Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Benefits to taking Glock Armorers Courses ?

Two more:

Why does the Gen 5 locking block have an extra slot cast in it for another assembly pin?

What are the correct torque values for Glock front sights (polymer / steel)?

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Two more:

Why does the Gen 5 locking block have an extra slot cast in it for another assembly pin?
    Carry over locking block from the Gen3/Gen4 G19/G23/G32

What are the correct torque values for Glock front sights (polymer / steel)?[/QUOTE]

Hand tight. Easy to strip out the poly sight.

Steel/night sights are hand tight. Glock uses Loctite 271 (red). Good idea to degrease steel sights and screws prior to applying minimal amount of loctite.

I took the GLOCK AC yesterday. I'm going to cross post my AAR from my TJ into this thread, since it's relevant to my earlier questions.

GLOCK Armorer’s Course

After Action Review
    Naples, FL. Collier County Professional Development Center
    August 17, 2021 08:00AM to 5:00PM

I took this class as a civilian/GSSF member to get certified as an Armorer. My goal was for personal development, and to learn the factory perspective on GLOCK pistols. My background is as a retiree from 30+ years in the Aerospace industry in Instructional Systems Development for DoD and overseas contracts. I use a GLOCK 19 MOS for EDC and a GLOCK 34 MOS in USPSA.

Name:  IMG_9548.jpg
Views: 1444
Size:  77.9 KB

Class cost was $250. Attendees were heavily skewed to LEO from Collier County Sheriff's department. Besides myself, there were two other students in retail firearms out of the 30+ participants. Class started promptly at 08:00AM, and wrapped up around 4:00PM.

The Instructor was retired law enforcement, with deep and wide experience in the gun industry and competitive shooting, and had been with GLOCK for 10+ years. The class was held in traditional lecture/powerpoint format. Due to my vision (corrected nearsighted), as per normal I sat near the front, but the projector in use in the large classroom had some problems in providing adequate contrast for some of the detailed slides. The instructor stayed on point all day, with no war stories or distractions. The class had frequent and timely breaks, and the delivery pace was excellent.

The Powerpoint slides were appropriate to the learning objectives. The student could use the Armorer’s Manual as a reference when needed. The manual is spiral bound, lies flat, and is very clear with many high-quality photographs and printed on durable paper. Animations of the GLOCK pistol were used to illustrate the lecture.

Each student had at their station a complete Gen 5 GLOCK 19 or GLOCK 17 pistol with magazine in a small box for the practical exercise and test. In addition, every other student had a box with two GLOCK earlier gen pistol frames (one Gen 3 and one Gen 4) as well. The instructor also brought several current-model production GLOCKs (19X, 45, 43X, 48, 17 MOS, 44) as well as a very interesting “cutaway” GLOCK 22 with openings to see all the moving parts. He also had blue frame LE and red frame practice GLOCKs as well.

Lunch (a tray-type BBQ spread set out at the back of the classroom) was provided by GLOCK, and much appreciated. Complimentary coffee was available in the break room down the hall.

Misc. Class Notes

These are just random things I noted for highlights out of the course.

Spring cup joints must not lie on the firing pin spring, they must be offset. Rotate the cups after assembly if needed. Also: Spring cups are very difficult to re-locate if you drop them on carpet.

We learned an effective way to use the GLOCK disassembly tool to remove the magazine floor plate: use punch as a lever to “click” floorplate forward 1/10”, then remove with thumb.

Push down on locking block and trigger to aid in insertion of the locking block pin.

Pins go out left to right, and back in, right to left.

Extractor Depressor Plunger goes “metal to metal” and “polymer to polymer”.

The Gen 5 Firing Pin Safety must be oriented with the “notch” towards the centerline of the pistol.

For a magazine spring check, ensure at least 2 coils protrude past the end of the magwell body.

Less oil is better than more. When GLOCK says “a drop” they mean a pin-head size. Needle oilers are great for this.

A spare GLOCK Magazine Catch Spring makes a very useful tool to assist to compress the Slide Lock Spring while attempting to re-insert the Slide Lock itself.

Test/Certification consisted of two parts, a written test and practical exam. The written test was 25 questions (minimum 80% to pass) and the practical exam was to correctly disassemble/reassemble a standard Gen 5 GLOCK pistol (including firing pin assembly down to the spring cups) within 15 minutes. My score was 100/100, and I took about 5 minutes to take the gun apart and put it back together. The test questions were not onerous, but you did have to pay attention in class. The test was open book, but there was not a lot of time to flip through the material during the test. The instructor did an excellent job of emphasizing key points through the day.

Supplies provided to the student for use and to take away included:

- Large GLOCK Bench Mat (I like this one; the gray surface is easy to see small parts)
    - Small rubber GLOCK parts tray
    - GLOCK Pen
    - GLOCK Armorer’s Manual (EN 31997 04/21)
    - GLOCK Slide Cover Plates - Orange (both full size and slimline) aka Armorer’s Plate
    - GLOCK Sport Shooting Foundation and GLOCK Training Course leaflets
    - GLOCK Disassembly Tool (aka punch)

I brought my own +2 diopter full lens eye pro and a small bright 1 AAA flashlight.

