Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Russian ammo question

I've shot thousands of rounds of Wolf, Tula/Herter's and Silver/Brown Bear 9mm out my various Glocks (19/17/34's) in practice, classes and IDPA/USPSA club matches with no issues except the occasional FTF.

Like others said its dirty, lower velocity and hard primed but I've found it reasonably accurate and reliable for inexpensive, steel-cased ammo. It's GTG in my book.

I think Herters brass-cased ammo is made by S&B, the steel cased made by Tula, and their shotgun shells are made somewhere in Italy. If you prefer brass over steel cased ammo I think their prices are still very reasonable.

I have shot a lot of this stuff, pistol and rifle.. 223 seems to be under powered but has caused no issues. The biggest draw back for me it has always seemed to be dirtier, and with the price of decent brass now the cost difference does not justify it for me. If there is a big price difference in the future I may go back to it.

Personally, I am not a fan of steel-cased ammo... but, I reload, so the few dollars more for brass cased ammo is a wise choice. ( However Wolf Gold in .223 is outstanding, Taiwan made )

Also, I have yet to see any of it be very accurate. And I prefer accuracy over saving a few dollars per case.

For example... Fed. Tipped Varmint .223 can be bought for cheap enough to easily outweigh the cost savings from steel-cased ammo.... and its 100yd accuracy is outstanding.

As far as pistol ammo goes... I can't say I have ever fired any in my handguns.

Quote Originally Posted by JFS811 View Post
    Has anyone used the Russian ammo like Wolf. Seems to be some good deals but only of the ammo is ok. Anyone have any advice on this type of ammo?
    Thanks, Jay
    The question is too vague as to which exact brand, caliber, ammo casing material, and weapon in which it will be used.
    I'm agreeing with post #2.

User Tag List