Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: .357 Magnum "Sweet Spot?"

The Corbon 125gr DPX is loaded to 1300fps and I find it rather pleasant out of an SP101.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Has anyone tried out the Hornady .357 Critical Duty offering?

http://www.hornadyle.com/products/ha...35-gr-flexlock
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

The Hornady Critical duty looks like a better .357-P load than the Remington Golden Sabers. Hornady's test results are certainly impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    That loading was pretty much the original low recoil/mid range load for the .357mag, without being advertised as such.
    If memory serves me, it had pretty good results in actual street use as well.

Site Supporter
    Assuming this thread is about self defense against humans and not sporting purposes, in what scenarios does a ".357 -P" solve the problem whereas a .38Spl+P does not -- assuming a good bullet is used in either case?

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    Assuming this thread is about self defense against humans and not sporting purposes, in what scenarios does a ".357 -P" solve the problem whereas a .38Spl+P does not -- assuming a good bullet is used in either case?
    Ballistically, I would think it should amount to the same thing, assuming velocity is similar, with equal bullet construction and weight. (An example is the Speer Short Barrel Gold Dots.) If shooting large quantities of ammo, well, afterward, it is much easier to clean the chambers when only .357 has been fired. That nasty ring of crud that builds up at the very front of .357 chamber, when shooting .38 Special, is not fun to clean, and until really thoroughly scrubbed, can prevent .357 ammo from entering the chamber completely. I used to largely train with separate revolvers, of the same/similar models, rather than foul my .357 street guns with heavy training. (With one wrist already ailing, nowadays, I mostly just shoot .22 LR, with my S&W Model 17, anyway.)

I have read accounts of hot .38 +P eroding the chambers just ahead of the case, so that when .357 is later fired, the longer brass fire-forms into the eroded areas, causing difficulties with extraction. I cannot cite any source, as that was so very long ago, but to err on the side of caution, have normally shot either .357, or standard-pressure .38, in my .357 revolvers.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    Ballistically, I would think it should amount to the same thing, assuming velocity is similar, with equal bullet construction and weight. (An example is the Speer Short Barrel Gold Dots.) If shooting large quantities of ammo, well, afterward, it is much easier to clean the chambers when only .357 has been fired. That nasty ring of crud that builds up at the very front of .357 chamber, when shooting .38 Special, is not fun to clean, and until really thoroughly scrubbed, can prevent .357 ammo from entering the chamber completely. I used to largely train with separate revolvers, of the same/similar models, rather than foul my .357 street guns with heavy training. (With one wrist already ailing, nowadays, I mostly just shoot .22 LR, with my S&W Model 17, anyway.)

I have read accounts of hot .38 +P eroding the chambers just ahead of the case, so that when .357 is later fired, the longer brass fire-forms into the eroded areas, causing difficulties with extraction. I cannot cite any source, as that was so very long ago, but to err on the side of caution, have normally shot either .357, or standard-pressure .38, in my .357 revolvers.
    Hunting ammo and defensive ammo are not ballistic twins.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    Hunting ammo and defensive ammo are not ballistic twins.
    True, which is why I specified "equal bullet construction and weight," and provided an example of the same bullet loaded in both .38 and .357, at nearly the same velocity, by the same company, for defense. I did not address hunting ammunition at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Hizzie View Post
    The Corbon 125gr DPX is loaded to 1300fps and I find it rather pleasant out of an SP101.
    Thanks for posting this. My formerly-stronger wrist is not aging gracefully, so I find myself looking for milder Magnums to try.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    Has anyone tried out the Hornady .357 Critical Duty offering?

http://www.hornadyle.com/products/ha...35-gr-flexlock
    I followed your link, and this looks interesting, as another candidate for a milder Magnum, that will be gentler on my aging hands. Thanks for posting!

User Tag List