Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: POA/POI, Small Targets and where does your pistol hit?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    Attachment 4441

Image #2 hold yielded these results at 25 yards.

Attachment 4442
    Nice - my Valor is definately sight picture #3 drive the dot.

JohnO, that's exactly what I want. However, it turns out that a couple of my pistols are #3.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    Recently we have been shooting at small targets at various distances. The 1" squares as well as the 3x5 cards.

I discovered that I had to cover the 1" squares with my front sight in order to not hit below the target. Also the walk back shots on the 3x5 cards made me wonder exactly where my pistol hit.

I described my tests with my pistols in my journal. https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....in-Chair/page9

I discovered that the new sights on a couple of my pistols were "drive the dot".

Where do your pistols hit? Do you change your hold for different distances?

I discovered that all of my pistols hit behind the front sight at very close distances because of offset.

How does anybody hit anything on a walk back drill?
    Precision shooting for me the ideal setup would be top of front sight post, equal height-equal light. That way small targets are not covered by the sights. There will be a small offset at close distance on all sight pictures because line of sight all sights is above line of bullet path. I like all my guns to be set up with the same POA/POI
    sight picture. This probably will require changing sights.

Precision shooting small targets is great for mastering the basic marksmanship fundamentals of pistol shooting, but in a defensive pistol shooting application I don't think it matters one bit.

HK45 running HDs or stock sights has always been a #3 hold over picture at all ranges. I've heard at 25 yard the HDs need a #2 blade hold (which would actually be preferable for long shots) but mine shoots POA/POI for better or worse.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

I use a drive the dot hold for everything besides precision shooting.. which honestly, I do less and less of. I do walk back drills on 3x5 and b8 timed shooting st 25 yards. Truth be told I focus on draws and shooting at speed now

"Find Your Level" DotW was an eye opener for me as well. Referencing the chart posted by JohnO, I had to use a #3 hold to hit the 1" square at 5 yd with the VP 9 (stock sights) or else I'd hit approx. 1" low. I didn't run that drill with the G17 (Warren Sev sights), but I know from past experience, I use a #2 hold with that pistol.

Most modern fixed combat sights on pistols come as a dot based POA / POI, especially the Sig Sauer and they specifically teach it "float the dot, shoot the shot". Halfing the target with the front sight is definitely a holdover from the days with adjustable sights and is still a common bullseye technique. I use that type of POA / POI and do get better precision.
    Last edited by Surf; 11-18-2015 at 11:07 AM.

I have no where near the shooting ability of those posting here, but just thought I would offer this;
    Between my failing 52 year old eyes, and my personal "struggle" to find the best sights for me led me to the CAP series from Ameriglo.
    I had originally installed them on a G36, and immediatly liked them, as they function as a drive the dot sight. Proctor's sights worked well for me, but I wanted a Tritium carry, with a rear Tritium vial also.
    While there are too many types of night sights to name, the CAP design is almost "instinctual" to my eyes...whether it is that I am subconsciously using the rear horizontal bar on them or not, they point very naturally for me.
    Just last week I installed a set on my G17 gen 4 that I have settled into as my EDC, and went this past weekend to work with them.
    For me, these sights are working as drive the dot, to about 15 yards, and I have not shot them beyond.
    Below was my 8 shots on a 3x5, at ten yards. I'm showing this card only as my first shots with the sights on the G17 to illustrate how after I settled in, I was able to drive the 1" paster. the rest of the range time went just as well.
    Attachment 4449

This weekend I hope to spend time at 20 and beyond, to figure out my hold over/under and alignment.
    Last edited by CSW; 11-18-2015 at 04:56 PM.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

When my eyes were better, I much preferred the impact to be on top of the front blade. At 60 with sucky eyesight, I find Trij HDs to be perfect since I can't really distinguish the top of the blade anymore. I can use the dot, and this has added precision back into my shooting. Both my 239 and 226R have duty loads that zero to the top of the dot, which is, IMO and for my eyes, the best of both worlds.

Site Supporter
    I prefer to drive the dot,and find it works well for me. I don't mind that my front sight covers the 1" squre at 3-5 yards, I know when I can't see it, i'll hit it.

User Tag List