Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: NAA Pug in Duluth pants pocket

I friends with an older gentleman that is able to display some rather amazing feats of accuracy with one of those. Easily ringing the torso shaped steel at 50 yards. Stock sights and all. Definitely unique little pistols.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

From the 1 5/8" barrel of my standard Magnum model, CCI's 30 gr Maxi-Mag +V load does @ 1100 fps and will penetrate 6-7 layers of Kevlar. That's the ballistic equivalent of a .22 LR load fired from a rifle length barrel and the capability of that combination is fairly well established.
    Last edited by 41magfan; 11-26-2015 at 09:42 AM.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Mainsprings for those things are a regular stock item in any retail gunsmithery for a reason.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Belt buckle guns are cool.
    I have the machined aluminum low profile belt buckle for my regular NAA mini-revolver.
    Loaded with .22mag rat shot it makes for a really nice snake charmer when I'm out wandering around.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Mainsprings for those things are a regular stock item in any retail gunsmithery for a reason.
    Yup, you'd think you could just drop it off at the local mall watch repair place and they'd have one in stock.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Can you elaborate? I have very little experience with any of these little guns. I can't consider them smart carry guns, given their manual of arms, but I have wanted to carry one for a while as a tiny field gun to back up my main hunting guns. Dispatch a wounded deer or gather some small game. The gun just isn't up to those tasks though, given that it won't regulate properly.

Jody et al,

If one were to carry one for social purposes, why the Pug over the Black widow? Is it that much easier to conceal? I would think the 2" barrel might be a slight advantage, possibly for bullet stabilization as well as safety, velocity and sight radius.

Also, does anyone have any experience with the skeletonized belt buckle? Will it hold anything other than the most basic model?

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Can you elaborate? I have very little experience with any of these little guns. I can't consider them smart carry guns, given their manual of arms, but I have wanted to carry one for a while as a tiny field gun to back up my main hunting guns. Dispatch a wounded deer or gather some small game. The gun just isn't up to those tasks though, given that it won't regulate properly.

Jody et al,

If one were to carry one for social purposes, why the Pug over the Black widow? Is it that much easier to conceal? I would think the 2" barrel might be a slight advantage, possibly for bullet stabilization as well as safety, velocity and sight radius.

Also, does anyone have any experience with the skeletonized belt buckle? Will it hold anything other than the most basic model?
    The mainsprings are tiny and will break if you shoot very much, change them out like you would recoil springs in an auto (except more frequently, like every 500 rounds).
    But be warned, it's like working on a watch and is a real pain in the ass, but NAA has excellent customer service and will usually take care of any issues gratis.

I primarily use mine for snake and rat duty when I'm out in the field, so mine's usually loaded with .22mag rat shot.
    These things are extremely picky as to what ammo shoots well out of them. Try multiple brands, weights and bullet profiles. You'll eventually come across the one yours likes.
    If I'm using it as a "backup" it's really more of a tiny pocket flashbang.
    Say I get caught standing around with my hands in my pockets. Plan is to draw and try to shoot them in the face, hopefully that resets their loop long enough for me to drop it and go for my "real pistol" carried AIWB.

I like the Pug because it's so tiny that I can still have a knife and my keys clipped to the same pocket and they don't get in the way of each other.

The skeletonized belt buckle is what I have and it only works with the standard model. It's slow to draw and not really low profile but works great for field stuff.
    Last edited by JodyH; 11-26-2015 at 10:26 AM.

I have the Freedom Arms belt buckle model. Though discontinued, it is extremely popular with Wyoming ranchers when loaded with shot for dispatching snakes and persuading charging bulls to turn around. The .22mag model is a handful to control and not fun to shoot.

SLG, if you would like to check it out and wear it for a few months/year, lemme know. I'll send it to your FFL.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    The .22mag model is a handful to control and not fun to shoot.
    I find the .22mags to be very fun to shoot, especially the Pug with it's rubber grip.
    Back when you could find ammo on the shelf we've gone through 150 rounds sitting around the campfire plinking cans off a log like the scene from "The Unforgiven".

Jody,

Good info, thanks. The 1" pug makes more sense in the role you describe. With all the hand grenades floating around in the EDC picture thread, I have gone to carrying a flashbang in my pocket. Might not have room to add the pug to that:-)

LL, thanks for the offer, but I'll pass for now. Do they really use a .22 to hopefully turn a bovine? I think I'd go more the Keith route, with my .44.

My minimaster is very easy and comfortable to shoot. I suspect that the grip is totally responsible for that. If I can get it to regulate, I'll be very happy. May have to keep an eye out for a pug or black widow to play with.

User Tag List