Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: How I learned to Stop Worrying and Love the 3rd Gen S&W

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    And you'd be fine… until the little leaf spring on the trigger bar, or the trigger bar itself, broke…

It was the trigger bar on my 4044 duty gun that broke. Fortunately I dry fire a lot, so I was only carrying a non working pistol for one 8 hour shift.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    500 round minimum before running 100 rounds of Jhp seems to be the standard here
    My standards aren't quite that high, especially with a weapon that will be carried out my back door to the range in my backyard. At nearly a buck a pop firing 600 10mm rounds will take me some time and money. This gun is a long term investment, and a fun thing to shoot. My 5906 will be the practice gun as ergonomically they are about the same, and the ammo costs are much less.

I'm not an operator or LE professional where such high standards make perfect sense for a weapon that my life may depend on in daily carry.

Maybe I should start a U-Tube channel, maybe "Hiccup10" and get an ammo sponsorship, I'm sure my neighbors would love 100's of rounds a day being fired in my backyard.

Digiroc

Quote Originally Posted by Digiroc View Post
    My standards aren't quite that high, especially with a weapon that will be carried out my back door to the range in my backyard. At nearly a buck a pop firing 600 10mm rounds will take me some time and money. This gun is a long term investment, and a fun thing to shoot. My 5906 will be the practice gun as ergonomically they are about the same, and the ammo costs are much less.

I'm not an operator or LE professional where such high standards make perfect sense for a weapon that my life may depend on in daily carry.

Maybe I should start a U-Tube channel, maybe "Hiccup10" and get an ammo sponsorship, I'm sure my neighbors would love 100's of rounds a day being fired in my backyard.

Digiroc
    Didn't mean to offend but you made it seem like 50 rounds of fmj made s gun trustworthy. Never claimed u would gain operator status.

Gunsmithing the 3rd Gen S&W pistol

Here is a link to the first of four videos that go into the finer points of tuning and smoothing the Gen 3 Smith & Wesson pistols:

Perhaps doing all of the above would make this series of automatics run well without putting 1000 rounds through the weapon.

Digiroc

Here is a link to the first of four videos that go into the finer points of tuning and smoothing the Gen 3 Smith & Wesson pistols:

Perhaps doing all of the above would make this series of automatics run well without putting 1000 rounds through the weapon.

Digiroc
    its still not a test of the pistol.. especially something I would test.
    Last edited by breakingtime91; 04-14-2016 at 09:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    Didn't mean to offend but you made it seem like 50 rounds of fmj made s gun trustworthy. Never claimed u would gain operator status.
    None taken, my 5906 & 1006 are target and practice guns and as such I am less demanding than if used for daily carry and personal protection. My "trusting" it means that it won't blow up in my hand.

Digiroc

None taken, my 5906 & 1006 are target and practice guns and as such I am less demanding than if used for daily carry and personal protection. My "trusting" it means that it won't blow up in my hand.

Digiroc
    trackin

I've got a mainspring pack on order with Wolff to lighten up my 6904's DA. Would it be advisable to also install a slightly heavier recoil spring to keep the gun from beating itself up or will it be fine with the stock recoil spring?

It's way down the list of potential carry guns that I'm only going to care if it lights the primers in my mousefart 124 grain handloads and to a lesser extent factory ball from people who want to try it out. Thinking of starting with the 17 pound mainspring (lightest in the pack) for that reason.

I had a pair of 4006s I bought when they first came out. Had bobbed hammers installed and the triggers slicked up by an S&W armorer. I loved those pistols. I loved the DA pull. I loved the SA pull. I just don't like DA/SA. If I had converted them to DAO, I probably would have kept them. They were accurate and I liked the recoil of the 40 S&W.

Still and all, I have PPQ now and won't be going back. Except for the sake of nostalgia

I spotted a 1076 with five magazines on consignment for $1100 at my LGS today. Looked in pretty good shape and was compelled to pull it out of the case and dry fire it. Neat piece of history. Though not a 4506, listened to Jan Hammer on the way home.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

User Tag List