Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tell me again how much better...

Tell me again how much better...

... Surefire is over StreamLight.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...t-point-blank/
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Nice - this will probably lead to scores of youtube videos of people shooting weapons lights to see which one is more "bullet proof" in the 1 out of a millionth chance this happens to them.

Site Supporter
    My agency is now issuing stream lights. They are professional gear. Stream light is also very good about replacing units that go down. However if you need truly bombproof lights Surefires are a bit more durable.

Bombproof as opposed to...bulletproof?

I kid. I kid.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

The reason you never hear about this stuff with surefires is because they aren't weak like stream light. That stream light ate that burett like the bullied 3rd grader it was. A surefire would have ricochet'd the round back into the suspect, wiping off some powder from the lens while it was at it too.

Reminds me of the Jim Cirillo story of the big guy one of their team shot multiple times in the face with a snub .38 loaded with 200 grain roundnose lead. The big criminal was on his feet, getting arrested and cuffed and asked for a tissue to blow his nose; and expelled one of the .38 slugs into the Kleenex.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

"The officers retreated from the house..."

Wait a minute. The guy takes fire at bad breath range, and RETREATS?

When is the awards ceremony? Because this deal is tailor-made for something like LAPD's new "Not Taking A Life Medal", or whatever that ridiculous bullshit is.

Jesus Christ on a crutch...

SureFire stuff is excellent, but definitely over-hyped for ordinary folks. The extra durability is certainly needed for military applications; that quality made John Matthews a very wealthy man. I've been using their stuff since it first appeared; my 6P has "Laser Products" on the tail cap instead of "SureFire", if that tells you anything. But for quite some time now, we have been able to get stuff that was just as good, practically speaking for the average guy (and cops), for a lot less $$.

SureFire WML switches don't do it for me. I'm talking about the rear-mount switch designed to be utilized with the off thumb. Tape switches, of course, are another matter. The push-in motion (parallel to the bore axis) required for momentary illumination is not a natural movement- for me. The push-down motion (ninety degrees to the bore axis) on the StreamLight's switch- and InSight, et. al.- feels more natural... to me.

Also... SureFire went through three iterations before getting their beam just right. The X200A was like a frigging aircraft search light- tremendous throw, but hardly any spill. IOW, you could spot a raccoon in a tree from 100 yards away, easily. But in a room, you couldn't see two feet on either side of the beam. And if the walls were painted a light color, you couldn't see jack, period, due to the powerful reflections of that beam from the walls.

The X200B was exactly the opposite; the entire room was lit up more than adequately, but outside you couldn't see much past 20 yards. I don't remember what the next version was called, but it seemed to reach a happy medium.

The TLR-1, OTOH, along with the InSight M3 series, has always been usable in both scenarios from the get-go. We (LSP SWAT) were using M3s back when the technology was still a new idea. Yes, SureFire had WMLs long before, but they were pretty complex critters that were a semi-permanent attachment to the pistol/rifle. AFAIK, InSight Technologies' M3 was the pioneer for easy on/easy off (as in attaching to the weapon) WML for handguns.

We operated" 70+ of them, and IIRC the only issues we saw were initially when a few of them launched off the front of our G35s during firing. InSight sent us some stronger latch springs; problem solved. The real problem was finding both duty and "tactical" holsters to fit the combination. Sometimes, being on the bleeding edge, as they say, has some major drawbacks.

Anyway... I have been using these things for 20+ years now. IMO, a TLR-1 that you can get for just over a hundred dollar bill will serve the average guy, for use in AnyTown USA, just as well as a SureFire product that costs three times (or more) as much.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Name:  11059906_947579741949835_3225168633362504429_o.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  46.3 KB
    I have a TLR-1s on an M&P9. It's on the left. (Photo courtesy of Pat Rogers.)
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

The TLR w/laser has a crappy little cheap ass mode toggle switch in a vulnerable location. Other than that it's ok.
    Last edited by JodyH; 11-24-2015 at 09:25 AM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Name:  11059906_947579741949835_3225168633362504429_o.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  46.3 KB
    I have a TLR-1s on an M&P9. It's on the left. (Photo courtesy of Pat Rogers.)
    What is on the right?

User Tag List