Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How I learned to Stop Worrying and Love the 3rd Gen S&W

I really like the 3rd Generation 9x19 S&W guns, but logistics make it a struggle to use them seriously. My daughter is a huge fan, carrying a 3913 and using a 3906 as a HD pistol. My wife has a 3914 she likes. But logistics continue to get harder. Even the Xenoy grips and magazines have become hard to find. Many of the parts are no longer available, and S&W has all but dropped factory servicing of the guns. I have learned that the best and least expensive way to get spare parts is to buy spare guns as the various firing control parts are really sets (example: do not use MIM sear with forged hammer as the sear nose geometry is not identical). Used samples can still be found for about $300-$400, which is much less expensive than buying just a slide and a barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    But logistics continue to get harder.
    Yup. That's why my 3953 is stashed away for hard times.

Site Supporter
    I never really cared for the 3rd gen smiths but that 10-8 setup is pretty damn cool

Sent from my VS876 using Tapatalk

That's a nice pistol the OP has. I'm on the lookout for a nice 6906 myself and hope to find one soon before the prices go up even more. Rather have a 3rd Gen S&W than any M&P plastic, mushy trigger excuse for a Glock.

If anyone gets into a real bind I still have a few 9mm extractors, and the gauge, stashed away.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

For a while there, WV State Police, Kalifornia Highway Patrol, and perhaps a few other agencies, were holding S&W's feet to the fire, saying they didn't want no steenkin' M&P and if the firm could not supply them with 3rd Gen pistols, they would go elsewhere. I was told S&W grudgingly agreed, but moved all the tooling to the Houlton, ME facility.

Wonder if that is still the case?

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    For a while there, WV State Police, Kalifornia Highway Patrol, and perhaps a few other agencies, were holding S&W's feet to the fire, saying they didn't want no steenkin' M&P and if the firm could not supply them with 3rd Gen pistols, they would go elsewhere. I was told S&W grudgingly agreed, but moved all the tooling to the Houlton, ME facility.

I know that CHP just bought new 4006s awhile back.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post

NYPD was one of the holdouts with the 5946 as one of three authorized duty guns but last year they replaced it with the. G17 Gen4.

CHP has recently acquired M&P Compacts in 40 for their Plainclothes personnel to replace their issued 4013's. They are looking pretty hard at the M&P 40 FS as well.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post

CHP has recently acquired M&P Compacts in 40 for their Plainclothes personnel to replace their issued 4013's. They are looking pretty hard at the M&P 40 FS as well.
    Guess they finally caved… or S&W said "we ain't doing it no more".

I seem to recall reading where WVSP went with another brand recently; but cannot remember where I read that.

Site Supporter
    Came across a beautiful 5906 today. No holster wear, but the barrel wear suggests it's been shot a bit. I swear I don't need it, but there's a part of me that wants it anyway. A lot.

User Tag List