Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: .44 mag levergun

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Yes, its the only commercially available and successful 454 offering. Its a Winchester 92 type action. I dont know if they did anything different with the receiver alloy or hardening. I suspect so.

The Big Bore 94 Winchesters were offered in higher pressure loads.
    I can't see running a 454 in any standard lever action--it's asking for trouble. But if you downsize the caliber and go to .357, lever actions seem to handle hot load pretty well, and my guess is that they would do so for 41 magnum as well (the 41 mag. might be the sweet spot for lever actions even though there aren't too many out there). If you get bigger than that, you are starting to get a lot of energy/pressure in a hot load.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    dbateman,

Will the Trappers handle the really hot Ruger only loads? How about a 5 shot ruger only load?
    I honestly don't know, I have read of people hot rodding the 45lc.
    But I have no first hand experience with it.
    In the 45lc I typically shoot a 255gr or a 300gr cast lead bullet at moderate velocities, it tends to penetrate quite well and put down pigs cattle ect reliably.

In the 30-30 I shoot either 150gr or 170gr factory ammo, mostly Winchester Power Points, I did use some Remington ammo for a while but for some reason I didn't like it.
    I prefer the 150gr on pigs they expand quite well on heart/lung shots and leave a large exit wound, the 170gr in my experience are a little heavier constructed and didn't give me the same results. They would be good on larger game.
    https://www.facebook.com/dave.bateman.311

kimbers have more issues than time magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by Water-Man View Post
    We're getting a little thread drift guys. Can we get back on track please?
    Sorry.

If I wanted to be able to shoot Garrett level .44 magnum, and hotter, loads in a lever gun, I would just go Marlin .45/70 which I think is the best lever gun Marlin makes, and my single favorite lever gun period.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I have an older Rossi 44 Mag. I've had it for 20 years or so. I mostly just shoot 44 Special Cowboy loads in it. I haven't had any problems with it, but I don't like the sights on it.

We're getting a little thread drift guys. Can we get back on track please?
    Sorry.

My preference is the Browning 92's as made in the 80's or early 90's, or Winchester 92's as currently made by Miroku in Japan. They arent cheap, but deals can be found on used ones. Its hard to go wrong with the Marlins in any event. So long as you get one thats well built and fitted, they are pretty good guns. The Henry guns are a bit heavy in comparison, but seem to be well built and have very good CS from all accounts. They dont appeal to some of us that are more traditionalists, but thats each individuals problem, not the guns.

If you want to shoot cast bullet loads, some of the microgroove Marlins take some tinkering with bullet diameters to shoot their best. If shooting jacketed, it doesnt matter much about microgroove rifling.

Many 44 rifles have larger groove diameter barrels than handguns. The SAMMI spec is actually larger, and the factories have little problem sending guns out the door with groove diameters that run up to around .432". That may or may not end up creating the need to use different bullet diameters or loads that shoot best in a pair of handguns and rifles, somewhat taking from the interchangeable aspect, if thats a consideration. Many just use their favorite pistol or carbine load and take whatever it does in the other gun and call it good. Not perfect performance perhaps, but a workable solution if one isnt too much of a perfectionist.

Some extra-heavy or longer than standard bullet loads dont feed as well in some lever actions. OAL may be more of an issue than it is in some handguns. The Lyman 429421 bullet is too long for all lever actions I've tried them in, but work fine in Smith and Ruger revolvers.

I'm interested in purchasing a new, .44 mag levergun and would like experienced opinions as to which one to buy.

Thank you.
    I had a Marlin 1894 for a while, but it didn't have the reach that I wanted so I sold it.

If you hunt with a 44 Magnum rifle, you may need to handload for it. The little blacktail that I shot with mine looked like it had been hit with an RPG. An American Eagle 240-grain JHP may be fine on deer at 1,200 fps out of a revolver, but at 1,500 from a carbine, it's something else entirely.

Okie John

I sold my 1894 Marlin when they jumped up in value. I'm in the "needs a scope" age bracket and purchased a Ruger model 96/44 used. I'm very pleased with the 96/44 topped with a 2x7 Leopold scope.

User Tag List