz it up. When blended add the rest of the green chile and pulse to combine. Lube the pan, or glass baking dish, and layer corn tortillas, turkey meat, cheese, and sauce. Alternate till done and cover with as much cheese and sauce as the pan will hold. Then bake till everything is hot and melty. I really, really like chopped yellow onions in the layers, but even better, reheated enchiladas, topped with chopped raw onions and extra cheese.

pat

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    In the Pterodactyl Wing spirit. I took a leftover wing. Pulled the meat off of the bone into a bowl. Nuked 90 seconds. Added Frank's Red Hot, mixed. Added crumbled Bleu cheese and topped with Bleu cheese dressing. Ate with a fork, but would have loved it wrapped in a tortilla. Or as a dip with Naan, tortillas, or even corn chips.

In this house, post Thanksgiving, Turkey Noodle Soup is good, Turkey Sandwiches (with the Moistmaker) are good, Thanksgiving Cassarole (basically turkey, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, topped with stuffing, gravy, and cheese) is good. But the King is Green Chile Turkey Enchiladas.

My current enchilada process is covered in another thread. But here it is...

Buttermilk in the blender, with about 1/3 to 1/2 the green chile, a couple TBS flour, and more salt and garlic than you think need. Whizz it up. When blended add the rest of the green chile and pulse to combine. Lube the pan, or glass baking dish, and layer corn tortillas, turkey meat, cheese, and sauce. Alternate till done and cover with as much cheese and sauce as the pan will hold. Then bake till everything is hot and melty. I really, really like chopped yellow onions in the layers, but even better, reheated enchiladas, topped with chopped raw onions and extra cheese.

pat
    Oh great. You f***ers already are making me poor; now you’re making me fat too [emoji12]

Don't care for Thanksgiving turkey. It never comes out right. Tried myself or have eaten others attempts..... Oven, deep fry, brine/not brine, seasoned every which way....it's always dry. Sometimes the dark meat comes out ok. I've long ago given up on turkey and just make whatever sounds good. That year.

A few years ago it was pork belly. Then there was Ribeye roast. Last year I had covid over Thanksgiving so I made awesome grilled pork ribs!!

This year my sister made kickass ducks. I made ribs just in case as backup but the ducks were awesome!

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

The white broad breasted turkey isn't the best tasting turkey. It is a highly produced commercial breed developed in the 1950s. It has been a huge commercial success and producers can get a lot of really large birds to market faster and in more volume than heritage birds. No knock since they are feeding the US. Heritage birds taste much better and the meat has a different texture, (more chicken meat-like). Red bourbons are the best in my opinion. If you like turkey meat, you will love it, if you don't like turkey meat, you will most likely like it. We produced and incubated turkeys for 3 seasons selling hundreds of poults, adult birds and some butchered/packaged birds. Unfortunately, we accidentally imported a black hand of death turkey disease so I had to cull the flock. Since they were free range I am going to wait another season before trying to start another flock and hoping that it will be enough time for the grounds/soil to be black hand of death turkey disease free.
    Last edited by medmo; 11-29-2022 at 05:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by medmo View Post
    The white broad breasted turkey isn't the best tasting turkey. It is a highly produced commercial breed developed in the 1950s. It has been a huge commercial success and producers can get a lot of really large birds to market faster and in more volume than heritage birds. No knock since they are feeding the US. Heritage birds taste much better and the meat has a different texture, (more chicken meat-like). Red bourbons are the best in my opinion. If you like turkey meat, you will love it, if you don't like turkey meat, you will most likely like it. We produced and incubated turkeys for 3 seasons selling hundreds of poults, adult birds and some butchered/packaged birds. Unfortunately, we accidentally imported a black hand of death turkey disease so I had to cull the flock. Since they were free range I am going to wait another season before trying to start another flock and hoping that it will be enough time for the grounds/soil to be black hand of death turkey disease free.
    I'm assuming red bourbon is a type of turkey.....

...can you recommend some brands, or where we might best find these?
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I'm assuming red bourbon is a type of turkey.....
    Haha, yes, it is a heritage breed of turkey and not to be confused with any Kentucky sipping whiskey. These are the type of turkeys that our grandparents and great grandparents ate. They are smaller and grow about two to three times as slow as todays mass produced ag industry birds. In the 50’s is when the commercial crossbred white broad breasted turkeys started hitting the markets. Genetic engineering for fastest return on the investment but not necessarily the best tasting bird or meat texture. Again, no knock as it feeds the country. Definitely better for cold cuts and not roasted forkfuls. You will have to do some internet sleuthing to find a local grower of heritage turkeys. There are some farms that sell and ship nationally with internet sales from what I’m seeing. The Butterballs in the supermarkets are all the white broad breasted, butchered, vac seal packaged and frozen sometimes months before purchased. I hope you get a chance to taste a fresh heritage bird and experience the difference.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Oh great. You f***ers already are making me poor; now you’re making me fat too [emoji12]
    Well, we are SMEs on the subject...

pT

And yet another Thanksgiving goes by without having to suffer through eating the damn bird, or lying about being allergic to it. At this point, almost all the people I care about knows I'm a poultryphobe. I don't understand the appeal of any type of bird. Yeah, it's ok when it's fried, but if I'm going to eat something fried, it's going to be fish, shrimp, and potatoes. I went looking for Walleye this year, but I didn't see any, so I got some Argentine Red Shrimp and boiled them up and made stir fry and it was great. As long as the fish isn't tuna, trout, or salmon, I will take it over any bird, anytime.

I'm a third generation bird disliker. Grandpa, who I never met, my uncle, and now me, rumors are that my cousin's kid is a closet bird disliker, but he's not as apt to tell how he feels and suffered through it.
    Last time I had it, about 1997, my friend's wife refused to believe I didn't like it, and insisted on me trying it, a few minutes later, I had some great bread with Jif smeared on it. She even ruined the mashed potatoes by putting cheese in them

I don't hate bird, but I don't understand why anyone would choose to eat them, as long as catfish, walleye, perch, sole, halibut, cod and many more are available.

Quote Originally Posted by Hemiram View Post

I don't hate bird, but I don't understand why anyone would choose to eat them, as long as catfish, walleye, perch, sole, halibut, cod and many more are available.
    Because you're an outlier, and most people like poultry.

"I don't understand why anyone would ever shoot right handed. Left handed works better for me, so there can't possibly be a reason anyone would want to shoot right handed!".

That's literally how ridiculous your post sounds.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List