Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Best short test to measure group progress

5 rounds of 9mm and 1 .356 hole? Somebody a while back said 1 hole drill at 5 yards I I said that seemed easy, my idea of one hole is all touching, but here that is not the case? That seems insanely hard, even at 3 yards, probably even at 2 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by Wannabe View Post
    5 rounds of 9mm and 1 .356 hole? Somebody a while back said 1 hole drill at 5 yards I I said that seemed easy, my idea of one hole is all touching, but here that is not the case? That seems insanely hard, even at 3 yards, probably even at 2 yards.
    That is always the goal with a one hole drill. Doesn't mean it happens every time.

funny, I always thought the "test" started from holstered concealment. That is the only way I have ran it. I recently have been getting 95s or better consistently so I have started to up the range with the same par time.

last time I shot it at 10
    Name:  20151017_103203.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  35.8 KB

probably my favorite drill right now. I have shot with people that when they first hear this drill assume they are gonna smoke it. I have only shot with a couple other people that can consistently shoot above an 80.. for what ever its worth. and yes I somehow managed to get three stringed vertically but touching.. I thought I had missed completely at first lol.
    Last edited by breakingtime91; 11-17-2015 at 12:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin B. View Post
    Ahhhh....

If that is the case, I stand corrected.
    I so wanted it to be groups they shot.

Bill Wilson's 5x5 test seems to be simple and a pretty good basic covering of bases.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I did originally intend "group" to mean a group of students, but of course I want to see if their grouping is getting better. Some awesome ideas here! I am a huge fan of the one hole drill, but I tend to use it as way to end a practice session rather than a group assessment test. After a year of classes I really want to be able to look at the averages and quantify improvement, if any.

Quote Originally Posted by Dallasmed View Post
    I did originally intend "group" to mean a group of students, but of course I want to see if their grouping is getting better. Some awesome ideas here! I am a huge fan of the one hole drill, but I tend to use it as way to end a practice session rather than a group assessment test. After a year of classes I really want to be able to look at the averages and quantify improvement, if any.
    As an alternative to shooting groups - a challenging target walk back drill conducted every so often should be indicative, can be scored and tracked, and mixes things up with a good bit of fun. 3x5 or 4x6
    Last edited by JHC; 11-17-2015 at 12:38 PM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Why not just use an AMRAP drill? Target size and distance could be whatever the OP felt appropriate. The score is the number of good hits in the allotted time. This could allow a large number of students to be run all at once. Existing targets could perhaps be used. It is pretty much relevant to LE work. Scores can easily be tracked and it can reward both speed and accuracy depending on distance and target size.
    Last edited by 167; 11-17-2015 at 05:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 167 View Post
    Why not just use an AMRAP drill?
    AMRAP is fine but you must create some disincentive for dumping a magazine. I've done something similar with rifles, face for ~2 seconds and hit the 8" circle AMRAP. We count the number of hits in the circle for base score and then subtract the number of rounds out for a final score. I've had people shoot negative scores.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    AMRAP is fine but you must create some disincentive for dumping a magazine. I've done something similar with rifles, face for ~2 seconds and hit the 8" circle AMRAP. We count the number of hits in the circle for base score and then subtract the number of rounds out for a final score. I've had people shoot negative scores.
    Sounds reasonable to me

One of my favorite drills. Mike Pannone's 15 in 10 Drill. It can be modified based on ability. In Mike's class I did 18 in 10 with one C zone hit. We had an instructor from the Sig Academy in the class who did 21 in 10.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MeFZM6LwHE

User Tag List