Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pretty Happy With This Find

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar

Pretty Happy With This Find

I picked this Model 66 up last month.

Name:  M-66.JPG
Views: 498
Size:  45.9 KB

It was in the case at a LGS. It was marked about $100 cheaper than the M-19s next to it, probably because Cletus had, in the past, polished it. And, to be honest, he didn't do that good of a job. But it had S&W target stocks (which I hate) and the lockup felt really nice, almost newish.

They had two. I called a buddy, who drove over and rescued the other one.

Nice grab.

When those first came out a buddy bought one and showed it to me.
    It generated serious envy in me for a while.
    I never got that exact model but the 2.5 inch M66 I got later helped me get
    over it. Getting into .41 Magnums also helped.

Very nice. Those are the things to get now because prices are going to go up. (I should know. I had the opportunity to get a barely used one for $300 a few years back, and let it go).

Nice snag! It is truly scary what used Smith wheelguns are going for now.

I used to have a 4" model 66, and truly regret selling it.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Nice snag! It is truly scary what used Smith wheelguns are going for now.
    I know. Why I bought it.

I shoot with some younger folks and they hate me bringing out the K frames.... If we do a walk-back drill, I'm it past 30 yards or so.. And it ain't really me, it's the 4 inch tube and 148 grain wadcutters....

Quote Originally Posted by Al T. View Post
    I shoot with some younger folks and they hate me bringing out the K frames.... If we do a walk-back drill, I'm it past 30 yards or so.. And it ain't really me, it's the 4 inch tube and 148 grain wadcutters....
    It's funny, I was in a shooting class this weekend. In the final exercise, we had to pull off two failure to stop drills surrounded by multiple no-shoot targets.

I ran it with a (new to me) 4" 686 that I had never live-fired up to that point, just dry practice. Ten-ring and head shots with zero problems, and that smoooooooth DA pull was a big part of that.

I do so love a nice 3" or 4" wheelgun.

Quote Originally Posted by Al T. View Post
    Its you. You obviously understand the concepts of sight alignment and trigger control.

I have been seeing this quite a bit lately; i.e., youngsters (and that is a relative term) who know nothing but combat tupperware, that simply cannot hit much past 15 yards. Of course, that is almost always because they have never been exposed to distance shooting and taught how to do it. The "youngsters" I know who do well at distance are either competitive shooters or serious enthusiasts who have taken the time/effort to learn.

Yes, a four inch revolver with good sights and trigger, using wadcutters, makes it seem easy. But only if you know how to do it in the first place...

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    Its you. You obviously understand the concepts of sight alignment and trigger control.
    Luckily for me, as I started shooting I randomly found this forum. People here have been generous with their advice and that's helped a lot. The other benefit is it helps me set a standard for myself as to what good shooting is. Most people probably compare themselves to others on a public range if that's the only other comparisons they've got. I don't think I've ever seen people really do group shooting on the range past maybe 10 yards, let alone shoot at as high of a level as many of you guys do, so it's easy for someone to say they're doing great when they hit anywhere on the human-shaped silhouette at 25 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by scw2 View Post
    ... it's easy for someone to say they're doing great when they hit anywhere on the human-shaped silhouette at 25 yards.
    Exactly.

User Tag List