Thread: The Deadly Mix

The Deadly Mix

During a recent "Unthinkable" class with that Aprill fella, he recommended that the attendees read "The Deadly Mix", an article published back in '07 in an FBI bulletin.

https://leb.fbi.gov/2007-pdfs/leb-january-2007

While its intended audience is obviously law enforcement, us private citizen types will find value in it as well.
    Last edited by NETim; 11-26-2015 at 11:33 PM.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

In a LEOKA class i took the instructor went over this info. He called it "highest statistical probability of deadly force" in reference to locations, people, demeanor and outcome based on documented cases.

What does it mean to the average joe ccw citizen? There are some places and people you dont want to be or meet there because of what may happen next. Not really new info, but just concepts put into words you can refer to.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    In a LEOKA class i took the instructor went over this info. He called it "highest statistical probability of deadly force" in reference to locations, people, demeanor and outcome based on documented cases.

What does it mean to the average joe ccw citizen? There are some places and people you dont want to be or meet there because of what may happen next. Not really new info, but just concepts put into words you can refer to.
    Not only that, but how a person carries themself, i.e., the visual cues they give off, plays a major role in the "selection/de-selection" process. That "thin slicing" concept validated so to speak.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Quote Originally Posted by NETim View Post
    Not only that, but how a person carries themself, i.e., the visual cues they give off, plays a major role in the "selection/de-selection" process. That "thin slicing" concept validated so to speak.
    Copy paste the thin slicing part so people dont have to look.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

If one can get ahold of the bigger studies, such as the excellent "Violent Encounters", it's great reading for everyone who is a student of personal defense and how criminals operate.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Reading it did remind me about something I first read here, I believe. Namely that in the typical LE incident, it's the good guy that initiates the interaction and the bad guy that initiates the fight, while in the CCW context, those roles are reversed.
    Last edited by Tamara; 11-28-2015 at 11:07 AM.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    If one can get ahold of the bigger studies, such as the excellent "Violent Encounters", it's great reading for everyone who is a student of personal defense and how criminals operate.
    Is this the study you are referring to?

http://www.secondcalldefense.org/sit...Encounters.pdf

If so, many thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Is this the study you are referring to?

http://www.secondcalldefense.org/sit...Encounters.pdf

If so, many thanks.
    Yes, it is.

As to what Tamara posted, I've noted several times in the past that one serious issue that is often not considered in police shooting hit rates is that the cop is often in massive initiative deficit, and may already have been shot. That kind of affects one's accuracy and such. The roles often reverse in the typical CCW dude vs street robbery suspect.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

User Tag List