Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Winter Gloves

Disregard...same question as Dove.
    Last edited by taadski; 11-24-2015 at 01:47 PM.

Sorry, couldn't remember off the top of my head. OR Vert Gloves are the ones I prefer. True warmth and weapons use are not possible, so everyone has to find their own balance. Like GJM, if it's really cold, I wear pig gloves under sheepskin mitts. Nothing warmer, imo. Under certain circumstnces, I will also use the PIG gloves or the Vert gloves in conjunction with a Kifaru handwarmer.

I'm seeing some insane discount prices on these OR gloves. Even the Overlords http://www.outdoorresearch.com/en/me...html?limit=all
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

The only time I use gloves is when I am doing snow removal or an extended outdoor activity. I use some north face gloves. If it is cold enough for me to wear gloves then no matter what I use they all hamper manipulating a firearm.

The OR hot weather shooting gloves I got on a sale last Summer are the first gloves I've found I can really shoot a pistol with.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Sorry, couldn't remember off the top of my head. OR Vert Gloves are the ones I prefer. True warmth and weapons use are not possible, so everyone has to find their own balance. Like GJM, if it's really cold, I wear pig gloves under sheepskin mitts. Nothing warmer, imo. Under certain circumstnces, I will also use the PIG gloves or the Vert gloves in conjunction with a Kifaru handwarmer.
    Thanks for looking.

Site Supporter
    I started out with a pair of browning thin leather gloves made for trap shooters; but for the last 15 years I just use nomex flight gloves. They are thin and cheap so I have a bunch of them. I keep a pair in every winter jacket I own plus spares in the bag. I use the black ones that turn your hands black when they are new and get wet. I have heavier gloves for extreme cold but I rarely use them.

For several years I ran Blackhawk SOLAG gloves - which, despite decent protection provided exceptional dexterity. I found very little if any detriment to shooting while wearing them (maybe because I suck so bad to start with - it's hard to get worse?). I stopped buying them because they were the least durable gloves I've ever owned; if I could get 12 months use out of them before the leather on the fingers tore through, that was an "experienced" pair of gloves.

Last year I bought a pair of Overlords, because they were the uberest. I find them definitely "meh." Wore them today when it was in the 20s, and my fingers were cold. Dexterity is OK, but there's enough "slop" at the tips of the fingers that they're not as precise feeling as the SOLAGs. And, they have several inside seams that have some kind of "ouchy" material added - so that long-term comfort is an issue. All in all, I would not invest in them again.

I need to get a pair of PIGs - how do they run on sizing? I like my gloves snug - loose sloppy gloves are for sledding, not for work...

I'd also like to get a good pair of out shoveling snow gloves - frankly, if I get into a shooting while I'm out shoveling my driveway, it'll be with the J-frame I shove in my jacket pocket, so "wings off a fly" accuracy isn't happening anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    I need to get a pair of PIGs - how do they run on sizing? I like my gloves snug - loose sloppy gloves are for sledding, not for work...
    The PIGs are snug. I normally wear large gloves, and large PIG gloves fit me very snugly (I actually prefer XL PIGs; though they fit a little looser, they are easier to don and doff and don't restrict my range of motion at all).

I usually get weird looks when I say this, but winter/cold-weather golf gloves could be what you're looking for.

They are water-proofish, pretty warm, give great tactile feedback, and at $15 a pop, I don't mind buying a new set at the beginning of each winter.
    Last edited by Eli; 11-26-2015 at 02:26 AM.

User Tag List