Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for feedback on this design.

Glorious. What does "stripping" point mean in the context of the index finger guard?
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

One of the belt clip options I have been testing.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Glorious. What does "stripping" point mean in the context of the index finger guard?
    If the area forward of the index finger sticks out enough to get caught on your gear/clothing or anything else that you are trying to cut it can get stripped from your hand in a dynamic situation.
    It really comes down to a fine balance between having enough feature in place to create "stops" for your hand and not so much sticking out that you get hung up on things in use.

Quote Originally Posted by FLC Knives View Post
    Thanks for the kind words and suggestions DI1
    Regarding your "full flat grind, no recurve" comment, why no recurve?
    Increasing the surface area forward of the index finger to stop riding forward can create a "stripping" point if there's too much in that area. Is this a concern to you?
    The textured handles are stippled black canvas micarta and factory textured black G-10. They do fill the hand nicely but are bulkier than the cord wrap.
    It seems that people either love or hate cord wraps
    I will post some pics of the sheaths. There are several versions. Static line, velcro for plate carrier and I'm working on 2 different belt clip variants.
    I don't think the recurve adds much to a well designed flat ground blade, especially a spear point. It is also harder to sharpen properly. I can sharpen standard grinds with a diafold card in the field pretty easily.

I would not be concerned as much with the blade being stripped as I would be with getting cut. A deeper finger choil would help alleviate that.

Slim G10 handles, sculpted or plain don't add much bulk and remain grippy without hanging up on your concealment garment as does paracord or epoxied wrap, are also easier on your skin if you are not wearing a base layer.

I prefer solid belt loop or Bladerigs (Tracker Dan) clips as they stay put under adverse conditions and do not release like most plastic j hooks.

Do you coat the 01 with any rust preventative?
    In horizontal belt carry mode, does the knife (handle) print when covered with concealment garment?

Quote Originally Posted by DI1 View Post
    I don't think the recurve adds much to a well designed flat ground blade, especially a spear point. It is also harder to sharpen properly. I can sharpen standard grinds with a diafold card in the field pretty easily.

I would not be concerned as much with the blade being stripped as I would be with getting cut. A deeper finger choil would help alleviate that.

Slim G10 handles, sculpted or plain don't add much bulk and remain grippy without hanging up on your concealment garment as does paracord or epoxied wrap, are also easier on your skin if you are not wearing a base layer.

I prefer solid belt loop or Bladerigs (Tracker Dan) clips as they stay put under adverse conditions and do not release like most plastic j hooks.

Do you coat the 01 with any rust preventative?
    In horizontal belt carry mode, does the knife (handle) print when covered with concealment garment?
    Great questions/comments DI1.
    I agree that a non-recurve is easier to sharpen. I have added this to my list of of items to review.
    Regarding the deeper finger choil, did you see my video earlier in the thread? Either way, this has been added to my review list as well.
    I also prefer the scales over the cord wrap. I haven't had any issues with the cord chaffing or catching garments. How does everyone else feel about this?
    Solid belt loop as in a IWB loop? Tracker Dans clips are great and I have emailed him about them but have not heard back.
    Have you played with the G-Code clips yet? They are holding up well in my testing so far.
    I treat the O1 like a rifle. Bit of oil and wipe it down when your done. It will stain over time and with use. Many folks appreciate the patina it develops over time.
    I'll post up some pics of the horizontal carry printing.

Regarding the question about printing with horizontal carry.
    I had to swap belts so I had a thinner buckle.

Nice work! Did you heat treat yourself, or ship out?

The handle looks BIG. I prefer gutted paracord. The cord forms a more aggressive gripping texture that way, even without epoxy. I would also prefer a less swoopy or curvy back of the handle/thumb ramp.

Have you looked at other designs? It shares some elements with other combatives-oriented fixed blades.

Quote Originally Posted by Attila View Post
    Nice work! Did you heat treat yourself, or ship out?

The handle looks BIG. I prefer gutted paracord. The cord forms a more aggressive gripping texture that way, even without epoxy. I would also prefer a less swoopy or curvy back of the handle/thumb ramp.

Have you looked at other designs? It shares some elements with other combatives-oriented fixed blades.
    Hey Attila, Thank you for your comments. I heat treat in house these days with my nice shiny EvenHeat The gutted paracord is almost the slimmest profile it can get. How thick are your preferred handles? This wrap measures 5/16" around the edge and just a bit under 3/4" along the center.
    Are you saying you would prefer a thumb scoop instead of a thumbramp? I have studied the combatives blades that appeal to me and my views. My views may be a bit different as I spent 6 years as a butcher among other things. My experiences have certainly shaped my perception It would be interesting to hear your thoughts regarding the similarities with other blades.
    Last edited by FLC Knives; 11-14-2015 at 02:05 PM. Reason: forgot to answer a question:)

My opinions are worth the paper they come printed on here. With a 1/8" blade and gutted para, I can get a handle at or under 1/2" thickness.

I can see some butcher/utility influence in the handle shape. I don't know that I would prefer scoop over ramp, but most designs that suit me don't curve up and down that dramatically.

As far as similar blade designs: Dynamis for the thumb ramp and handle that narrows as it nears the blade. It also looks a little like the Joe Watson Archangel, bent straight at the guard. They're good designs and I'm not suggesting copying, etc. - just wondering if you have looked at how they solved certain design problems.

Thanks for posting photos of the horizontal carry, looks good.

Solid belt loop or "pull the dot" snap loop is what I meant regarding IWB loop.
    I have tried the G-code clips, they are ok, waiting on it to fail...
    If you contact Nick from Bladerigs, he will sell the steel clips separately.

I'll second Attila's comment on the Dynamis/Winkler thumb ramp, it is a good, clean design.

Look forward to seeing more blades from you.

User Tag List