Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Leather Holster Retention

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    I have a 31" waist and pancake holsters never worked for me. They pull too tight and are extremely uncomfortable, and it makes the holster way too tight to draw the pistol from.

I know all the hand boning looks cool, but does nothing for functionality and winds up making the holster too tight to use. Then it has to be stretched out with a plastic sack and then it winds up shrinking back and is a forever PITA. I've been through it with Milt Sparks, Alessi, Brommeland, and 5-Shot.

Never again with leather.
    Maybe it's your holster position and not the holster? Or maybe it's your body shape to holster maker and not a leather vs kydex issue?

I use a JRC AIWB (P30) currently and I've carried kydex (Keepers) in the past. Both are great, but for me, I love leather. FYI: 5'6" 135# and 30" waist.
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

Leading with that I both avoid leather gear and don't work in that medium...

Depending on how it's put together, the retention characteristics of leather rigs seem to increase when off-axis forces are applied to the weapon. By off-axis, I mean most anything other then straight in or straight out movements of the weapon to and from the holster. Thumbbreak rigs are often relatively loose fit once released, so they're not the best example; but pancake hip rigs or those with metal stiffeners inside really seem to demonstrate this well. Boning seems to add some to that, but how much is beyond my men. My hypothesis is that it has to do with the depth and yeilding quality of the leather, allowing the weapon's various surfaces to dig into them during a coarse takeaway attempt.

Short version: while not my bag, leather has positive retention characteristics that other materials may not.

Quote Originally Posted by dieselscout80 View Post
    Is this to let a leather holster dry?
    Yes, the purpose of swapping holsters is to let the holster dry, either from sweat or from rain/snow. Two holsters swapped daily last much longer than two holsters solely used until no longer fit for service.

User Tag List