Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone using a Gen3 trigger bar in a Gen4?

Quote Originally Posted by zml342 View Post
    Can some one explain why you would want to use a gen3 bar in a gen4?
    I found in my samples (19 and 26) it yields a lighter trigger pull.... and I wanted a smooth trigger shoe anyhow.

Can some one explain why you would want to use a gen3 bar in a gen4?
    In my experience the Gen 3's seem cleaner, lighter, and they polish up much more nicely. For me the difference in feel between the two is pretty noticeable. I've been working over the pile of Gen 4 assemblies in my parts bin to see if there is room for improvement, but I haven't shot any of them yet.

Quote Originally Posted by JBP55 View Post
    MAY NOT work properly in a Gen 4 Glock and is not recommended by Glock INC.
    That's Glock's stance regarding any and all modifications, after-market parts, and what have you. It's valid and verifiable...and is a glittering generality that only answers a liability/warranty question that wasn't asked.

To reframe the question that 1911Nut and others are probably trying to ask: What are the mechanical descriptions of HOW and WHY a generational swapping of trigger bars might be problematic (or not)?

Describing effects (light, crisp, roll, compromises XYZ safety feature) is all good and well, but how does the material, geometry, etc. generate those effects?

Anyone using a Gen3 trigger bar in a Gen4?

Gen 3 on top, Gen 4 on bottom.

While I'm not sure of ALL the changes, the Gen 4 has a little nub on the striker block safety engagement "ear". Per Glock the ear rides along the inside of the slide to make sure the "nub" impacts the middle of the striker block during he pull. I'm not sure how much of a problem offset engagement was, but I've never heard of it nor experienced it (as far as I can tell).

While there may be more changes, I can't see them with my naked eye. That certainly doesn't mean they don't exist, I just don't know either way.

I CAN tell you that a G3 bar in a G4 yields a measured 1/2 lighter pull in multiple G4 Glocks that I have played with.

Harold

ETA - looking back at my numbers written down for different combinations, 1/2 lb was a more realistic reduction for a G3 bar in a G4.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by punkey71; 11-18-2015 at 11:25 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasage View Post
    I found in my samples (19 and 26) it yields a lighter trigger pull.... and I wanted a smooth trigger shoe anyhow.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB326 View Post
    In my experience the Gen 3's seem cleaner, lighter, and they polish up much more nicely. For me the difference in feel between the two is pretty noticeable. I've been working over the pile of Gen 4 assemblies in my parts bin to see if there is room for improvement, but I haven't shot any of them yet.
    Thanks for your responses

Quote Originally Posted by punkey71 View Post
    While I'm not sure of ALL the changes, the Gen 4 has a little nub on the striker block safety engagement "ear". Per Glock the ear rides along the inside of the slide to make sure the "nub" impacts the middle of the striker block during he pull. I'm not sure how much of a problem offset engagement was, but I've never heard of it nor experienced it (as far as I can tell).

While there may be more changes, I can't see them with my naked eye. That certainly doesn't mean they don't exist, I just don't know either way.

I CAN tell you that a G3 bar in a G4 yields a measured 1/2 lighter pull in multiple G4 Glocks that I have played with.
    I guess that nub adds just enough friction to cause an additional 1/2lbf to the pull. Is it just me making stuff up, or does it look like the geometries are slightly different?
    Last edited by zml342; 11-18-2015 at 01:54 PM.

Thanks for your responses

I guess that nub adds just enough friction to cause an additional 1/2lbf to the pull. Is it just me making stuff up, or does it look like the geometries are slightly different?
    I think the camera angle makes them look more different than they actually are.

That said, I think there is some difference besides the nub that I just can't see. Just my opinion.

While the nub is friction I just can't wrap my head around it making THAT much difference. I don't know though, honestly.

The pull is different, for sure. The cause is a little mysterious to me.

AFAIK Glock parts are stamped and even the same Gen/part# can yield different results

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    While the nub is friction I just can't wrap my head around it making THAT much difference. I don't know though, honestly.

I definitely agree with that. It is the only factor that blatantly stood out to me.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911Nut View Post
    Can anyone provide the specifics of what may not work properly? There appears to be a work around, at least in some instances. If one were determined to install the Gen 3 trigger bar in a Gen 4 pistol, what are the things to look for?

Thanks.

Possibly less engagement with the firing pin.

I think the camera angle makes them look more different than they actually are.

That said, I think there is some difference besides the nub that I just can't see. Just my opinion.

I have worked on many Glocks and I have never seen an 8oz. difference between a Gen 3 and Gen 4 trigger bar.

User Tag List