Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: How I learned to Stop Worrying and Love the 3rd Gen S&W

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Checkman View Post
    Joining late.My father was Idaho State Police from 73-94. ISP transitioned to autos in 1991 when the organization went the 4586. Dad purchased a 4516-1 a year or so later just because. When he retired ISP gifted the pistol to him. Dad passed away in 2016 and I inherited both the pistols. A few days ago I picked up a 4513TSW (pre-rail) at a local auction (the photos of 4513 are from the auction company's site). I like the 3rd Gen pistols. I don't carry them and I only shoot them occasionally so I'm not worried about parts. Dad was a madman for magazines so I have plenty of those. My "real-world" gun is a GLOCK 19 (Gen 4) which accompanies on duty and off-duty and parts aren't an issue. So I am free to collect whatever grabs my fancy.
    @Lost River

His posts about the 3rd gen smiths are awesome as well.

Thank you Checkman for posting this.

Ahh, third gen Smiths. I had one 6906, a pile of 4516s and two Shorty .45s. Every one of 'em would feed everything up to and including an empty case from the mag.

The 4516 were a bit heavy but wearing one out took work. But accurate? Oh hell no. Then I finally found a Shorty .45 I could afford and was in love. Shot the smallest offhand group with a pistol I ever did with the first one. Twenty yards, all eight rounds made a group that would completely hide behind a quarter. Much lighter than the '16s, it was a match made in heaven.

Then the support went to hell. *sigh*.

I do Glocks now, but if I had it to do over I should have just doubled down and stocked up on all the parts I needed, mags etc.

Such is life.

Cat

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I believe this is the holster for the 6906 family of 3rd gens, if anyone is still looking. Will likely work with 3906 family as well. No affiliation with the seller.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Safariland-...-/363303850312
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Another one. LH this time.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/403544826909
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I love 3rd Gen S&W's! I have 4 currently, 6906, 5906(2) and a 4506. All are PD trade ins in excellent(One of the 5906's is near mint) or better condition. I wish parts were easier to find. If some aftermarket company would make just a few parts for them, or S&W would, I would buy some just for peace of mind. It's kind of crazy to me that you can find a ton of parts for a Dan Wesson 15-2 online, but S&W 3rd gen parts are few and far between. I don't have any interest in S&W's current lineup of handguns, period.

Site Supporter

LE Turn-in 915s $349

Here. They had a bunch of other third-generation versions, these are what's left.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

User Tag List