Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: How I learned to Stop Worrying and Love the 3rd Gen S&W

Quote Originally Posted by Tony1911 View Post
    Was this a square or round trigger guard 4506? I ask because Ms.1911 has one of those, and holsters are kind of difficult to find. If P226 holsters fit, well that'll make it easy.

(I've shot the piece a few times and I think it's awesome. Good trigger, very accurate, ridiculously low recoil... The grip is pretty large though. And I suppose it would be heavy as a carry gun. But as a shooter, daymn... Great gun!)

Sent from my Infernal Contraption using Tapatalk
    Square. Beretta 92 leather holsters also fit, so Miami Vice cosplayers are in luck.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Alas, at least Bianchi Accumold holster for the 92 did not fit. Almost, but the trigger guard is a tad smaller on the 92. (This experiment was brought to you by the UK who sold a bunch of not much used holsters as surplus. As the surplus store I saw the holster in didn't really know what the holster was for, I got one for not very much. Was worth the try...)

Anyways, thank you folks for the leather holster tips. I shall keep an eye on those. (I did buy her a custom made holster, but it's always good to have spares.)

Sent from my Infernal Contraption using Tapatalk
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

What me Worry?

The hunt for Smith 3rd gen accessories is part of the joy of owning these classics. I have more holsters than guns. They are out there and available for the diligent searcher. EBay often has some and the Smith & Wesson forum is also a good resource. I just bought two DiSantis leather holsters, one for the medium frame semis and one for a J frame from a S&W forum member.

While you are unlikely to find one at your local gun shop, a bit of sleuthing will get you what you need.

Digiroc

For you Smith 39xx fans, there's a 3913TSW for sale over on the S&W forum that looks nice.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/guns-sa...w-tsw-9mm.html
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    For a while there, WV State Police, Kalifornia Highway Patrol, and perhaps a few other agencies, were holding S&W's feet to the fire, saying they didn't want no steenkin' M&P and if the firm could not supply them with 3rd Gen pistols, they would go elsewhere. I was told S&W grudgingly agreed, but moved all the tooling to the Houlton, ME facility.

Wonder if that is still the case?

Isn’t the RCMP still using the 5946?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by deputyG23 View Post
    Isn’t the RCMP still using the 5946?

I tried researching this but couldn't find any solid data.

RCMP is a large force, but my understanding is S&W no longer makes 3rd gens period.

Site Supporter
    I was in Vancouver in 2018 and I'm 95% sure I saw 3rd gens in cop holsters at the airport--stainless, black grips, silhouette looked about right for a 59XX. I don't think airport cops are part of the RCMP... but... seems like the guns are still in service there. Also pretty sure I saw a 3rd gen in an NYPD holster when I was in NYC this spring.

Site Supporter
    Still kicking myself for not picking up that 1076 in 1994 for $500...

Aims still has 6906s for $349. Dunno how much longer I can resist.

pat

S&W model 59

Back in '77-'78 I bought the above captioned pistol. It was my first pistol, blue finish. I had to send it back in for service due to the pistol's inability to be 100% reliable with JHP. I was using the Remington hollow point at the time. Not too many options back then. Seems like it was a known issue at the time. Got the pistol back and it was 100% thereafter. The 5906 I have now keeps me contented with that generation pistol. If you ever look at the frame from a machining aspect, the frame is a wonder of engineering and execution.

User Tag List