Page 24 of 40 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Thread: Coordinated Attacks in Paris, France

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    As for body count - 1) That's not the right metric. You need to convert it to percent of global population. 2) Let us not forget that Christians forcibly converted and/or enslaved three continents (North America, South America, and the bulk of Africa) within the past 500 years.

-Rob
    Rob:

(1) Christians have certainly committed horrible crimes. However, religion hasn't been the killer you think it is. Except for the Islamic massacres in Central Asia/India and North Africa you simply can't get large % of the global population numbers either, and Tamerlane--who probably killed more than anyone else, probably killed more Moslems than others.

(2) The pocket version of Christian atrocities cited by many, including our President, and to which you refer, isn't regarded as credible by historians anymore. It originated in reformation polemics, was thereafter adopted as part of the Whig view of history and continued to be propagated until the 19th century, but is often simply untrue or vastly overstated. For example modern historians, who have counted the actual victims, think that during the entire course of the Spanish Inquisition, the total number killed was a bit over . . . 3,000. Not even a good afternoon's work for the NKVD or the SS. That doesn't justify it (though the Ottoman massacre at Otranto, which led to its establishment, killed far more), but it does put it in context. Again, I'm not arguing that Christians haven't committed crimes just that the scale of them has been exaggerated, sometimes grossly.

(3) Christians did not forcibly convert/enslave three continents. North America was conquered--which is what people did back then, including the incumbent inhabitants--but its population north of Mexico was small. There was little forcible conversion, even in Mexico (where the majority of inhabitants seem to have sided with the Spanish and voluntarily converted). In South America--which best matches your statement--there was conquest, some forcible conversion, and like in Mexico, some enslavement. (You will find that church authorities constantly exhorted against both forcible conversion and enslavement, largely in vain as to the second). Overall, though, it was a much more nuanced picture than you think. Indians certainly were enslaved in the Spanish silver mines in Peru and their treatment was terrible--but South America is a big continent and much of it was thinly populated at best before the coming of the Spanish.

There was little forcible conversion by Christians in Africa, and almost no actual enslavement. The reason was simple. White Europeans died from the West African fevers so could not capture slaves there. Instead, they bought them from the local chiefs/kings who sold them Generally they were captives taken in war. By contrast, the Moslems were able to operate in Africa (because many were black natives) and did conduct wide spread slave raids there, though normally in East rather than West Africa. That doesn't mean that the slave trade itself wasn't a crime, but it was the Quakers and the Methodists who led the movement that eventually stopped it.

I won't tell you that Christians did not and do no commit crimes--they certainly did and do. But for the most part (note--I only say the most part) those crimes weren't religious in nature but, like most crimes, were committed to gain wealth or power.

And here is where I think I fundamentally disagree with you. You think religion causes people to act badly. I think that we all have it within us to act badly and that Christianity--or to put it more correctly, the Judeo-Christian religious tradition, has--despite all of its failings--done more to get people to stop killing and robbing each other than anything else in history. If you doubt that, compare the native Europeans to their new, non-Europeans neighbors, or the Israelis to their Palestinian neighbors. Both the native Europeans and the Israelis are far less violent, less prone to stealing and more community minded. Despite all its failings it is the Judeo-Christian tradition that said "don't kill/don't steal" and over the millennia that view has gradually sunk in, at least to a certain extent.

Let's not confuse things done in the name of "Christianity" with the doctrine of intolerance clearly espoused by Islam's sacred text. Nowhere in the Bible does it dictate or condone any form of violence or coercion in any attempt to convert anyone to the Christian faith.

In total contrast, total intolerance is a tenant of the Muslim faith; convert or suffer the consequences. If anyone really thinks Islam is just Christianity with a different spin, they should receive some national recognition for their willful ignorance.

It's worth noting that pretty much throughout the world, the Islamic faith is the only thing filling the void created when Christianity is marginalized or suppressed. With that reality in mind, why would any Atheist, Agnostic, or Pagan - with an IQ in triple-digits - willingly embrace that as an alternative? That very thing has been a destabilizing force in much of Europe and it's creeping into the American culture as we speak.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    That's not surprising. Tam apparently despises Germans and considers all of them Nazis. At least that what her posts lead me to believe.
    lolwut?

I guess if you're determined to look for offense, you'll find it.
    Last edited by Tamara; 11-16-2015 at 10:04 AM.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    To switch, I've been absolutely disgusted with some other gun forums (one of which I moderate for) where there is a consistent drum beat that private individuals with weapons are useless and even to mention that possibility is ridiculous.

They see folks as Timmy Taurus and refuse to consider hardening up. There is push back but what bunch of cowards. Yeah, maybe the LCP isn't optimal and maybe you would have to make a head shot but they have just given up.
    I wish I hadn't gone and read that thread. :/
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    Actually, the Catholic Church just outgrew it.
    Not very untrue in the long view. However I think the right way to look at it is that religion, like but more so than nationalism or other ideologies that are powerful motivators of people, can be misused by bad people. When enough people are misusing an ideology to drive a political entity to do bad things -- like say the Ottoman Empire, the Hapsburgs, or Daesh -- the entity needs to be shut down and the ideology taken back to its normally good state by good people. That has happened, at great cost, with the Church, American, Japanese, and German nationalism, and other ideological entities. How it will happen with today's radical Islam remains to be seen, but history suggests it will suck out loud.

