Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: French LE weapon choices

Site Supporter
    As of earlier this year, GIPN units within mainland France were made part of RAID (which they had been closely associated with already). The BRI is not a full time tactical unit, as it has additional responsibilities relating to the fight against organized crime.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Goodtimes View Post
    Edit: I'd like to know what their logic is behind carrying two handguns.
    When this came up back in January, ToddG shared below...

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    It has certain benefits in specific types of assaults. Because certain cool people were doing it under certain circumstances, it quickly became misunderstood and suddenly everyone and his brother was doing it.

It went away (thankfully) but I fully expect photos like that will bring it back for a while. Hooray.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    I have no idea what they're intended/expected/possible mission profile(s) might be so it's plausible those particular guys are ready to go in the event they are forced to be in one of those specific environments for which it was developed. Or it could just monkey see, monkey do. Without more info I certainly wouldn't criticize.
    Last edited by JSGlock34; 11-21-2015 at 04:24 PM.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

I'm intrigued by the revolvers.

It's certainly possible it is a budget thing and they haven't got around to replacing them, but is it possible the revolver gives them something they need from the gun, such as a specific round or some handling characteristic?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post

It's certainly possible it is a budget thing and they haven't got around to replacing them, but is it possible the revolver gives them something they need from the gun, such as a specific round or some handling characteristic?
    I'm told the MR73 is no mere revolver...it's built to withstand daily practice with full power magnum ammo...I'm guessing they just aren't breaking. Think Ruger durability and Colt Python style

Add that to the benefits of using a revolver behind a shield and the concussive blast of a .357 in close quarters and you've got a 6 shot handheld flash bang that you can use to sling 125 grain hollowpoints from behind a bulletproof shield. And also style points...

Yeah, Joie de vivre.

Two handguns may also be seen on those running shields or dogs.
    Last edited by ST911; 11-21-2015 at 08:35 PM.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

From my recollection they've been successfully using MR73's for decades. If it ain't broke.....
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

When the revolvers were originally issued? Yes, reliable expanding bullets. For years and years the GIGN/GIPN used a 158-grain semi-jacketed hollowpoint loaded by Norma to about 1350 fps. The MR73 was designed to handle 100,000+ rounds of that ammunition before needing an overhaul. By all accounts they are also exceptionally accurate. GIGN has maintained the revolvers for a variety of reasons, but I think most of it is a holdover from an older time. The French used .357 revolvers from the mid-1960s until around 2000. When they switched to the PAMAS G1 (A French licensed and built Beretta 92) and then the SP2022s they use now.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 11-21-2015 at 09:00 PM.

Site Supporter

I highly doubt it's a budget thing. There are articulable reasons for the revolver, shield use, contact shots, concussion in close quarters and accuracy but the real reason is :

pa·nache
    pəˈnaSH,pəˈnäSH/
    noun
    flamboyant confidence of style or manner.
    "he entertained Palm Springs society with great panache"
    synonyms: flamboyance, confidence, self-assurance, style, flair, elan, dash, verve, zest, spirit, brio, éclat, vivacity, gusto, liveliness, vitality, energy;

Site Supporter
    If you are authorized to carry an MR73 and an additional pistol...hell I'd consider it nearly criminal not to. Sig Pro for lots of bullets...MR73 for uh....well...uh....reasons.

Yeah, reasons!

User Tag List