Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock Extended Magazine Release-And Why I Switched Mine Back To The OEM One

Glock Extended Magazine Release-And Why I Switched Mine Back To The OEM One

Several years ago, a great friend of mine provided me with two Glock Extended Magazine releases for my Gen 3 G17 and G19. What I really wanted was the FBI one; AKA the Magazine Release Glock Allegedly Kiped From Larry Vickers (whether or not that's actually true, I don't know). However, those at the time I was in the hunt was pretty much unobtanium, so I went with the full-blown Glock Extended.

Mechanically, they worked just fine, and provided me with some nice stand-off distance from the receiver for my releasing finger to make it easiier to access and activate; and they're relatively sharp corners really didn't bother or affect me at all.

However, there were two downsides; 1), if you placed the gun release-side down on a flat, ungiving surface (like a nightstand table top) and inadvertantly pushed down, youi'd trigger the release; 2), Similarly, if you holstered the Glock with the Extended Release in a high-wall holster, where the release-side holster wall impacted on the release extension, it could inadvertantly activate the magazine release, and you'd be unknowingly have a single-shot pistol.

Obviously, there were some practical work-arounds: For nightstand use, I avoided the issue simply by propping the slide on an immovable raised object on the nightstand, which both pre-positioned the Glock for easier grabbing and kept the extended release out of trouble. And for carry, I simply judiciously chose appropriate holsters, ones that had cut-outs or no material around the magazinew release area that could impact on the magazine release.

However, I inevitably rigged up one day with a non-compliant holster, one that I am T&Eing. And I strolled out EDC'd. And when I got home, I discovered that the holster/release impact had indeed activated the release. The magazine was fractionally disengaged from the retaining catch-lowering the magazine sufficiently to preclude the slide feeder rail from stripping out and chambering cartridges from the magazine-and I was noncholantly strolling around with a single-shot pistol...

And while I liked the stand-off distance provided by the extended release, I literally can't recall a time where I fumbled to access or had any difficulties in activating the OEM release. It may take a slightly more forceful/deliberate effort, but that's simply not a big deal, and effort that I normally expend anyhow when activating a magazine release.

So-back to the OEM release on both the G17 and G19. And unless I choose or convert all my appropriate Glock holsters so that they can't inadvertantly impact on a magazine release, prudence dictated that where I'm at is where I'll stay (unless I dedicate any gun to being specifically a game gun, with a specific game holster-which I certainly don't see happening with the Glocks concerned.

So, not that the extended release is a Bad Thing per se, or that they (in my case, the Glock component) don't work and work effectively. But for me, they turned out to be not the best idea. YMMV. And I realize that if I really want a quality intermediate-length extended magazine release for my Glocks, there's the Vickers one, which my understanding is the same size as the FBI component; an intermediate between the Glock OEM and Extended length, with less chance of inadvertant release, but going that route would cast me out of SSP into ESP in IDPA. Not exactly the end of life as we know it, but for the time being I'll just stick with the Glock original component

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 12-04-2021 at 08:11 PM.

For various reasons I've always kept my guns stock. Every. Last. One.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

The advice to stick with an unmodified Glock is a safe bet. That said, I think that a person with a Gen3 should at least consider trying the Grip Force Adapter. Similarly, the advice to stick with the standard (short) OEM magazine release is a safe bet, and with an unmodified Gen3, it's what I'd do. With a Gen3 equipped with a Grip Force Adapter, however, I think a person ought to at least consider trying the Tangodown Vickers part.

I've gone back to stock on all of mine as well. Not sure if anyone else has run into this but, the gen4 and gen5 release obviously encroaches closer towards your support hand. If your support hand grip is remotely aggressive and rotated forward, you end up all kinds of surrounding the g4/g5 mag release. Too close for my comfort, but I've also been known to worry about "things that don't matter", so YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by Sig_Fiend View Post
    I've gone back to stock on all of mine as well. Not sure if anyone else has run into this but, the gen4 and gen5 release obviously encroaches closer towards your support hand. If your support hand grip is remotely aggressive and rotated forward, you end up all kinds of surrounding the g4/g5 mag release. Too close for my comfort, but I've also been known to worry about "things that don't matter", so YMMV.
    On my stock gen 5, I slightly rounded off the sharp corner near the trigger guard.

Quote Originally Posted by Sig_Fiend View Post
    I think it's something to be aware of, imho.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

The Gen 3 OEM extended release sticks out quite a bit. Bill Rodgers first showed me how he removed material to make them smaller.

The Gen 4/5 OEM is only marginally larger than stock. I believe that it was developed for the Feds. It does seem enough bigger to create issues with holsters or lying on a flat surface.

USPSA competitors with large paddle style mag releases, commonly place the pistol down on a surface with the mag release up.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

The only gun I've ever had pop a magazine out on me, was a Kel-Tec P-32. Carried in the right front pocket, the mag release wouldn't get bumped. If I tried to carry it in my "off" (left) side front pocket, with the mag catch facing outwards, invariably I'd push/bump/squish up against something that would depress the catch far enough to release the magazine. My solution was to take a small file to the plastic button, round it off and reduce the length enough that it no longer was able to be pressed when carrying on my off side front pocket. This took a bit of trial and error, taking a smidge off at a time and trying it for a few days. These days, my pocket gun is a J-frame, and the P-32's have gone on down the road.

I can see how the longer Gen3 Glock catch could cause issues, but I never had any when I used them. When I used them, the holsters I used were molded to accommodate and protect the longer catch. Cutting down an extended catch to something in the middle, size wise, seemed to work best for me. The Gen4/5 "FBI" catch doesn't seem long enough to interfere or cause any issues at all for me... even laid flat on a nightstand or table top. I think the more rounded front edge is less likely to get bumped off, verses the more square standard catch, but that is strictly my opinion/conjecture. The extra length is minimal... a millimeter? Far less difference than the Gen3 parts, in any event. I swap the "FBI" catch into all my Gen5 guns now.

I'm looking at Wilson for my Staccato C. The extension can be removed for EDC. I lead a low speed life so 9+1 should do fine although I'm training myself to carry an extra mag.

My grip causes magazines to inadvertently drop out of lots of pistols. During quals a couple of weeks ago I dumped a magazine out of an M17 after the very first round. I rarely do it with a stock Gen 4 or 5 Glock but it can still happen. The only pistol I don’t remember it happening with is a stock Gen 3 or any Gen of the 21. Never happened with a 1911 either. Extended releases are a big no for me. It’s one of the things I love about an HK paddle release. I know there’s no way for my grip to accidentally release it.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

User Tag List