Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Arcteryx Atom LT or SV?

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Dang, that's good experience...how long has he had it and the range of temps?
    Since Spring of 2013 up there. I just called him to check on temps. He said a flannel shirt, a fleece, the LT and his Mountain Hardware rain shell and he is good in the 15-20 ° range. He did remind me I'd given him a down coat from my WI days that he uses when the temps get down much further as was today at 0°. I'd forgotten about that.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

When his older brother and I took a class from Hackathorn in TN a couple years ago temps dropped into the 20's, and he was comfortable with a base layer, light fleece and the LT. It's so compressible he tucked it in to wear the OWB holster to make it easier to manage drills. I didn't own one at that time but got one right after that after seeing that.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Might be more than you are looking for, but this is the single best jacket I own, the Fission SL. My wife and I have used them for five years in Alaska and the western US.

http://arcteryx.com/product.aspx?lan...sion-SL-Jacket

Sent from my iPhone
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

One other note on sizes. The 1st Gen LT is what all of us have. I'm not very large framed but still have size large. It fits fine and I can layer under it. Had I got a med, it would have been limited to either over a shirt or as a mid layer. Most coats I'd probably wear a Med. Try before you buy size wize.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Might be more than you are looking for, but this is the single best jacket I own, the Fission SL. My wife and I have used them for five years in Alaska and the western US.

Sent from my iPhone
    WANT!!!!!

Waterproof to boot.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post

Sent from my iPhone
    Thats a seriously awesome jacket. Unfortunately the coldest it gets here is around 10f and thats once in a while. This is more of a jacket when i cant wear my bravo.

@jhc thanks for the input. My bravo is a large and its too tight to put anything under, i might have to get an xl.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

It's threads like this that make me curse my corporate overlords for not letting use my employee discount on the LEAF line.

My outdoorsy range jackets are an Atom LT, Bravo and a Triple Aught Design Ranger hoodie.

The Atom LT gets worn the most, and the Bravo the least. I want to get another Atom LT. I saw TAD had a similar looking jacket last time I was at their shop, might try that instead. Made in USA vs Asia, too.
    Last edited by HopetonBrown; 11-15-2015 at 03:04 AM.

I don't have much experience with the SV but the Atom LT is one of the most versatile garments I've come across. It's my goto mid-weight garment for a wide range of activities and I use them extensively all four seasons (I live at 9000', so our summer nights can get cool). They've proven themselves in my eyes to the extent that 3 years ago I purchased 40+ of them as issue garments for our Search and Rescue Team (to go along with a hard shell layer).

When comparing them directly to some of the other synthetic insulated mid-weight garments of this type; Patagonia's puffball (and I suspect the SV) as an example, the LT offers slightly less pure insulation value. However I've found them MUCH more appropriate for active use as they breathe better, dry more quickly, are thinner/lighter, etc... For those familiar, they perform similarly in that regard to the newer Patagonia Nano Air technology, but with notably better wind breaking performance (and incidentally, notably better durability).

As an aside, our Patrol Commander, after getting to play with one of the team jackets, directed me to order another batch to patch up and demo as an additional patrol garment option. That was a couple years ago and they've worked out very well in that role also and have become an addition to our other issued outerwear.

I quite literally live in mine.

t

I have an Atom LT no hood and Atom AR. Civvy version of what you are looking at. An Atom LT and hard shell will give you the most versatility. Both Atoms are intended as a mid layer with different insulation values, light and heavy. The side panels of the LT breath and make the jacket comfortable over a wide temp range. It also lets wind in. The SV does not have stretch fleece side panels like the LT. I would recommend trying the LT first and layering with a hardshell. If that doesn't do it then get the SV. The LT can still be layered under the SV for really cold days. The jackets are athletic fit because they are a mid layer. I got a size up to accommodate wearing stuff on my belt like my cell phone.

User Tag List