Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Off-center sights on my brand new Sig P220. Is this my imagination or a QC issue?

Vending Machine Operator

Off-center sights on my brand new Sig P220. Is this my imagination or a QC issue?

Good afternoon,

I recently purchased a brand new Sig P220R with Siglite night sights and 1000 rounds of FMJ and HST as a dedicated range and home defense pistol, eventually aiming to add an SRT trigger, X300 light instead of my TLR-1, and G10 grips once I have enough of a round count through the pistol to appreciate their benefits (I'm still a relatively low round count shooter, relative to this forum, though I'm getting pretty good with my Beretta 92FS). This was a brand new in box, plastic, and factory oil 220R that ran me about $870 all told. Born date on the fired cartridge was January of 2015.

Looking at the pistol today (still unfired), I noticed that the rear sights seem to be 1-2mm drifted to the right. Pics attached. I haven't handled the pistol enough to have done this.

Is this a real issue at all? Am I seeing things? If I'm not, is this easy enough to fix with normal tools?

Edit: Please don't be alarmed by the 'loaded' posture of the extractor, I was practicing with A-Zoom snap caps when I noticed the issue.

Last edited by LockedBreech; 11-13-2015 at 06:23 PM.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Looks like it might be a bit off to the right and yes, it's easily fixed. However, before you get your panties in a bunch go shoot the thing. It just might shoot straight.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Vending Machine Operator
    Roger, will keep panties unbunched until I can get to the range, but let it be known they are on the razor edge of bunched.

If it's a non-issue I'm sorry to waste bandwidth.
    Last edited by LockedBreech; 11-13-2015 at 06:28 PM.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    Good afternoon,

I recently purchased a brand new Sig P220R with Siglite night sights and 1000 rounds of FMJ and HST as a dedicated range and home defense pistol, eventually aiming to add an SRT trigger, X300 light instead of my TLR-1, and G10 grips once I have enough of a round count through the pistol to appreciate their benefits (I'm still a relatively low round count shooter, relative to this forum, though I'm getting pretty good with my Beretta 92FS). This was a brand new in box, plastic, and factory oil 220R that ran me about $870 all told. Born date on the fired cartridge was January of 2015.

Looking at the pistol today (still unfired), I noticed that the rear sights seem to be 1-2mm drifted to the right. Pics attached. I haven't handled the pistol enough to have done this.

Is this a real issue at all? Am I seeing things? If I'm not, is this easy enough to fix with normal tools?

Edit: Please don't be alarmed by the 'loaded' posture of the extractor, I was practicing with A-Zoom snap caps when I noticed the issue.

I cant see your photos. It the sight loose? if not, you need to shoot it and see if it shoots to point of aim. I would recommend having a second shooter try it. Not all guns shoot to POA with the sight centered.

Sig circa 2015... default answer is it's a QC issue.
    Good news is Sig seems to have turned the corner on catastrophic QC issues (based on Internet chatter) and is mostly turning out cosmetic or easily fixed screw ups.

Out of three new Sigs I bought this past year or so, only one was anywhere close to being "zeroed" from the factory.
    The Sig Pro was pretty much dead on.
    Both of my "classics" Sigs (P229R and M11A1) were off on elevation (one was high, one was low) by >6" at 25Y.
    Other than the sights all three have performed well, with the Pro being outstanding.
    Last edited by JodyH; 11-14-2015 at 09:53 AM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

I use SIGs and Glocks socially, and have sight pushers for both. While it's nice for new guns to have the sights centered in the dovetails, that's no guarantee it should stay there with individual eyes and load. I see it as a minor annoyance, but not much else. SIG should do better, but I wouldn't worry about it personally.

Sometimes you find a Sig that has perfect front and rear sight position with the corresponding point of aim, but in reality most will have some slight sight adjustment to line the sights up the to correct POA. There will always be slight differences in the tolerances between the barrel and slide, and how the parts mate together. Shoot it and make sure that the sights are in the correct position, and if they need adjusting a Sig sight pusher can take care of that, or a skilled armorer/gunsmith can tap it into position.

Unless the pistol was test fired at the factory, this is a QC problem(otherwise there would be no way to confirm POA/POI). Make sure the rear sight isn't loose in the dovetail.

That rear sight does seem to have a very right inclination. Wonder if the Sig guy who put it together is a GLOCK shooter and thinks that sight placement is "normal?"

Regardless, once you shoot it, it's an easy fix if it's too far right for you. If I were near I'd be happy to use my very rusty Sig armorer skills and dusty Sig armorer tools to center it up, but I'm WAY far away from anyplace free like the Rockies.

It looks a bit off, but as others said shoot it. It is an easy fix if it is not correct on windage. Elevation is a bit more to fix and would require a sight swap.

As others mentioned don't sweat it. I have seen this from other manufacturers as well.

User Tag List