Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Beretta M9-22

I just noticed that Beretta has introduced a redesigned .22 conversion kit for the 92 series (to include 15 round magazines and a threaded barrel). Curious to hear more about the new kits and how they improve on the older design.

Last edited by JSGlock34; 04-24-2017 at 05:31 PM.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Sorry if this might have been covered earlier in the thread, but do the M9/M9A1 .22s use the same hammer springs/struts and hammer as the full size Berettas? Or is it a different design. I'd like to get one but only if I can swap in lighter hammer springs.
    Shoot more, post less...

Site Supporter
    Hey Everyone,

My name is Erik Stern and I am the Associate Pro Shop Product Manager at BUSA. The new conversion kit has been mostly my baby for the last year and I am glad that it is finally coming to market.

As far as improvements go, the kit features the following over the older Italian kits:
    Front and rear Dovetails with Vertec sight cuts
    A threaded barrel available as an accessory
    Ability to function with D hammer springs (WITH QUALITY AMMUNITION) as long as you are using a standard hammer to have enough mass.
    15 round magazines versus 10 rounds with the old kit (10 rd mags are available for ban states).
    Mags can be loaded without the use of an external loader (unlike the Italian kit)
    90% parts compatibility with the M9_22, meaning that this simplifies our parts and service inventory and makes it easier to support you guys if something is needed.
    Validated compatibility with the 92A1/96A1/90-Two pistols. The old BITA Kit usually worked with them, but this kit has been developed from the ground up and validated for compatibility with those pistols.

Let me know if you guys have any questions about them!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MSparks909 View Post
    Sorry if this might have been covered earlier in the thread, but do the M9/M9A1 .22s use the same hammer springs/struts and hammer as the full size Berettas? Or is it a different design. I'd like to get one but only if I can swap in lighter hammer springs.

You can use a D spring in those, but be aware that you will have more light strikes and you must use quality ammunition for the most reliability.

Quote Originally Posted by e_stern View Post
    Hey Everyone,

My name is Erik Stern and I am the Associate Pro Shop Product Manager at BUSA. The new conversion kit has been mostly my baby for the last year and I am glad that it is finally coming to market.

As far as improvements go, the kit features the following over the older Italian kits:
    Front and rear Dovetails with Vertec sight cuts
    A threaded barrel available as an accessory
    Ability to function with D hammer springs (WITH QUALITY AMMUNITION) as long as you are using a standard hammer to have enough mass.
    15 round magazines versus 10 rounds with the old kit (10 rd mags are available for ban states).
    Mags can be loaded without the use of an external loader (unlike the Italian kit)
    90% parts compatibility with the M9_22, meaning that this simplifies our parts and service inventory and makes it easier to support you guys if something is needed.
    Validated compatibility with the 92A1/96A1/90-Two pistols. The old BITA Kit usually worked with them, but this kit has been developed from the ground up and validated for compatibility with those pistols.

Let me know if you guys have any questions about them!
    Looks like a nice package with the dove tailed sights and threaded barrel option.

Couple of quick questions:

Is this something Beretta Italy is making or has this been subbed out like the M9-22?

Guessing slide is aluminum for the low power 22LR? If so, does any special care need to be taken installing sights?

Finally, any thoughts about offering the kit with the threaded barrel only? I would think for many people like myself, this would be used as a suppressor host so no real need for the standard barrel, just threaded. By the time you add up the cost of the kit as offered and the extra threaded barrel you are in the price range of the Ruger Mark IV and Buckmarks.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by CoGT3 View Post
    Looks like a nice package with the dove tailed sights and threaded barrel option.

I think it's a solid upgrade over the old one.

Couple of quick questions:

Is this something Beretta Italy is making or has this been subbed out like the M9-22?

Umarex is working with us on this one.

Guessing slide is aluminum for the low power 22LR? If so, does any special care need to be taken installing sights?

Yes it is. Yes, be careful not to overdo it as it is possible to push through the dovetail. That being said, if you do it's a simple matter to shim and stake them in place, but would not be aesthetically pleasing.

