Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Benefits to taking Glock Armorers Courses ?

Benefits to taking Glock Armorers Courses ?

Hello - I'd thought about taking the Glock armorer's courses. Unfortunately, the class offered that was fairly close to me was cancelled. If I were to sign up for any of the scheduled 2015 or 2016 classes it would run me at least $450 for class, hotel, gas & food. I'm a vet, but not active LEO or military. I'm guessing that I would also have to join GSSF to qualify to sign up.
    I know how Glocks basically work. What benefits would there be for a civilian CCW holder to take the basic and advanced armorers courses ? Thanks -

As an interesting diversion, from an academic standpoint, and if you've got the money to burn, you would enjoy it.

If you DON'T have the money to burn, anything you're not clear about regarding servicing your pistol you could learn for free right here, with the proper questions.

Its kind of like my upcoming trip to GunSite. You must start out with their basic class; I could possibly get a waiver for one of the advanced classes, but my wife could not. So we'll do the basic "this is a gun, the bullets come out of this end and we'll go from there" offering. I don't expect to learn much, if anything. No doubt there will be a few nuggets of info to be gleaned, but mainly I'll coast through it. My wife, OTOH, although she is no cherry at this, should learn a tremendous amount. I know, that sounds arrogant on my part, but there it is.

My point is, its a very expensive trip that will gain me not much more than being able to say I've been there... which is the whole idea. GunSite started it all, and has been one of my bucket list items since I was a pup. But by the time I was in a position to be able to go, I was pretty far along in other training/experience, so I couldn't see the point. Now, in my declining years, I'm going just because.

IOW, if you've got the time and resources to spend, by all means, do it. If those resources would be better spent elsewhere, and you're just looking to increase your knowledge base... pass. You can do the latter right here, for free. There are plenty of highly experienced Glock mechanics on this board.

I guess what I really wonder about are any benefits of having the certificate for completing the armorers and advanced armorers classes. Do you get cost breaks on parts or pistols ? Can you do work on your Glocks that would otherwise void warranty ? Are any parts available to you that you could not find offered to the general public ? I should have been more clear in my original post.
    Last edited by SamAdams; 11-17-2015 at 11:04 AM.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Having the actual certificate? Not really. You do get certain default benefits by being a member of GSSF though, so that might be worth the cost alone.

If you're starting from scratch knowledge-wise, it might be worth the time. Ultimately, if you're just looking to learn the mechanics, pick up a free copy of Gun Disassembly 2. The Glock 19 model is no charge. You'll learn a lot more from that than the armorer's course.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

You can order parts at a discount direct from Glock:
    https://us.glock.com/documents/FRM-72-26.xls

The only reason I've taken the various armorer's courses I've taken is so that if a student shows up to a basic defensive handgun class I'm teaching and their gun is fucked up like a football bat, I can hopefully un-ass their gear enough to let them finish the class. Hopefully being the operative word there.

Thanks everyone for your replies. That helps in my decision.

I have a half dozen Glocks now. Ive done a complete detail strip on most of them. Haven't needed to do any repair work on them, though.
    It sounds like I might better spend my money on a used Glock, maybe even a trade in - if I wanted something to learn further and build skills with. For me, that would probably be more beneficial than the one day armorers class. In terms of total cost, cheaper too.

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    Having the actual certificate? Not really. You do get certain default benefits by being a member of GSSF though, so that might be worth the cost alone.

If you're starting from scratch knowledge-wise, it might be worth the time. Ultimately, if you're just looking to learn the mechanics, pick up a free copy of Gun Disassembly 2. The Glock 19 model is no charge. You'll learn a lot more from that than the armorer's course.
    I think that "game" needs a thread all to its own. Tremendously helpful resource IMO.
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendMeat View Post
    I think that "game" needs a thread all to its own. Tremendously helpful resource IMO.
    I've recommended it a number of different times. It's a great resource to learn about firearms, without having to worry about breaking something.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Having taken the class myself (for much less than $450) I would not do it again. Apart from a few interesting bits of trivia regarding gen 3 .40 caliber mag springs and such, there really isn't much you couldn't learn from just watching youtube or using other freely available online resources.

If it was a more complex platform like a SIG or a HK or a CZ or a 1911 I would imagine the investment would be more worthwhile. however, Glocks are dirt simple and if you don't know how to detail strip one you can find a youtube video that will teach you how to do it in under 15 minutes for $0. Sounds like you've already made the right decision but in case you had any residual interest you have my 0.02 USD.

User Tag List