Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Winter Gloves

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Ive had pretty good results with deerskin gloves. I buy them pretty much skin tight and let them stretch and break in some, its best when they have no wrinkles at all when broken in, or bunched up gunk at the end of the fingers, but fit down into the valleys between your fingers. When broken in I can pull them off with my teeth on the middle two fingers. I can pull individual screws out of my nail bags and run the screw gun without drama. Can also shoot in them, handle cartridges, load a lever action, at least in rifle calibers. I wear them inside of large mittens in extreme cold. The mittens have eskimo strings so they can be pulled off with the teeth and dropped and not lose them.

The deerskins need to be bought in person to get a good fit. The size markings aren't all that consistent. It takes a while to be able to identify the flanky spongy leather that stretches quickly and doesnt wear as long. The deer skin aren't super tough, but I'm willing to buy several sets to get me through a winter if they allow me to work. Not working they last much longer. Have also used the insulated deerskin gloves. They are a lot warmer, but you don't have the level of dexterity.

The deerskin is just enough grippy/clingy that it isn't hard to hold on to things, and its easy to carry a rifle, but not hard to get on and off when sized right. I can pull them on with my teeth also.

The weird orange color most are fades to a nice mellow dead grass color if left in the sun a couple weeks or so on the dash board. If they get wet they will turn your hands orange.
    I like these as well, but always have issues with sizing. Any brand you like a lot? I've used Geier for a while and they seem to work better than some other I've tried.

Not an operator, but I get cold easily. I use OR gloves for driving, walking the dog, etc if its around 30-4* but windy/cold for me.

I recently just purchased a pair of Heritage gloves that might be a bit small for me, but I think they'll loosen up a bit - I hope, b/c I'd rather have a snug fit for dexterity purposes. They also have a handy (pun intended) hand warmer pocket. I really like that the touch screen is on the thumb (I'd like forefinger too, but) and the whole glove is waterproof and the gripping ability on the palm side is nearly spiderman quality.
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

Site Supporter
    Well, I am returning the Hatch Arctics, which, for winter gloves, look pretty good and even though I didn't live fire, I did do a bunch of dry fire and they are 'adequate' for my finger/gun (Sig P320) combo. After spending a lot of time researching online, I made a choice. I refuse to go to mittens as they completely negate shooting, so the warmest GLOVE is a "Baxter State" from LL Bean. They only cost $3 more than the Hatch Artics. I'm just sick of cold hands.

I've got a pair of Carhartt "Flip It" convertible mittens coming in tomorrow (fingers crossed.)
    With all the snow Northern VA is getting this weekend, I'm sure I'll have plenty of chances to do some dry-fire work with them in between clearing off my car.
    Last edited by Dropkick; 01-20-2016 at 08:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    I like these as well, but always have issues with sizing. Any brand you like a lot? I've used Geier for a while and they seem to work better than some other I've tried.

Sizing is problematic. All Ive seen of any brand varied somewhat within the listed sizes. I will only buy them by trying them on. I've been buying mine at a little hole in the wall shop. They have scads of the deer and elk skin gloves. I just start handling them and trying them on, and looking to avoid the stretchy flank leather that loses its shape and doesn't wear well. Don't recall the brand, but they are made in China. Not sure where they get the deer skins. I've bought deerskin gloves in the Ace hardware also, and in western shops as roping gloves with reinforced palms (big money for good ropers). The cheapy chinese ones I buy are $12/pair. I usually buy a couple or so pair at a time so I have spares if they wear through. Not doing carpentry work, they seem to last longer for some reason. Think I'm still wearing a pair from last winter.

New cold weather gloves from Arc'teryx. I'll have to see if they have any next time I pass by the factory.

http://leaf.arcteryx.com/ProductFind...ategory=Gloves

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin View Post
    New cold weather gloves from Arc'teryx. I'll have to see if they have any next time I pass by the factory.

Very interested in those cold weather models. Ordered a pair of the Assault FR yesterday after being out of stock for months.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin View Post

I like those!

BTW, used my hatch winter gloves all day today, warm hands, good work done in the snow.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Recent events have me wondering if there are any updates to this thread.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I've run the Outdoor Research Alibi IIs for five winters now. They are okay. The dexterity they offer is excellent, but the warmth is non-existent (for cold, in TX you would be fine). The new design seems to have better hook and loop. The ones I have, have terrible loop side velcro, enough I sewed on patches on felt to hold them.

All-in-all, I would call them 'acceptable', but maybe not worth the price of admission.

I'll probably try SKD PIGs soon, lined and unlined. The size ranges offered should get me close for my 'farmer' hands.

User Tag List