Finally, any thoughts about offering the kit with the threaded barrel only? I would think for many people like myself, this would be used as a suppressor host so no real need for the standard barrel, just threaded. By the time you add up the cost of the kit as offered and the extra threaded barrel you are in the price range of the Ruger Mark IV and Buckmarks.

It had been discussed, but as this kit was primarily intended to be offered to states where the M9_22 pistol cannot be sold, that was ruled out for initial launch as most of those states also do not allow for the use of silencers. That being said, based upon demand and feedback, I'm not opposed to it. Naturally the price would be increased if we were to do that, so bear that in mind. Also, this kit is primarily intense for cheap/easy training with a duty style pistol, not to supplement a dedicated rimfire bullseye gun.
    My replies in bold.
    Last edited by e_stern; 04-27-2017 at 08:08 AM.

I was lead here from the Beretta forum as we have had quite a lengthy conversation about this kit over there. Many of your comments have been added over there to help answer a few questions. However I still have one more question.

1. Is the finish on this gun a better match then the old Beretta Italy kit. The old one had a dull grey finish that was noticeable next to the brunton finish.

Also just as an add in here I would definitely be one of the people interested in a threaded only kit. Id pay a bit more but would be interested in the savings of not having to pay for two barrels when I only need the one.

Also judging by your statement earlier you mention this kit will work with D springs but only with the full weighted hammer. I find this odd as over on the Beretta forum with the old kit it seems the Elite II skeleton hammer would reliably fire ammo at lower spring weights. The thought process was that the lighter hammer could create more velocity through lighter mass and faster speeds. Did Beretta or Umarex find out differently during testing or was the Elite II hammer never really considered for this kit as its not on most 92 and 96's...

I appreciate your input as I just shelled out about 400 bucks for an old style kit less then one month ago and now I am about to do the same again.

Bueller, Bueller, Bueller....

Also another good thought is does this have a last round lock back, I am sure it does but confirmation is good to have.

Also will it function with standard velocity ammo or does it ned high velocity ammo specifically.
    Last edited by rbpwrd240; 05-01-2017 at 12:16 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rbpwrd240 View Post
    I was lead here from the Beretta forum as we have had quite a lengthy conversation about this kit over there. Many of your comments have been added over there to help answer a few questions. However I still have one more question.

1. Is the finish on this gun a better match then the old Beretta Italy kit. The old one had a dull grey finish that was noticeable next to the brunton Bruniton finish.

Yes, it is a far closer match.

Also just as an add in here I would definitely be one of the people interested in a threaded only kit. Id pay a bit more but would be interested in the savings of not having to pay for two barrels when I only need the one.

I am taking all feedback into consideration, but for now and the immediate future a threaded kit is not something we are offering. Further out, depending on reception of the standard kit? I will keep it in mind.

Also judging by your statement earlier you mention this kit will work with D springs but only with the full weighted hammer. I find this odd as over on the Beretta forum with the old kit it seems the Elite II skeleton hammer would reliably fire ammo at lower spring weights. The thought process was that the lighter hammer could create more velocity through lighter mass and faster speeds. Did Beretta or Umarex find out differently during testing or was the Elite II hammer never really considered for this kit as its not on most 92 and 96's...

Mass is required for reliable ignition. EII hammers, even with the speed advantage from a full size spring, do not have nearly the force on the cartridge that the full weight hammer does due to the necessity of pushing both the firing pin and firing pin striker. So long story short, if you want a D spring and more reliable ignition, use the standard hammer. Note that this is relative as it is still a rimfire cartridge and ammunition quality varies widely.

I appreciate your input as I just shelled out about 400 bucks for an old style kit less then one month ago and now I am about to do the same again.

I think it is well worth it and that you will like it.

My replies in bold.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rbpwrd240 View Post
    Bueller, Bueller, Bueller....

I have been at the NRA show and unable to take the time to log in, apologies.

Also another good thought is does this have a last round lock back, I am sure it does but confirmation is good to have.

Yes, it does.

Also will it function with standard velocity ammo or does it ned high velocity ammo specifically.

In my testing it functions with both. I've found that the best ammunition thus far for reliability is either Eley (not surprising) or CCI Standard, but nearly everything functioned very well. It's as reliable as an M9_22, which is already known to be pretty top notch
    Replies in bold.

User Tag List