Things I felt could be improved or added:

I would add a single “Wrap up” slide at the end of the course to take the student back to the Learning Objectives, and confirm everything that was taught, as a course summary. As a retail customer, I would have appreciated a quick walk-through of the elements of the GLOCK pistol case as it is handed to the customer. Just a list of all the additional materials (cleaning brush, magazine loader, Gen 4/5 backstrap kit, etc.) and quick description of their use. This may not be emphasized since the class is heavily oriented to Law Enforcement, perhaps. Neither one of these is a big deal.

Wrap up

Overall, I felt the course offered solid value for money. I’m self-taught on GLOCK pistols from on-line and other sources, but getting the Factory perspective on history, tools and techniques will make me safer and more confident maintaining and using my guns. I would highly recommend it to anyone.

1) The only one I can think of is to do with GLOCK sights, which is: What is the designed "hold" for GLOCK pistols using plastic sights? Top of front sight? Or "shoot the dot"?
    2) Is it ok to remove the copper colored anti-seize paste that comes in new Glocks, and relube, or should this absolutely be left on?

3) Why are the latches on Glock factory boxes "upside down"?

4) Why does the Gen 5 locking block have an extra slot cast in it for another assembly pin?

5) What are the correct torque values for Glock front sights (polymer / steel)?
    I just wanted to touch on a few of these questions that I did get some answers to, for future reference:

1) Neither is the answer, apparently. The section on sights in the manual indicates how to pick different sight heights to move groups, but all the groups pictures (it's just an image of bullet splashes) listed "cover" the aiming point.

2) The armorer manual repeats what is in the GLOCK pistol instructions; leave the copper-colored grease in place.

3) The instructor indicated they are assembled at the factory either way, he's seen both directions used. I pointed out I'd literally never seen a GLOCK box other than with latches opening down. So I dunno.

4) Forgot to ask this one, sorry.

5) The AM does not list torque values. For the plastic front sights, directions are tighten until snug. For steel/night sights, the guidance is to degrease, apply threadlocking type adhesive, and tighten until snug.

Did they hit on parts availability? IE: when they might be available again online, or for armorers to order direct? I'd guess not unless someone brought it up, as LE probably is prioritized, and can still order parts a bit easier than Joe Schmoe.

From their "Parts" page online: Due to the influx in product production, we are not currently accepting e-commerce part orders at this time. We apologize for any inconvenience and will resume accepting orders as soon as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by WDR View Post
    Did they hit on parts availability? IE: when they might be available again online, or for armorers to order direct? I'd guess not unless someone brought it up, as LE probably is prioritized, and can still order parts a bit easier than Joe Schmoe.

From their "Parts" page online: Due to the influx in product production, we are not currently accepting e-commerce part orders at this time. We apologize for any inconvenience and will resume accepting orders as soon as possible.
    Yes, this was mentioned in class.

The instructors had actually been asked to assist the factory in 7 day a week/mutiple-shift production last year, because of staff shortages caused by COVID in Smyrna. He specifically mentioned GLOCK was still diverting parts production into completing guns on back order, and that GLOCK built or delivered (or both, I wasn't clear) 2 Million (2 Million!) guns in 2020.

So yeah, going to be a while. He didn't have any outlook on when this might ease.

Yes, this was mentioned in class.

The instructors had actually been asked to assist the factory in 7 day a week/mutiple-shift production last year, because of staff shortages caused by COVID in Smyrna. He specifically mentioned GLOCK was still diverting parts production into completing guns on back order, and that GLOCK built or delivered (or both, I wasn't clear) 2 Million (2 Million!) guns in 2020.

So yeah, going to be a while. He didn't have any outlook on when this might ease.
    Thanks! That is about what I thought would be the case. I suppose if they only made 2 million guns last year, I need to buy a few more... Spare guns are spare parts, no?

Quote Originally Posted by WDR View Post
    Thanks! That is about what I thought would be the case. I suppose if they only made 2 million guns last year, I need to buy a few more... Spare guns are spare parts, no?
    I asked whether the class Glock 17 Gen 5 was part of the "Student Supplies" I could take home and was told sadly no.

Site Supporter
    Glad you sent this. It reminded me to check on my Glock armorer expiration date.
    10.4 21.
    Just sent an email to our Training Lieutenant to find me a class close by.

Site Supporter

Update 03/14/2023

This is a brief update to RJ's excellent review above. I did the Glock Armorer Class 03/24/2023 at CMP Talladega, AL. My experience generally mirrors RJ's. I found the class very worthwhile. It was interesting to see the evolution of the Glock pistol. Clearly Glock learns from its mistakes and listens to its customers. A new feature to the class was learning about and installing the new Glock Performance Trigger: https://us.glock.com/en/LEARN/GLOCK-...rmance-trigger. My subjective impression is that the new trigger is a fairly dramatic improvement over the stock trigger. Apparently Glock cannot keep up with demand at $99.

All in all, this was time well spent - especially for someone who is not a "Glock guy".

User Tag List