Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Effect of sun angle on iron sights

The angle of the light makes a difference with my shooting, especially now that my eyes are aging, so that I am now aligning the farther fuzzball with the nearer fuzzy notched rectangle.
    Last edited by Rex G; 12-06-2017 at 02:45 PM.

This idea was discussed in the recent low light class I posted. Walt indicated the flashlight could induce similar problems. It came up because nearly all of the right hand shooters were shooting left - granted the targets in use had a light colored revolver on the viewer's left hand side. I need to work on that a bunch more to better understand it with people using light techniques that put the source on either side of the gun and WMLs that are under the gun.

Within a couple of coming back from a middle east trip I took an indoor pistol class from Awerbuck. I was having issues seeing the sights and dealing with the effects of lighting changes. Took him a while to isolate it and help me process the differences in what I was seeing.

For anyone who has not yet watched it:

My first experience with this condition came a couple of months ago. I was working on a 50 yard 12" plate with the sun coming directly at me early in the morning. My shots were consistently high. At the suggestion of another instructor, I moved off to the side where the shooting position was in shadow, and I got my hits. Never had experienced that before with a handgun. Very enlightening.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Can you imagine how this thread would have gone, shooting a Glock, if the sun was on the left?
    This is why my MGW sight pusher is always in my range bag.
    Last edited by WDR; 12-16-2017 at 03:29 AM. Reason: Fumble fingers and auto correct at 1:30 AM...

User Tag List