Page 28 of 33 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: I hate Turkey rant

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    I used to be a bird hunter. I can tell you that just about any game bird is better than domestic turkey, way better. It's like comparing elk to Angus.
    I believe it. My limited experience with wild hog vs naturally farmed pig vs typical mass production farming pork has shown that the wilder the better. Wild hog had similar look and taste to beef. Red meat! ...well..... red-ish. While not the same, pork from free range grazing pigs not fed with corn is a close second.

I actually like to make turkey wings

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

I had an oven baked turkey, a deep fried turkey, and a Greenberg smoked turkey. The smoked turkey was everyone's favorite and it was also the easiest since it requires basically nothing from you. 10/10 highly recommend.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
    I had an oven baked turkey, a deep fried turkey, and a Greenberg smoked turkey. The smoked turkey was everyone's favorite and it was also the easiest since it requires basically nothing from you. 10/10 highly recommend.
    Yep Greenberg or Nueske’s is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
    I popped our smoked turkey into the oven for about 4 hrs at 300°, checked it with a meat thermometer, let it cool for 30 minutes and we ate it. Can't get much easier than that.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    I bought a smoked turkey this year. Much better than an oven roasted or fried turkey. The drumsticks were pretty tough, almost too tough to eat. I don't like turkey but my wife insists on having turkey when we gather at our house for Thanksgiving. That usually only happens every other year so I can eat turkey once every 2 years.

I was in charge of the cleanup so I wrapped all of the left over turkey and sent it home with the guests. My wife ask me yesterday where the left over turkey was. She should have never left me in charge of the cleanup.

I did make an important discovery this Thanksgiving so that saved a boring meal for me. I discovered Pinot Noir wine. I dislike white wine about as much as I dislike turkey. Everyone always pairs white with poultry. Hogwash. Oregon Pinot Noir goes very well with poultry. It was a big hit with the wine drinkers. Totally stumbled onto that. I thought I was buying white wine at Costco.
    When I used to drink, pinot noir was a go to.
    It's very good with a meal like roast turkey or chicken, and good with a pork loin as well.
    Good red, but not as heavy as a cab or merlot.

Good choice.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

...and it's 2022.

My! The year has flown by (yuk) and we've been completely unruffled (heh) despite a leg injury (actually this is legit true) in September. Still hate turkey though.

I'll have to admit I have been re-trying a diet plan I'd used in 2018 on the road; following a book by Jorge Cruz. Besides the usual do not eat carbs in any form (more or less), as snacks he suggests - you guessed it - turkey. Turns out I got some sliced smoked at Publix, and tried it wrapped around some string cheese. I was frankly astonished I did not drop down gagging in disgust on the spot. It...actually wasn't bad. I might even get some more. Not planning to eat any turkey tomorrow - eek!

Happy Thanksgiving y'all! Turkey friend and foe alike...

Now that we have a house larger than 1,100 sq ft, we're hosting stuff. Works well, we control how good the food is, people who've always done the work get a break, and we don't have to travel. My dad and step mom, last year, spent the entire year on the road as they sold their house when the value was super high and used their motorhome to do a lap around the US. They just recently settled in a new place, a few hours away, so we snuck in and claimed Thanksgiving. The only problem is they've both, at one point, expressed that turkey is a requirement for thanksgiving and my desire for ham or duck isn't their favorite thing. So... I went and got a nice pasture raised, free range, all of the acronyms turkey to cook. I also got a duck because people deserve good food too. Well... In discussion, they both told me they greatly prefer duck and ham over turkey, so I got hosed. Regardless, it's always fun to cook so here we go...

15# turkey, 6# duck. Turkey was spatchcocked and wet brined for 16-17 hours overnight in an apple-spice brine with a fair amount of cinnamon and savory spices. Pulled it a few hours ago and now it's drying in the fridge, with a head start with the air compressor blow gun, which was amazing. The duck is dry brining, with the commensurate holes in the skin and what not. Will be flipping and patting as we go. Both will be smoked on low for the first hour and then the temp ramped to 275 for a bit, finishing at 350 or under the broiler to crisp the skin. Duck will get some mandarins stuffed inside and an orange/maple glaze.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

We will be doing a small, free-range Turkey that was raised by friends a few miles up the road from us. With Bacon on top. And a maple syrup/whiskey glaze.

”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post

15# turkey, 6# duck. Turkey was spatchcocked and wet brined for 16-17 hours overnight in an apple-spice brine with a fair amount of cinnamon and savory spices. Pulled it a few hours ago and now it's drying in the fridge, with a head start with the air compressor blow gun, which was amazing. The duck is dry brining, with the commensurate holes in the skin and what not. Will be flipping and patting as we go. Both will be smoked on low for the first hour and then the temp ramped to 275 for a bit, finishing at 350 or under the broiler to crisp the skin. Duck will get some mandarins stuffed inside and an orange/maple glaze.
    Duck is something I have never cooked. I am interested to hear how this comes out.

It’s just my wife and I this year (in the past we’ve hosted siblings who weren’t visiting parents for one reason or another) so we’re doing simple vegetarian food that we love and still view as a splurge or occasion thing.

There’s still going to be plenty of booze and a quince cobbler, and I’m planning on an afternoon cigar given the nice forecast, so it’s not all healthy. Regardless the food still includes a metric ton of dairy.

If my wife liked dark meat (yes, duck counts for her) I’d absolutely do duck for Thanksgiving. It’s probably my favorite animal to eat.

User Tag List