Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: French LE weapon choices

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    re: Police, when I was living in Paris the Gendarmerie all had SigPros and the Army patrols all had FAMASes. Never saw quite the amount of hardware we are seeing in the news now but what RevolverRob said above seems pretty accurate to me.
    Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post
    The guy in front is going to need some serious ear pro if the guy behind him pops a cap like that.

Okie John

Why do European tactical teams often utilize helmet face shields/visors, but I rarely see them in the USA outside of the riot control context?
    Last edited by Default.mp3; 11-19-2015 at 02:14 PM.

Site Supporter
    The GIGN does pride itself in good revolver shooting, and gendarmes in full gear will often carry several handguns, including a revolver. They also use Glocks in 9mm and the Sig 226.

The Gendarmerie Nationale (which GIGN is part of and which functions somewhat like a state police agency in the U.S. covering highways and rural areas) issues the SP2022 as the standard handgun.

So does the Police Nationale, which covers urban areas and which comprises the RAID (recherche, assistance, intervention, dissuasion) tactical team.

It was the RAID, not the GIGN, that took a lead role in recent events.
    Last edited by Le Français; 11-19-2015 at 02:19 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Français View Post
    The GIGN does pride itself in good revolver shooting, and gendarmes in full gear will often carry several handguns, including a revolver. They also use Glocks in 9mm and the Sig 226.

The Gendarmerie Nationale (which GIGN is part of and which functions somewhat like a state police agency in the U.S. covering highways and rural areas) issues the SP2022 as the standard handgun.

So does the Police Nationale, which covers urban areas and which comprises the RAID (recherche, assistance, intervention, dissuasion) tactical team.

It was the RAID, not the GIGN, that took a lead role in recent events.
    This^^^^. RAID. and I believe BRI, are part of the Police Nationale. The Gendarmarie Nationale it's considered part of the Armed Forces though they mostly perform law-enforcement functions. Sort of like the US Coast Guard. In addition to being responsible for policing in rural areas and Highway patrol duties they are also responsible for border security

When we discussed French LE weapons back in January, I remember thinking this particular unit (GIPN?) was very well equipped. The fact that officers appeared to each carry a pair of Glock pistols was intriguing at the time.

Name:  628x471.jpg
Views: 665
Size:  47.3 KB

Last edited by JSGlock34; 11-19-2015 at 11:13 PM.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

It is kind of hard to see, but is that a Ghost Holster with a ALG 6 second mount on that vest mounted Glock?

Also those guys in the blue uniforms all seem to be carrying different guns.
    "The rocket worked perfectly, except for landing on the wrong planet." - Wernher Von Braun

http://www.teampegleg.com

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    Why do European tactical teams often utilize helmet face shields/visors, but I rarely see them in the USA outside of the riot control context?
    Those are ballistic face shields. IIIa rated more than likely. Heavy and expensive. I rarely see them in the US police world. Not sure why.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    Those are ballistic face shields. IIIa rated more than likely. Heavy and expensive. I rarely see them in the US police world. Not sure why.
    Those things look like they add at least another couple of pounds to the 3-4lbs helmet.
    "The rocket worked perfectly, except for landing on the wrong planet." - Wernher Von Braun

http://www.teampegleg.com

Right is important to distinguish the different groups shown in these images (and those from January).

RAID - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resear...on,_Deterrence
    GIGN - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nation...rvention_Group
    GIPN - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nation...vention_Groups
    National Gendarmerie - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Gendarmerie
    National Police - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nation...e_%28France%29

There are two (up to three) hierarchical structures at play here:

National Police (Police Nationale) - Which contains RAID - Research, Assistance, Intervention, Deterrence a national counter-terrorism group (FBI HRT) and contains GIPN which are regional Police Intervention Groups (think FBI Regional SWAT Teams).

The GIGN is part of the National Gendarmerie. As pointed out by Le Francias earlier and in the Paris-attack thread, the Gendarmerie is a military unit, it is officially part of the French Armed Forces. The original purpose of the National Gendarmerie was primarily rural police services (think Sheriff's department). However, they have expanded to include Maritime (Coast Guard), Airport (something like our TSA, but actually better at their jobs), they also provide Military Police duties, police duties on airbases, and police and protection duties for the French equivalent of DARPA. In addition they have two more (even more) specialized units the GIGN and an armored unit. Officially, GIGN is part of the Armed Forces and has been deployed with French Army on the ground in Afghanistan and other deployments. And is, no doubt as we speak, on the ground in Syria, going to whack some ISIS badguys.

GIPN and RAID are National units and only deployed within France or French Protectorates. GIGN is a military unit deployed globally. Apparently, they have considerable cross-over in training and often in mission goals as well. Which makes sense in many cases. The FBI HRT often trains with USSOCOM units for instance here.

Regarding firearms: Standard issue handguns for National Police and National Gendarmerie is the Sig Pro 2022 in 9mm. The Gendarmerie also have access to military long guns (FAMAS, HK416s, HK G3s, HK MP5s, etc.). The National Police are more limited in long-guns to pump shotguns and Mini-14s. GIPN, RAID, and GIGN all have essentially free weapons selection. Most individuals have gone with the Sig P226 or Glock in various flavors, but you will find that individuals from each group carry the MR73 from time to time. The MR73 was the previous standard issue handgun for the Gendarmerie and was optional in RAID and GIPN.

Anyways - This is all enough detail, to make an obsessive compulsive like me get a bad itch. I don't think I could be the quartermaster/armorer for these units. Especially the more specialized ones. Trying to maintain about 15 different weapons systems of various makes, models, and ages, would drive me f'ing insane. Personally, if I were running a GIGN unit, for instance. It would be Glock or MR73, HK416s for everyone, except the shotgun guy (Benelli M4), and the sniper teams would get whatever it is they are running these days (mostly AIs in .300 Win Mag). None of this - six guys with AR-variants, three guys with HK variants, and some dude with a Mossberg 500 pump...And I swear any dude that showed up with a Mini-14 would be kicked off the team.

-Rob
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 11-20-2015 at 12:17 AM.

User Tag List