The following is my AAR from a recent Trauma and Emergency Medical Intervention course held by the Academy of Tactical Training and Security, LLC

1) Provider: Academy of Tactical Training and Security, LLC
2) Owner: Pete Kolovos
3) Phone / Web: See e-mail below / http://www.guntrainingil.com/
4) E-mail: director@guntrainingil.com
5) When: November 8, 2015
6) Where: Owner’s home classroom
7) Accommodations: N/A
8) Gear used: Student provided Israeli Battle Dressing, N.A.R. C-A-T Tourniquet and a variety of instructor provided props and supplies.
9) Cost: $100.
10) Did weather adversely affect training: No.
11) Instructors’ Competence: Very good instructor who knew the material well and was able to transfer the knowledge to the students.
12) Instructors’ Ethics: Excellent
13) Safely Conducted: Yes
14) Condition of Equipment: Excellent
15) Food: N/A
16) Number of overall firearms’ related training classes for myself: Student – 10, Range Assistant/FoF Role Player – 4, host – 1 (count overlaps where applicable), Non-lethal – 1.
17) Certificate issued: Yes
18) Training time: 5+ hours
19) Written training plan: Yes Followed: Yes
20) Instructor to student ratio: 1/3
21) Round count: N/A
22) Recommended: Yes
23) General comments: As I and a fellow shooter recently looked to grow our 2-gun practice efforts our gun club board recommended some trauma training. While I’m not particularly into being saved from trauma I figure my shooting partners’ significant others, especially those with kids, might wish we’d had some training and provided some care if the situation arose. Locally, I had the choice between a gunshot specific/Tactical Combat Casualty Care type class or this class which is a more general class targeted towards firearms instructors and outdoorsmen. ATTS’ Trauma and Emergency Medical Intervention covered many of the things we’d encounter on the range and in the outdoors; heart attack, stroke, diabetes, snake bite, anaphylactic shock, and, of course, gunshot wounds, among others. While I’d eventually like to get some TCCC type training this course was more relevant, I felt.

Pete is an EMT-B in the state of IL. He started with the legal/liability can/cannot do including the various types of consent a person may or may not give when under duress. Pete knew the material well and his teaching demeanor was conducive to learning. The material was professionally delivered and there was a LOT of content. Throughout the class we did practical exercises such as assisting someone suffering from anaphylactic shock utilize their EpiPen, application of an Israeli battle dressing to an extremity and head, and application of a C.A.T. to ourselves and a buddy. At the end of class we performed a culminating type exercise to treat an eye penetration on a dummy, a through-n-through chest wound, an evisceration and a severed leg on a dummy.

We went for 6 hours straight with no scheduled breaks and no lunch break which was all fine with me as I don’t eat lunch, anyway, it was Monday eve and I was in the God awful Chicago suburbs an hour from my home. Pete’s basement classroom is cozy and shares space with his pistol and hunting trophies, but it is professionally appointed and provides a good learning environment.

I liked this class a lot. I believe I’m more prepared, now, to provide some minimum level of care in case of a medical emergency than I was before taking it. Training with Pete was a positive experience. He communicates very well which is critically important to me.