Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Night shoot flash observations

Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    the regular 147 Ranger T had the lowest flash of any duty ammo I've seen.
    Lower than the original Winchester OSM 147gr Q-whatever cartridge we began the program with? That stuff had practically NO discernible muzzle flash, unless it was absolutely dark (i.e., no flashlights on).

If you'll recall, that ammo left little yellow particles all over the internals, part of the firing residue. It was freaking people out, until Rick called Winchester and was told it was anti-flash 'additives', don't worry about it.

What I remember most about dim light shooting was when we couldn't get the OSM load anymore, went to first generation Hydra-Shoks, and man… what a difference. But it still wasn't bad enough to change ammo again over. And, in fact, now that I think about it I don't remember any other significant problems with excessive 9mm muzzle flash. However, I never used any of those Remington GS rounds when they were the issue item. IMO they were loaded way too long (and still are), and the few I shot in your G34 seemed rather obnoxious, recoil-wise. So I continued to carry Hydra-Shoks, since I had a few stock-piled…

These days, its HST all the way for me. But you're right, I haven't shot any of the 124gr+P in dim light; or the 230gr +P, for that matter. That's easily rectified; I just might do it tonight after Baker closes up.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    I HATE auto correct. ^ This is how it should have read.
    Fixed the OP for you.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

If you want an exciting time, fire the WWB 110gr .357mag from a snub.

It's a .38 +P with a flash-bang thrown in.
    www.agiletactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post

Pretty much ANY full-patch .357 will do that… which is why I have 158gr .357 Hydra-Shoks in my 2" barrel car gun. The flash/blast of such a combination simply has to be experienced to fully appreciate it.

Four inch guns aren't a whole lot better. I well remember the special-snowflake/left-handed female cadet who screamed and dropped her M-66 after touching off the first round of "magnums" during her initial dim light training. She literally though the revolver had blown up in her hands… even after my careful explanation to the group as to what to expect. Sigh…

When I was carrying a 640 as a BUG, and doing a lot of night time car stops on hinky cars during our crack wars years here, I did some night fire testing and found that said WWB was the absolute worst of all of the loads I tested.

I mainly walked up to those cars with the 640 in my weak hand already, the plan was to make headshots, and if I missed I could disappear in the ninja flash-bang after the first couple of shots.

Hey, it made sense at the time.
    www.agiletactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    These days, its HST all the way for me. But you're right, I haven't shot any of the 124gr+P in dim light; or the 230gr +P, for that matter. That's easily rectified; I just might do it tonight after Baker closes up.
    I just recently shot some 124gr+p HSTs out of a VP9 at an indoor range with all the lights turned on and I saw some distinctive muzzle flash. I also shot some 124gr+p Gold Dots and 147 gr Golden Sabers and there was no visible flash. The HSTs were hotter too in terms of recoil (not much recoil anyway but more than the Gold Dots)

We had some after dark training earlier this month. I noticed the 180 grain Gold Dot was relatively low flash. The training ammo was a mix of Winchester and Speer ball. It wasn't much brighter

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    Lower than the original Winchester OSM 147gr Q-whatever cartridge we began the program with? That stuff had practically NO discernible muzzle flash, unless it was absolutely dark (i.e., no flashlights on).

If you'll recall, that ammo left little yellow particles all over the internals, part of the firing residue. It was freaking people out, until Rick called Winchester and was told it was anti-flash 'additives', don't worry about it.

I do remember the OSM being about invisible, and the additive residue. It's been so long since I've shot OSM that I can't really quantify vs 147 Ranger T. The 147 Ranger T, last I shot a few years ago, was VERY low flash, really just a small dim orange.

I use to love night quals with MAGNUMS!

Hi Chuck, was that the ammo/gun combo you demonstrated at the low-light portion of PEP3?

User Tag List