Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: How I learned to Stop Worrying and Love the 3rd Gen S&W

I've shot both the 6906 and 4506-1, and while I love how they're built I shoot them like ass.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Name:  FullSizeRender 9.jpg
Views: 891
Size:  50.2 KB

4006 decock only model in my least favorite caliber.........

Quote Originally Posted by crossrifles View Post
    Name:  FullSizeRender 9.jpg
Views: 891
Size:  50.2 KB

4006 decock only model in my least favorite caliber.........
    If I woke up tomorrow in a Stephen King horror movie where .40 was the only caliber in existence, I'd gladly walk the earth with a 4006.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    If I woke up tomorrow in a Stephen King horror movie where .40 was the only caliber in existence, I'd gladly walk the earth with a 4006.
    And you'd be fine… until the little leaf spring on the trigger bar, or the trigger bar itself, broke…

1006 I picked up at a gun show yesterday

I have a 5906 and have always lusted after a 1006 to be it's big brother. Yesterday I was at a gun show and found this:

Name:  IMG_1006.jpg
Views: 776
Size:  57.7 KB

It came with a parts kit that includes a new factory barrel, recoil spring, and firing pin. A bit pricy for a used gun, but appears to be in great condition, cosmetically unblemished and the barrel in it looks clean and new.

I haven't fired it yet but expect it will do well as it looks so clean. It came with Hogue grips perfectly fitted and feels quite nice in hand, if a bit bulky and heavy. The trigger is very smooth and pull, while not measured, seems light for a DA auto.

Digiroc

Site Supporter
    Nice 1006, Digiroc. Color me a little jealous.

Yes, nice looking 1006. Doesn't matter that much ho much you paid as the price will just keep going up.

Site Supporter
    When I went through the MN equivalent of a police academy (Skills) we were using SW 5906 3rd Gen. They had 10's of thousands of rounds through them and maintained by the armorer instructors.

The DA was butter smooth and had exceptional SA. They were also extremly accurate. They have since gone to the G17 but the 3rd Gen series were the gold standard of LE for the longest time. Their TSW line was exceptional.

I just shot the 1006 for the first time. I cleaned and oiled it thoroughly first the when out and fired a clip of FMJ the guy gave me with it:

Name:  1006 target.jpg
Views: 684
Size:  30.8 KB

Not the tightest group from 7 yards, but I'm pleased with a first firing with unknown ammo. I've got some cheap (relatively) Armscor 180 GR FMJ to try next, then finally some Hornady 180 gr XTP that I intend to carry in the weapon, after running the 50 rounds of FMJ through it to get used to it and develop some trust in the weapon.

Digiroc

Quote Originally Posted by Digiroc View Post
    I just shot the 1006 for the first time. I cleaned and oiled it thoroughly first the when out and fired a clip of FMJ the guy gave me with it:

Name:  1006 target.jpg
Views: 684
Size:  30.8 KB

Not the tightest group from 7 yards, but I'm pleased with a first firing with unknown ammo. I've got some cheap (relatively) Armscor 180 GR FMJ to try next, then finally some Hornady 180 gr XTP that I intend to carry in the weapon, after running the 50 rounds of FMJ through it to get used to it and develop some trust in the weapon.

Digiroc
    500 round minimum before running 100 rounds of Jhp seems to be the standard here

User Tag List