Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Week 139: Pistol NOW!

Week 139: Pistol NOW!

Week 139: Pistol NOW!

Results may be posted until December 20th, 2015

Designed by: Unknown
    Range: 5 yards
    Target: B8 repair center, download here: https://pistol-forum.com/attachment....1&d=1322428748
    Start Position: Holstered or ready
    Rounds Fired: 16

Start with the holstered gun loaded with exactly 15 rounds. On signal, draw and shoot 15 rounds to the B8 repair center, reload, then shoot 1 round to the B8 repair center.

Your score is your time, plus one second for each shot not in the black (9-ring or better.) A passing score is 11 seconds or less.

If your range doesn't allow you to draw from the holster, you may start from a ready position instead, and add one second to your total time.

Please report the following when you post your results in this thread:

Pistol, holster, concealment (optional) used
    Raw time
    Penalties
    Total score
    Pass or Fail
    Anything you noticed

Training with firearms is an inherently dangerous activity. Be sure to follow all safety protocols when using firearms or practicing these drills. These drills are provided for information purposes only. Use at your own risk.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

This looks really fun!

I also really like how the DOTW kinda goes along with the current theme of PF. We've been on bill drills and proper grip for prolonged strings of fire and what not and then this pops up! Very cool Gabe!

Our overlords in Canuckland have deemed 10 round mags to be infinitely more safe than standard capacity mags, so I will need to reload in the middle of this drill. But sounds like fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Wannabe View Post
    This looks really fun!

I also really like how the DOTW kinda goes along with the current theme of PF. We've been on bill drills and proper grip for prolonged strings of fire and what not and then this pops up! Very cool Gabe!
    Glad to hear you like it! I too really enjoy it when I can post a DotW that is aimed squarely at some or another discussion we are having.

Thanks to JHC and Kevin B. for suggesting this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Clobbersauras View Post
    Our overlords in Canuckland have deemed 10 round mags to be infinitely more safe than standard capacity mags, so I will need to reload in the middle of this drill. But sounds like fun!
    I didn't think about that. I don't have any authoritah, but I hereby declare it an acceptable alternative to load with 11, shoot 11, reload and shoot 5. Whatever you gotta do, just note it in the results.
    Lord of the Food Court

Is there any reason drills may have a higher round count like this, instead of 5-10 shot string? I just always wonder whether I’d get more out of running a drill multiple times with a reduced round count versus one run with more rounds. In any case, this one sounds tough but possibly doable and seems like a FAST lite.

Not to answer for the other guys, but I think long strings of fire really put your grip and maybe some other stuff to the test. You can get away with a crappy grip for a few shots. I'm guessing 16 fast shots is going to take a well placed gorilla grip.

Not to answer for the other guys, but I think long strings of fire really put your grip and maybe some other stuff to the test. You can get away with a crappy grip for a few shots. I'm guessing 16 fast shots is going to take a well placed gorilla grip.
    I agree. I have a problem with Bill Drills where my last shot or 2 are too high. I'm looking forward to shooting this drill.

I really like the IDPA Classifier for a test. You have to fire 90 rounds in various ways without making mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by scw2 View Post
    Is there any reason drills may have a higher round count like this, instead of 5-10 shot string? I just always wonder whether I’d get more out of running a drill multiple times with a reduced round count versus one run with more rounds. In any case, this one sounds tough but possibly doable and seems like a FAST lite.
    Wannabe pretty much nailed it. Longer strings of fire tax everything that much more - grip and mental/visual attention especially. So, this drill is the way it is...because that's how it was written (not by me.) With the drill written this way, it will lean less on the draw and more on grip and continuity of attention. If it had been written as three strings of five, for example, then the draw would matter more and grip and continuity of attention less. They would still be significantly taxed with a five round string, but not as much as fifteen. And a lot more than if it were fifteen one shot draws. That would be much more about the draw and much less taxing on grip. Just factors to be shuffled around for different points of emphasis in order to focus on specific aspects of our overall skill.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    I really like the IDPA Classifier for a test. You have to fire 90 rounds in various ways without making mistakes.
    Thank you Bill, now I has lulz.
    Lord of the Food Court

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    I agree. I have a problem with Bill Drills where my last shot or 2 are too high. I'm looking forward to shooting this drill.

I've shot this twice in the last couple weeks since KB showing to me. So far I've not managed to count to 15 so it was basically a suprise reload. That's a different twist for me too.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Name:  IMG_20151121_100719084.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  27.0 KB

G17 from AIWB under a Kuhl Thor pullover.

I guess that is a pass. Felt really slow. Averaged about .40 splits. I am going to blame it on the gloves I was wearing.

User Tag List