Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why .Mil Berettas get a bad rap.

Why .Mil Berettas get a bad rap.

Found this gem cleaning out my closet today. Good thing SrA Andy Brown didn't read this page on the Air Force 10-100.

Maximum effective range of an M9 is 55 yards ,eh?And people wonder why our military folks have issues with handguns.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

The U.S. military tends to be optimistic when specifying the maximum effective range of small arms. As has been discussed ad naseum, here and elsewhere, this is especially true given the quality of some units training programs.

ETA: SrA Brown's performance would seem to indicate the miilitary was not off by too much.
    Last edited by Kevin B.; 11-26-2015 at 08:34 PM.
    C Class shooter.

I'm not sure what direction you are taking this... Is 55 yards good, or bad, to you? Do you mean that soldiers may have unrealistic terminal ballistic expectations, or that they might be discouraged that they can't hit well at 55 yards?

fwiw, I consider the effective terminal range to be somewhat less than zero, and no more than somewhere around 300 yards. All pistols suck, and a 35 caliber hole (less, obviously for ball) is still a hole, at any distance I can drill that hole.
    Last edited by SLG; 11-26-2015 at 08:14 PM.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    The bad rap wasn't that they weren't accurate. It was that they didn't feed. That was mostly the mags fault, in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    The bad rap wasn't that they weren't accurate. It was that they didn't feed. That was mostly the mags fault, in my experience.
    That is what I remember, checkmate mags. Assuming you're not talking about the blown up guns from the 80's.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    That is what I remember, checkmate mags. Assuming you're not talking about the blown up guns from the 80's.
    No, that's it. We got 3 mags. The Beretta mag worked. The CM mags were trash. They'd feed 3 to 5 rounds then the follower would hang.

You mean the ones that some SF guys had the slides hit them? I seem to remember that's one of those "he said, she said" deals where the root cause is still up for debate.. The large headed hammer pin supposedly fixed that though. From what I've read the checkmate mags, and a lack of any kind of maintenance (recoil, trigger return springs, etc) didn't help either.
    Last edited by ralph; 11-26-2015 at 09:40 PM.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    Maximum effective range of an M9 is 55 yards ,eh?
    Sounds wildly optimistic to me.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

I'm not sure what direction you are taking this... Is 55 yards good, or bad, to you? Do you mean that soldiers may have unrealistic terminal ballistic expectations, or that they might be discouraged that they can't hit well at 55 yards?

fwiw, I consider the effective terminal range to be somewhat less than zero, and no more than somewhere around 300 yards. All pistols suck, and a 35 caliber hole (less, obviously for ball) is still a hole, at any distance I can drill that hole.
    55 yards with what I would consider quality training would be doable. Not easy, but doable. SrA Brown got his hits in between 70 and 72 yards with that exact handgun and ammunition setup.Noteably he practiced with a PT92 on his own time and dime.

Of course if you don't train your personnel 5 yards will be an optimistic range for effective hits.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

55 yards is 50 meters

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

User Tag List