Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does quality of ss109/m855 vary significantly between manufacturers?

Does quality of ss109/m855 vary significantly between manufacturers?

I'm wondering if ss109/m855 quality control tends to vary significantly between different countries and manufacturers like ZQI, IMI, PVI Partisian, ect?

I'm also interested in opinions on which round would be better for a relative AR novice to begin learning intermediate range shooting on a 16" AR, equipped with a low power variable scope. Thinking up to 400 or 500 yards. I'm looking to learn fundamentals and to make wind calls at cheap 5.56 prices, not necessarily because I think it's the most practical setup for anything.

Looking for a sealed round, as this case will likely see frequent, wild temp swings during storage and use during this winter in Northern Wisconsin. I am also looking to use the brass to, hopefully, begin reloading sometime next year.

My experience with 62gr M855 is that none of it shoots well, even at ranges of just 100 yards. My experience with 55gr ammo from just about every source is that it generally shoots well to at least 200 yards.

I've shot a lot of IMI .223, and all of it shot very well. I've shot a lot of Prvi in other calibers, and everything always shot well. I have bought some ZQI, but have not shot any yet.
    Last edited by NuJudge; 11-18-2015 at 07:01 PM.

As far as M855 goes......

IMHO, you would be hard pressed to find a better value then the Wideners IMI M855 offered currently.

With that said.... you really should buy a variety of M855 clones and see which shoots best from your rifle.

I know you said quality in your OP... but like NuJudge said M855 is not known for being accurate, most all is well made, but .... the best you can hope for is decent accuracy from one of the various XM855 clones.

I would suggest you buy some PMC XTAC, some IMI, Prvi, Fed AE XM855, AMA, .... if you are heck bent on the M855.

There are far better choices for accurate shooting and honing your shooting skills.... even better choices in the same price range.

400-500 yds.... with a .223 5.56 and a 16" barrel is really going to need expensive 77gr -69gr ammo.

If you are looking to learn fundamentals... you need inexpensive accurate ammo..... that way you can focus on your shooting skills, rather than hoping your 2-3 MOA is going to hit your targets bullseye.

Try this...http://palmettostatearmory.com/catal.../view/id/4550/... I do not think it is suitable for SD.. but it is fantastically accurate.
    As a matter of fact, I have never seen it not shoot about 1 MOA out of any rifle.

IMHO, it is money well spent learning to shoot with accurate ammo. Your training and learning time will be far more effective with accurate ammo.

Buy and learn to shoot with the Fed. Tipped Varmint....

As for the ammo being sealed... keep it out of the rain, and dang near all ammo will last for decades.
    Last edited by bfoosh006; 11-22-2015 at 01:09 AM.

Old thread . . . but does the 50 gr Amer Eagle Tipped Varmint run decently outta a 1 in 7" twist barrel ?
    (Colt 6920) Thanks

Yes, PPU M855 shot <2 MOA 10-shot groups at 200 yards for me, while Q3269 was >3 MOA.

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    Yes, PPU M855 shot <2 MOA 10-shot groups at 200 yards for me, while Q3269 was >3 MOA.
    Thanks for the info. I appreciate it

Quote Originally Posted by SamAdams View Post
    Old thread . . . but does the 50 gr Amer Eagle Tipped Varmint run decently outta a 1 in 7" twist barrel ?
    (Colt 6920) Thanks
    Very much so. Just over 1 MOA for 10 shots at 100yds.... from numerous "Lot #'s "

Frankly, I use it as a standard, to make sure my rifles are running good prior to testing other ammo.

I've always had the impression that foreign SS109 loads were more accurate than the US M855 version. I finally decided to test this out to see if it held true (for my rifle).

The first test will be with ADI F1, GGG (Lithuanian) and IMI M855 (2009)

I will be using Molon's format (for the most part) with 10 round groups and no called fliers

The Gun

Steyr AUG-A1
    20" barrel; 1:9 twist
    1.5x optic
    front sandbag rest

Control Load

ADI 69gr SMK

ADI F1

The Groups:
    2.124" ES/0.776" mean radius
    2.714" ES/0.764" mean radius
    2.843" ES/0.679" mean radius
    --------
    Avg Group ES: 2.560"
    Avg Mean Radius: 0.740"

Best group (MR):

GGG (Lithuania)

The Groups:
    2.607" ES/0.703" Mean Radius (I absolutely flubbed 2 shots that would have halved the group)
    1.881" ES/0.758" Mean Radius
    2.277" ES/0.646" Mean Radius
    -----------
    Avg Group ES: 2.255"
    Avg Mean Radius: 0.702"

Best Group (MR):

IMI M855 (2009)

The Groups:
    3.782" ES/1.102" Mean Radius
    4.080" ES/1.089" Mean Radius
    3.496" ES/1.038" Mean Radius
    ---------------
    Avg Group ES: 3.786"
    Avg Mean Radius: 1.076"

Best Group (MR)

The take home for me is that Israel hates Austria

Hertenberger SS109

The Groups:
    2.098" ES/0.751" Mean Radius
    2.471" ES/0.741" Mean Radius
    --------
    Avg Group ES: 2.2845"
    Avg Mean Radius: 0.746"

Best Group (MR):

Attached Images Attached Images  

Look at Luke Haag's paper in the AFTE journal which shows significant variations in construction between various SS109/M855 loads from different vendors.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Look at Luke Haag's paper in the AFTE journal which shows significant variations in construction between various SS109/M855 loads from different vendors.
    Sounds like exactly what I was looking for. I believe this is the article: AFTE Journal 2001 Volume 33, Number 1 (Winter), Page 20 thru 28.

Unfortunately a copy of the material costs $50. It must be copyrighted, as a google search only gives me references.

Thanks for the info though.

User Tag List