Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Week 139: Pistol NOW!

Nice "brass to the face" er go pro on the last shot from the G26!

Quote Originally Posted by imp1295 View Post
    Nice "brass to the face" er go pro on the last shot from the G26!
    Yes! But it tonked the GoPro. I get a kick out of watching the water sprinklers these capture pretty well.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

DotW 139 NOW:

Name:  IMG_0708.JPG
Views: 189
Size:  29.2 KB

Pistol G-3 G-17 with Warren sights, open carry in a Blade-Tech holster.
    Raw time: 10.58 clean.
    Total Score 10.58
    Pass.
    Things I noticed: I did the rough math before I shot and decided I could probably do this within the time limit and get good hits. Plan ahead is a good plan.

I'm liking the drive the dot sights.

I did a second run in 9.98 clean.

Pistol, holster, concealment (optional) used: G19 gen 4, Raven, Phantom Light Bearing, IWB
    Raw time: 9.64
    Penalties: 0
    Total score: 9.64
    Pass or Fail: Pass
    Anything you noticed: New grip is working great other than preventing slide lock

[IMG][/IMG]

Pistol, holster, concealment (optional) used: G19 gen 4, Raven, Phantom Light Bearing, IWB
    Raw time: 9.79
    Penalties: 4
    Total score: 13.79
    Pass or Fail: Fail
    Anything you noticed:

[IMG][/IMG]

Mike

Equipment: Sig 226, Safariland 6360, 2 down jackets and a groovy Arcteryx hat b/c it was 20 degrees and snowy. We got 40" of snow in about 30 hours last week. Took some effort to get the little FS two track to my shooting area driven in. :-P

First run outta the box was cold (and cold ;-))
    7.31 -4
    Fail at 11.31 adjusted.

I shot it again and tried to REALLY focus on SEEING the front sight return each time. Still got a little loose (as in lost vision) in the middle somewhere but kept it clean at 8.92. Horrific reload but I'll take it. Pass.

Negatively taped B-8 after the last run.

One last run, again focusing on the vision thing. Better. Another shite reload (worst of the series at 2.80) but a steady pretty repeatable shooting pace.
    8.71 clean.
    Pass.

Takeaways:
    Good exercise. Time seems generous, but like a lot of these drills of late, it's hard (at least for me) to judge that ahead of time if you haven't shot them before. With some reps, it becomes more clear how to maximize one's score. Shifting up and down is a skill set in and of itself. Oh, and picking up brass in deep new snow sucks, btw. ;-)

t

Gen 3 G19

Raw time: 10:47

Penalty: one second for starting at low ready. No holstered draws allowed at my range.

Total score: 11:47

Fail

It appears the Defoor front sight will have to go. Indoors it is impossible to get any sort of front sight focus when placed against a black target.

Excellent trigger work without the benefit of sights.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Ironic timing for a 16 shot drill eh?

Quote Originally Posted by 42TNred View Post
    It appears the Defoor front sight will have to go. Indoors it is impossible to get any sort of front sight focus when placed against a black target.
    Is it impossible or is it very difficult? I ask because my vision was helped enormously by working through actually focusing on the Defoor front in difficult indoor lighting conditions. That was in a circumstance where it was difficult, but not impossible, to focus on the front sight. Impossible is different and not worth chasing. Just wanted to mention that experience in case it's a similar opportunity for you.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    Is it impossible or is it very difficult? I ask because my vision was helped enormously by working through actually focusing on the Defoor front in difficult indoor lighting conditions. That was in a circumstance where it was difficult, but not impossible, to focus on the front sight. Impossible is different and not worth chasing. Just wanted to mention that experience in case it's a similar opportunity for you.
    Great observation and I appreciate your input. "Impossible" probably was an exaggeration based upon my frustration to be able to quickly index the front sight in the darkness of the range at any distance of less than 7 yards. I'm 57 and my eyesight has changed over the past few years and while I see well enough at distance, up close my world is blurry. I have to use glasses for reading and computer work. I've tried using readers for shooting but they make the target too blurry. I just changed out the front sight this morning for an Ameriglo Fiber Optic. I'll be interested to see what the difference is. I may end up taking your advice and going back to the black Defoor front just to see if I can improve my vision by focusing on the front sight as you suggest. I'm always open to learning and improving. Thanks again.

User Tag List