Page 16 of 33 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: I hate Turkey rant

Quote Originally Posted by FNFAN View Post
    I have to admit I like the 2nd turkey meal with creamed gravy over the turkey on stuffing far more than I like the sliced turkey and accouterments.
    Leftovers are fine, gravy covers up the trashiness of turkey and mashed taters cures the sadness.

Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    I have posted elsewhere that a friend in the 90s owned a restaurant during the deep fried turkey craze. He still did 2:1 brined/roased to deep fried. Based on sales. I have brined my bird for decades, but now dry brined and spatchcocked is my preference. This year is duck, pan fried and confit. The wife is out of town with the kids and leaving me alone. She hates duck, and I am much more reasonable, and quite the oportunist.

pat
    I'm smoking mine.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Student
    I do like it. That might be since I don't have it every Thanksgiving, though I will this time around, and more importantly I think a slice or few of breast meat with potatoes, gravy, and stuffing is more of a regional tradition that can be enjoyed outside the holidays.

On my bucket list, next to going on a damn dove hunt already, is getting my hands on a wild turkey to eat. The consensus among the hunters I've talked to is that it's quite a contrast to what can be found in groceries.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Awesome, BBI.

pat

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    Leftovers are fine, gravy covers up the trashiness of turkey and mashed taters cures the sadness.

I'm smoking mine.
    So despite hating the bird you are willing to try....good luck to you. Next year's bird, for us will be wild harvested. The bird is not a bad bird, it is how he/she is treated.

If you don't like the bird, you don't like the bird...

Alton Brown's brined bird is good, his spatchcocked bird is better..

And, have you heard?

pat
    Last edited by UNM1136; 11-26-2019 at 02:11 PM.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Awesome, BBI.

pat
    Babish is one of my favorite channels to watch. Much like Gordon Ramsey, while the odds of me doing anything I see them do hovers at around 0.25% I find it entertaining.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    I'm smoking mine.
    I'm a big fan of smoked duck. Planning two for New Years this year. BIL visiting. He's a fan too.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

So despite hating the bird you are willing to try....
    As leftovers turkey is a gravy, tater, and stuffing delivery device. As a prepared whole bird it's meh, especially the steroid super turkeys. I like the smaller, wild turkeys, but all sides of my family are obsessed with the massive turkeys.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Unlike most years when I smoke a turkey breast after brining it in a solution of orange juice, garlic, onion, and Cajun seasoning, I am using the excuse of bad weather to be lazy. Picked up a frozen Popeye's "Cajun deep fried" turkey. It is now defrosting in the refrigerator. This is not the first time we have opted for Popeye's turkey for Thanksgiving, so we know what to expect. The leftovers make for excellent sandwiches.

Site Supporter
    Gotcha...and feel a little sorry for ya..

pat

User Tag List