Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sig 229R/RMR update

Sig 229R/RMR update

I posted some pics in the RDS on semi-auto thread, but figured I'd go into more details in a new thread. This is my duty/off duty/USPSA production optics gun:

Attachment 4488
    Attachment 4489
    Attachment 4490
    Attachment 4491

I had Mark H do the work. I started out with suppressor sights for a 226. 229 suppressor sights are hard to find. When I shot the irons after getting it back from Mark I realized that the irons were WAY off. Like 14" high at 25 yards. So then I tried to find the appropriate size rear sight to change to POI. Nobody makes a sight of the height I needed (.280). So I knew it would have to be custom made. So I made a call to Dawson Precision. They said they could make one of their Charger rear sights in a custom height for an extra 10 or 15 bucks. Great. The only problem is the Charger rear sights are too long, front to back, to fit behind the RMR. No problem, I have a hacksaw. So I went ahead and ordered the rear sight and was quoted 4-5 weeks. I had it in a little over 2. A little bit of cutting/cold blue/fitting and now we have this rear sight:

Attachment 4492
    Attachment 4493

Another thing I found when I really started shooting this set up was that the Sig factory recoil spring was detrimental to tracking the dot. So I replaced it with a 13lb wolf recoil spring. Tracks much, much better now. I've tried both the standard E2 grips and the Hogue checkered aluminum and I preferred the aluminum. Gonna switch back to them tomorrow.

A big PITA has been finding good holsters. I've settled on a couple. I've used the Safariland Pro-GLS and it works with no modification whatsoever. I special ordered a Blade-Tech duty rig that I like. And I'm going to modify a Hogue holster to fit here soon. I've used it with the standard iron sight slide and liked it as well. I modified my JMCK AIWB holster to fit as well.

Attachment 4494
    Attachment 4495
    Attachment 4496
    Last edited by Lon; 11-19-2015 at 08:57 PM.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Great info. I'm very (pleasantly) surprised that that hood on your duty holster clears the sight. Does it affect the draw?

Also, can you tell me more about the pouch with the red cross on it?
    Last edited by john c; 11-19-2015 at 09:28 PM.

Does that hood ever catch on the RMR? I want a hooded holster for mine so bad but haven't really found anything that would work right.

Edit: guess I should have read the other comment lol
    Last edited by Luke; 11-19-2015 at 09:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by john c View Post
    Great info. I'm very (pleasantly) surprised that that hood on your duty holster clears the sight. Does it affect the draw?

Also, can you tell me more about the pouch with the red cross on it?
    The hood clears the sight no problem.

Attachment 4497

The pouch is a tourniquet pouch from 1110 Gear.

www.1110gear.com

He makes them for several tourniquets. I've used it for going on 3 years now. Like it a lot. Several of our guys have them. It has a Tek-Lok on the back.

Edit: TQ pouch thread with more pics:https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....720#post373720
    Last edited by Lon; 11-19-2015 at 09:54 PM.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.

Quote Originally Posted by Wannabe View Post
    Does that hood ever catch on the RMR? I want a hooded holster for mine so bad but haven't really found anything that would work right.
    I had that problem with my 226/RMR combo when I used a Safariland 6280. I ended up taking two hoods and splicing them together to make a longer hood that would clear the RMR. Didn't like that very well but didn't think I had any other options at the time. The BT holster is nice. I still prefer an ALS, but Safariland will probably never make their optic ready ALS for the sig. I already asked them about it.
    Formerly known as xpd54.

Do you know of a hood that you press a lever down or back that would work? I used one like yours (I think) where you had to push it out, towards your body to drop the hood, I wasn't a fan of that. Is yours like that?

Yes, mine has to be pressed towards your body. The only one I know of that works like an SLS is made by T-Rex Kydex holsters. There again, he doesn't usually make them for a Sig. To get one would take a group buy of at least 10 to get him to make them. Here's my old 6285:

Attachment 4504
    Attachment 4506
    Formerly known as xpd54.

Sweet. Do you know how long from screw hole to screw hole your current hood is?

Also, does your dot look that perfect using your eyes as it does in the picture? Mine looks nothing like that. (Rmr06)

Quote Originally Posted by Wannabe View Post
    Sweet. Do you know how long from screw hole to screw hole your current hood is?

Also, does your dot look that perfect using your eyes as it does in the picture? Mine looks nothing like that. (Rmr06)
    I don't know the length from hole to hole. You want to try it? I'll send it to ya. I have no use for it. Here's more pics.

Attachment 4514
    Attachment 4515

Here's a better picture of the dot. I got the 3.5moa version.
    Attachment 4516

I started a TQ holder thread in the holsters and gear sub forum.
    Formerly known as xpd54.

User Tag List