Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Proper strong hand grip?

To revive some ancient history in hopes it may help someone else....

I have been doing a lot of training lately and have some more data to add on this. For me I shoot better with no gaps (pics 1 and 2) for a what I think are a few reasons.

1. I am just simply getting more contact which by feel makes me feel in more control of the gun.

2. The lack of gaps means that there is no where for the gun to go in my hand once I bring my support hand on it and squeeze. With the gaps, when I added support hand, I noticed that the gun would move more not only during squeezing trigger but during recoil as well.

3. The lack of gaps actually makes the circumference that my support hand has to wrap around to be smaller so my support hand wraps around more of the gun/strong hand and allows for a tighter grip.

The problem is getting that grip at speed during the draw. Over the last few days I re-read what Mr white said about it in the previous post and it helped immensely. I'm and idiot for forgetting it!

Hope this helps someone. Ymmv

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Cool Breeze; 10-23-2016 at 12:47 AM.

A bit of a drift here.

If you are having a hard time getting the grip you want/need at speed then look strongly and the holster.. for a holster to be worth its salt you have to be able to get a COMPLET "full firing grip" at speed wile the gun is in the holster.. If you cant do that then you need to adjust it or get another one. ( yes even if I made it... ) The holster is the most important piece of gear you'll buy so get one that really works.
    Last edited by Prdator; 10-23-2016 at 09:49 AM.
    Founder Of Keepers Concealment and Lead trainer. Affiliate of CCW Safe, Use discount code ( KC10off )Sign up here https://ccwsafe.com/ref/B65241653

My grip from the bottom looks like your #2 picture. I don't have large hands and this placement allows me to have a flatter hand contact like your's and it also gives me a better alignment of the muzzle when I present. No gaps in the grip are generally more ideal when it comes to muzzle rotation, however hand size can determine where the hand may fall on the weapon.

This offset takes the pistol much farther out of forearm bone alignment which bothers some people, but that muzzle / forearm bone alignment has little meaning to me in my shooting style. With my mod iso, thumbs forward preference I am a proponent of setting up the gun with a muzzle alignment to the dominant eye as we present the weapon with little to no consideration to the forearm bone alignment. In other words I don't like a shooter to have to use any type of tension into the weapon in order to make it point straight to the target in relation to our line of sight. I am not 100% rigid on this, it is just a preference. Some shooters results may differ so being able to make adjustments may be necessary.

This article was posted on this site awhile back http://www.bullseyepistol.com/zins.htm I think verifies what has already been said here. My grip looked more like 3 and 4 until a few weeks ago. I changed to what Zins describes in his article and it has improved the consistency of my shooting. Having less tissue squishing around between the pistol and bone makes sense to me.

I'm still having a difficult time getting the correct grip from the holster. I never thought about the possibility of it being a holster issue until it was mentioned above. I think I need to suck it up and try one of Prdators holsters for my Glock.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

I can't help those that roll SS carry very much. If I'm carrying SS it's in a Safariland and pretty easy to get a solid grip just by getting to it pretty hard.

As to aiwb drawing I've found 2 things are very critical for me:

Proper ride height. I like a mid to mid-high ride height. This gives me ample room to solidly grip and wrap before I snatch.

A damn good undergarment. Something that is form fitting and has "glide" to it. When I jam my thumb into my abdomen to assure purchase on the grip, I want that thumb to just glide instead of biting into the bit of gut I still have left. I've switched to dry-fit type and compression tops exclusively for this reason. Since doing so, my flubbed grip rate has dropped AND I have fewer thumbnail bruises on mah belly!

Quote Originally Posted by GLB View Post
    To help with getting a full/ proper grip try pushing down on your handgun grip as if you were trying to push it deeper in the holster before you draw it out. When moving fast to get the weapon out of the holster a bad grip is sometimes caused because the shooter is trying to snatch it out for speed. It may seem slower to drive the hand down on the draw to seat the hand but if done correctly you should find that your index/sights line up faster and more consistent.
    Good advice above.

With a solid belt and holster combination your draw speed will not suffer. The gun will in effect pop out of the holster because of the rebound motion of driving into the gun and working off the resistance. If you are not used to doing this start slowly with dry presentations and pick up speed as you feel more comfortable.

User Tag List