Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Arcteryx Atom LT or SV?

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Bringing this thread back.

Seeing people talk about their dead bird jackets in the "expensive don't regret buying thread" and I want to drop some cash on an alpha. I think. I love my LT hoody and it does the job really well.

Suggestions?
    If you're considering the SV, I'd suggest not doing so. I run hot as it is, but IMO our east coast winters get too humid for that level of Gore Tex. I have an alpha LT which is great, but I don't think they make it any more. If I was to get an alpha shell today I'd consider the SL but that's because I'd primary be using it for aerobic activities.

Quote Originally Posted by jc000 View Post
    If you're considering the SV, I'd suggest not doing so. I run hot as it is, but IMO our east coast winters get too humid for that level of Gore Tex. I have an alpha LT which is great, but I don't think they make it any more. If I was to get an alpha shell today I'd consider the SL but that's because I'd primary be using it for aerobic activities.
    Don't make the LT??? That's hideous. I loaned my LEAF LT out to someone for their trip to AFG and thought I'd get another this Fall. Dammit!
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I just looked at the site. I think they only do the LT for LEAF now?

Oh yeah, I'm gana go with a leaf option if possible.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

I think you have to decide between Goretex paclite or Goretex pro. The Alpha SV is Pro and the SL is paclite. I don't care for paclite. I prefer the sturdier SV. The pockets are meant to be accessed across the body, which is a little different.

I have a Naga hoody that I love, so I've been debating between getting an Atom LT or a Cold WX Hoody LT. (It seems the Atom SV has been discontinued on the LEAF side).

I decided on the WX Cold LT, but while researching I found a great review of the Atom LT, and somebody asked about the difference between the Atom LT and Atom SV. FWIW, the gentleman doing the review and answering the question is using the gear to ice climb at elevation, so his answer doesn't reflect how most of us use these light jackets.

http://coldthistle.blogspot.com/2011...w-good-is.html

Question:
    "Hi Dane,

It may be a little late to ask for your input from an older post; however, I'm in the market for a new jacket and I like your comments on the Arcteryx Atom LT Hoody. I also looked at the Atom SV Hoody (I only looked at both jackets on the internet). Do you know the difference between the two jackets? Is there any advantage of using the Atom SV in cold, damp conditions over the Atom LT?

The reason I ask these questions, I will be climbing in Vermont (Lake Willoughby) and New Hampshire for five weeks this winter, between January and February and I want a jacket that will perform in cold, and sometimes windy, and damp northeast conditions.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice you can give me.

Larry"

Answer:
    "Larry, the Atom Lt is truly just a sweater. The Atom SV is an excellent mid weight belay jacket made to layer over the Atom Lt. Sounds like you want the SV...reviews here on both just use the search function."
    Last edited by Jeff S.; 10-29-2017 at 04:47 PM.

Still been considering an alpha, decided to get a kuiu super down jacket instead.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Still been considering an alpha, decided to get a kuiu super down jacket instead.
    The Alpha SV uses a heavier face fabric than the LT so it should be sturdier. The LT uses a lighter face fabric to cut weight. I think both use Goretex Pro. Alpha's are expedition fit so are cut looser for layering. Arcteryx uses trim fit, athletic/standard fit, and expedition fit. I bought an Alpha to go over a puffy down coat.

I use the Beta AR as an everday jacket. If you don't know already, Arcteryx uses SV to stand for Severe, AR for All Around, and LT for Light, SL for Super light.

Moontrail and Sierra Trading Post sometimes have good deals if you can find your size and a color you like.
    Last edited by DamonL; 11-04-2017 at 08:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff S. View Post
    I have a Naga hoody that I love, so I've been debating between getting an Atom LT or a Cold WX Hoody LT. (It seems the Atom SV has been discontinued on the LEAF side).
    As much as I am an Arcteryx fan boy, I like down jackets versus synthetic in general. Over years of use, down will maintain its loft better. I like the Atom LT because it is so versatile. Sweater weight jackets are really versatile.
    Last edited by DamonL; 11-04-2017 at 08:10 AM.

User Tag List