Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sights

Do you believe one set of sights is better suited to for beginers since it may be easier to focus on the front sight of the HD sights when compared to the other sights.

Frank, take the beginners age into consideration. We are seeing more and more older folks getting into defensive shooting at my home range.

IMHO, best to start off most new folks on .22s and plain sights. Folks with vision issues (like me) need the contrast, younger folks, not so much.

I'd also check if they are already shooting their primary defensive firearm as well. If it's something like a M92 or Ruger, replacement high vis sights may not be available.

I have used xs big dots, ameriglo, standard trijicons (3 green vials) and have finally settled with Sevigny carry sights with tritium (single green front with single dimmer yellow rear).
    Phillipians 4:13
    Go Gators/Wildcats!!!
    Glock Cert. Armorer

After being a competitive shooter for the military (many, many, many moons ago) I'm getting back into the sport. Glad I found this forum! Anyway I've been issued a Glock 26 and a 17 with the standard plastic sights. So far I'm spending more time on the fundamentals than worrying about new sights. I tend to be a more instinctive shooter, as long as I'm getting two inch groups at 7 meters I'm happy. I have to say I'm not as quick as I once was but that will come back. I'll wait until the plastic sights break (which shouldn't take long :-) then take a look at the Warren's.

One thing that I have found interesting is the standard sights like to have the white dot on the front sight split the horizon of the rear sight. Instead of the tops of the sights being aligned the front sight likes to be high for me. This is true for both Glocks. Must be my old eyes. Maybe I should consider a shotgun :-)

Good luck in the search for the ever elusive, perfect all around sight.

Moku, folks I worked for a few years back issued G22s with the plastic sights. I found when coaching new shooters, that taking a black felt tipped pen and marking out the white "U" on the rear sight worked well. That helped them focus on the front sight with out the annoyance of the rear sight.
    Last edited by Al T.; 10-02-2011 at 02:11 PM. Reason: typo

Al, I was thinking about doing that. Might speed things up a bit.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Al T. View Post
    that taking a black felt tipped pen and making out the white "U" on the rear sight worked well. That helped them focus on the front sight with out the annoyance of the rear sight.
    I do something similar, but I reverse the sight so the white is facing forward.

Site Supporter
    Here's another side, have we seen any sights that are nice but don't stand up well to usage?

I could've sworn I've read on this forum that there were some issues with vials backing out of Warren sights, is that correct?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BWT View Post
    Here's another side, have we seen any sights that are nice but don't stand up well to usage?
    TruGlo TFO.

Quote Originally Posted by BWT View Post
    I could've sworn I've read on this forum that there were some issues with vials backing out of Warren sights, is that correct?
    Yes, I had multiple M&P Warren front sight vials fall out, but I believe the issue has been rectified. I don't know if the problem was limited to Warren sights though, I *thought* it was the tube supplier/installer who had issues and it impacted multiple manufacturers (don't quote me on that).

User Tag List