Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: .357 Magnum "Sweet Spot?"

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    Assuming this thread is about self defense against humans and not sporting purposes, in what scenarios does a ".357 -P" solve the problem whereas a .38Spl+P does not -- assuming a good bullet is used in either case?
    Your average .38 +P load is pushing 900-1000 FPS, whereas the .357 -P is running around 1100-1200 FPS.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Your average .38 +P load is pushing 900-1000 FPS, whereas the .357 -P is running around 1100-1200 FPS.
    Yes, I get that and am not disputing the difference in power between the two -- but that doesn't really answer my question. I am asking for what practical defensive use is the magnum better than the .38Spl+P ? Is the penetration of the .38Spl+P inadequate? Does it suffer from inadequate expansion? When I carry a revolver it is a 4" barrel gun loaded with the FBI round. This thread is somewhat based on an opinion that the .38Spl+P is not quite enough -- and I am trying to understand the reasoning.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    Yes, I get that and am not disputing the difference in power between the two -- but that doesn't really answer my question. I am asking for what practical defensive use is the magnum better than the .38Spl+P ? Is the penetration of the .38Spl+P inadequate? Does it suffer from inadequate expansion? When I carry a revolver it is a 4" barrel gun loaded with the FBI round. This thread is somewhat based on an opinion that the .38Spl+P is not quite enough -- and I am trying to understand the reasoning.
    That I can't really answer, I carry .38 +Ps in my revolvers, not magnums. Some people want more, but not quite that much more.

Even from 4" barreled revolvers, the 38 Special often falls short of penetration and expansion expectations, especially when barriers are involved.
    http://winchesterle.com/Products/han...es/X38SPD.aspx
    http://winchesterle.com/Products/han...ges/ra38b.aspx
    http://winchesterle.com/Products/han...RA38110HP.aspx

Caleb has my logic just right. The new .38+p loads are adequate (just barely usually, or sometimes not). When adequate they are just a little over 12 inches penetration, the FBI says 12 to 15 inches is best. So, I've got this big L or N frame in my hand, why not go for something a little more capable to get closer to 15 inches and with greater tolerance to heavy clothing, etc. However, I don't want to go all Dirty Harry (yes, I know) with recoil and degraded controllability either. Thus, my search for a .357-P.
    BTW, shot the Rem 125 Golden Saber in a 2.5 inch/28 ounce Night Guard yesterday. Once again, a pleasant load to shoot with one caveat: muzzle flash. Out of the 2.5 barrel it was pretty bright indeed, not blinding but definitely noteworthy. My 4 inch 627 was a good bit better but the flash out of the barrel gap alone was not trivial.
    Last edited by 314159; 12-09-2015 at 06:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 314159 View Post
    Caleb has my logic just right. The new .38+p loads are adequate (just barely usually, or sometimes not). When adequate they are just a little over 12 inches penetration, the FBI says 12 to 15 inches is best. So, I've got this big L or N frame in my hand, why not go for something a little more capable to get closer to 15 inches and with greater tolerance to heavy clothing, etc. However, I don't want to go all Dirty Harry (yes, I know) with recoil and degraded controllability either. Thus, my search for a .357-P.
    BTW, shot the Rem 125 Golden Saber in a 2.5 inch/28 ounce Night Guard yesterday. Once again, a pleasant load to shoot with one caveat: muzzle flash. Out of the 2.5 barrel it was pretty bright indeed, not blinding but definitely noteworthy. My 4 inch 627 was a good bit better but the flash out of the barrel gap alone was not trivial.
    I remember doing a night shoot with my SP101 once with that load. Having a flashbang attached to your gun is fun, but I don't think I'd want to light one off in my loft.

A loud bang and a huge flash at night time can help to terminate fights rapidly. The downside is you might not be able to see enough for a second shot if it is necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
    A loud bang and a huge flash at night time can help to terminate fights rapidly. The downside is you might not be able to see enough for a second shot if it is necessary.
    Having done a lot of night shooting with revolvers, I would say that the effect of the flash and bang if you're behind the gun is considerably over-stated. It's certainly noticeable, but if you're prepared for it, it's definitely going to affect the other guy a lot more.

When I carried the 681PC on duty I ran Federal 357B. My coworkers would bitch about the flash/blast during no light quals but I never had any issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

User Tag List