Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: How I learned to Stop Worrying and Love the 3rd Gen S&W

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Digiroc View Post
    The hunt for Smith 3rd gen accessories is part of the joy of owning these classics. I have more holsters than guns. They are out there and available for the diligent searcher. EBay often has some and the Smith & Wesson forum is also a good resource. I just bought two DiSantis leather holsters, one for the medium frame semis and one for a J frame from a S&W forum member.

While you are unlikely to find one at your local gun shop, a bit of sleuthing will get you what you need.

Digiroc
    I have a few pretty nice leather holsters for 6906s. PM me if interested, or maybe I'll get off my arse and put them in the classifieds.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I admit that I am a Smith & Wesson brand loyalist who is a big Gen3 fan. I have limited my accumulating to 9mm and .40 S&W with several models in each of the 3900, 4000, 5900, 6900 series. I avoided the .45 ACPs because there were so many nice models available that I'd have to buy another gun safe. My wife told me last year at this time that I might need a twelve-step group soon. I vowed not to buy any more in 2019, but that resolution failed before January became February and I had a nice model 3913LS in hand. A couple of months later, I saw a CS40 at a give-away price and snap it up. I enjoy shooting all my Gen3s - TDA and DAO semi-autos.

Early 5904

https://www.instagram.com/p/BusINLAj...=1s0ulgyhjlf3k
    Hated giving up my 3rd gen guns because they worked and DASA made sense to me. Shot and carried 3/4 of them with this 1988 5904 in IDPA and on duty. This gun, wearing RoGard and NP3, was in one of the first batches sent out to PD's or so I've been told. Shot a preproduction of this gun that had a mix of 459 and 5904 features...one extractor replaced, one ejector. When one goes, replace them both.
    Last edited by Jhp147; 11-16-2019 at 02:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    I was in Vancouver in 2018 and I'm 95% sure I saw 3rd gens in cop holsters at the airport--stainless, black grips, silhouette looked about right for a 59XX. I don't think airport cops are part of the RCMP... but... seems like the guns are still in service there. Also pretty sure I saw a 3rd gen in an NYPD holster when I was in NYC this spring.
    I've always been surprised at how many Smiths I've noticed in NYPD holsters when I've been there.
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    I've always been surprised at how many Smiths I've noticed in NYPD holsters when I've been there.
    FYI, as per an NYPD MOS friend of mine, the S&W 3rd.Generation 5946 and it's off duty iterations (3914, 3913, 3954 etc) are no longer authorized, but grandfathered in. This is the current authorized lineup: On Duty- Sig P226, GLOCK 17 and 19; Off Duty- S&W Shield, Springfield XDs, GLOCK Gen 4/5 and Sig 239 DAO.
    My trips into NYC reveal plenty of 5646s still in the duty holsters of officers, although as time goes by that will change.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Det1397 View Post
    FYI, as per an NYPD MOS friend of mine, the S&W 3rd.Generation 5946 and it's off duty iterations (3914, 3913, 3954 etc) are no longer authorized, but grandfathered in. This is the current authorized lineup: On Duty- Sig P226, GLOCK 17 and 19; Off Duty- S&W Shield, Springfield XDs, GLOCK Gen 4/5 and Sig 239 DAO.
    My trips into NYC reveal plenty of 5646s still in the duty holsters of officers, although as time goes by that will change.
    Yup. The Glock 17 was added when S&W ceased even limited production of the 5946. Fun fact - NYPD mandates their G17s be carried with 15 round magazines to match the capacity of the other authorized duty guns. I’m thinking this is mostly for admin purposes like ammo issue and range quals. With 40,000 cops most of whom aren’t gun people I can see why they might do something like that.

Re: off duty I thought only the DAO iterations (3953/3954) were authorized.

Joining late.My father was Idaho State Police from 73-94. ISP transitioned to autos in 1991 when the organization went the 4586. Dad purchased a 4516-1 a year or so later just because. When he retired ISP gifted the pistol to him. Dad passed away in 2016 and I inherited both the pistols. A few days ago I picked up a 4513TSW (pre-rail) at a local auction (the photos of 4513 are from the auction company's site). I like the 3rd Gen pistols. I don't carry them and I only shoot them occasionally so I'm not worried about parts. Dad was a madman for magazines so I have plenty of those. My "real-world" gun is a GLOCK 19 (Gen 4) which accompanies on duty and off-duty and parts aren't an issue. So I am free to collect whatever grabs my fancy.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Quote Originally Posted by Lyonsgrid View Post
    Sights are a nightmare on these guns. They made several front and rear variations over the years. This one has the later Novak rear style which is the best IMO. The dovetails are not the same and it's hard to find info on the specs.

I have a 10-8 performance rear on the way (.140 black U notch) that is said to fit. I plan on pairing it with a high vis front Trijicon HD or Ameriglo. I'm prepared to do some fitting.
    Think me and a few others would definitely appreciate an update if you find a solution. Thanks

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    Goes to show how individual an experience can be.

I loved the 4506 and was quite fine with the DAO version; both guns were, in my hands nearly as soft shooting as my gen2 G21. On the other hand, the 645 felt like a 2x4 in my hands and shooting it was like using a heavy recoiling 2x4, it wasn't pleasant at all.
    That was my experience. I love my 4586 but ended up selling off my 645.

Quote Originally Posted by DpdG View Post
    The FBI 1076 grips, which have a palm swell, really make the 4506/4566 feel somewhat between a P220 and a P226. Closer to the P220 really, but much less like the piece of 1x3 strapping the normal straight grips feel like. About 6 years ago I was able to order them from S&W customer service, no idea if you still can.

For purely nostalgic reasons I wish I kept that melonited de-cock only 4566. Probably wouldn't shoot it, but it was my first duty weapon, and the melonited ones are apprently somewhat rare.
    Very cool stuff! I had never heard of the palm swell grips, nor the melonited 4566. Neato!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyonsgrid View Post
    Update on sights…

Contacted Trijicon direct and they agreed to tool up and make me a front night sight to fit this model. Appears they haven’t had a request for this specific model number sight in years, but they made it anyway. It took about 2 months to show up and fit was spot on.

10-8 performance has a U-notch rear for Novak style 1911’s that also fits some 3rd Gens. Fitting required is the key phrase here…it took a ton of filing but I’m happy with it now.

Overall, I like the new sights and wanted to show a couple more options out there for these pistols.

Attachment 6785

Attachment 6786

Attachment 6787
    thanks for posting that! I need to make a few phone calls and see if I can order a sight setup like that myself. That 10-8 rear by itself would make a huge improvement for my eyes.

User Tag List