The assertion that religion is bad because it can be misused is exactly analogous to the same assertion about weapons.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    This link came up in my FB feed today, thought it was informative:

https://www.ctc.usma.edu/wp-content/...tiveReport.pdf

Can anyone here vouch for the info in this report?
    Having looked it over, probably not without busting security regs*. There's a lot of info there. Much of it based on intel.
    (I served with the first CO of the CTC...)

*This should not be taken to imply that I have any relevant intel. I don't. I've been out of that game for 15 years, and never worked the Middle East or Terrorism realms.
    Last edited by Drang; 11-16-2015 at 12:49 PM. Reason: Disclaimer for claritys sake.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
    Rob:

(1) Christians have certainly committed horrible crimes. However, religion hasn't been the killer you think it is. Except for the Islamic massacres in Central Asia/India and North Africa you simply can't get large % of the global population numbers either, and Tamerlane--who probably killed more than anyone else, probably killed more Moslems than others.
    Current population estimates for 1492 put the European population at roughly 60 million and the New World population number at 50-100 million. Nearly the entire New World population was enslaved, killed, or died from disease (of which they were often deliberately infected). By 1800 the North American continent had 25 million people or which ~1 million were of indigenous descent. The estimations for North American population in 1492 are around 20 million people. South America did fare a bit better...but partially because of the remoteness of populations within the Amazon basin.

(2) The pocket version of Christian atrocities cited by many, including our President, and to which you refer, isn't regarded as credible by historians anymore. It originated in reformation polemics, was thereafter adopted as part of the Whig view of history and continued to be propagated until the 19th century, but is often simply untrue or vastly overstated. For example modern historians, who have counted the actual victims, think that during the entire course of the Spanish Inquisition, the total number killed was a bit over . . . 3,000. Not even a good afternoon's work for the NKVD or the SS. That doesn't justify it (though the Ottoman massacre at Otranto, which led to its establishment, killed far more), but it does put it in context. Again, I'm not arguing that Christians haven't committed crimes just that the scale of them has been exaggerated, sometimes grossly.
    The inquisition only executed 3000 people formally. That's not the total number killed during the time period (unless you think those who were ordered to convert or emigrate did so entirely peacefully). I'm not arguing that the NKVD or SS didn't do horrible things. They did - they did indeed.

(3) Christians did not forcibly convert/enslave three continents. North America was conquered--which is what people did back then, including the incumbent inhabitants--but its population north of Mexico was small. There was little forcible conversion, even in Mexico (where the majority of inhabitants seem to have sided with the Spanish and voluntarily converted). In South America--which best matches your statement--there was conquest, some forcible conversion, and like in Mexico, some enslavement. (You will find that church authorities constantly exhorted against both forcible conversion and enslavement, largely in vain as to the second). Overall, though, it was a much more nuanced picture than you think. Indians certainly were enslaved in the Spanish silver mines in Peru and their treatment was terrible--but South America is a big continent and much of it was thinly populated at best before the coming of the Spanish.
    Actually, I disagree. Details of it are nuanced, but the overall is not. Conquer - overcome and take control of (a place or people) by use of military force - Voluntary - done, given, or acting of one's own free will - The peoples of the New World were not given a choice - they converted and/or were enslaved (Encomienda) or they died. Frequently, they did BOTH. Often at most they paid lip service to the Christian doctrine brought by Conquistadores. I'm sorry, I've spent a considerable time studying these events, up to and including studying 500-year old codices written by Aztecs/Mixtecs after the conquering. The Aztec empire fell, relatively peaceably, because they were smart enough to realize they couldn't win. What happened after is nothing short of a global atrocity. That happened in North and South America.

There was little forcible conversion by Christians in Africa, and almost no actual enslavement. The reason was simple. White Europeans died from the West African fevers so could not capture slaves there. Instead, they bought them from the local chiefs/kings who sold them Generally they were captives taken in war. By contrast, the Moslems were able to operate in Africa (because many were black natives) and did conduct wide spread slave raids there, though normally in East rather than West Africa. That doesn't mean that the slave trade itself wasn't a crime, but it was the Quakers and the Methodists who led the movement that eventually stopped it.
    I'm not sure what you would call Imperialization of Africa during the 18th, 19th, and 20th centuries, but I call it conquering. Yes, the Portuguese and Dutch traded with local tribesmen who captured the slaves. But they did that - because the demand for slaves was high. I'm also not sure what else to call the suppression of traditional African religion by Christian slave-owners. The reason we have Vodou and Santeria is because of attempts at forced conversion or suppression of original religious identity by slave owners of the slave's original religion.

I won't tell you that Christians did not and do no commit crimes--they certainly did and do. But for the most part (note--I only say the most part) those crimes weren't religious in nature but, like most crimes, were committed to gain wealth or power.

And here is where I think I fundamentally disagree with you. You think religion causes people to act badly. I think that we all have it within us to act badly and that Christianity--or to put it more correctly, the Judeo-Christian religious tradition, has--despite all of its failings--done more to get people to stop killing and robbing each other than anything else in history. If you doubt that, compare the native Europeans to their new, non-Europeans neighbors, or the Israelis to their Palestinian neighbors. Both the native Europeans and the Israelis are far less violent, less prone to stealing and more community minded. Despite all its failings it is the Judeo-Christian tradition that said "don't kill/don't steal" and over the millennia that view has gradually sunk in, at least to a certain extent.
    So, we actually aren't in disagreement. I no more believe that Christianity is directly responsible for these crimes than I think Islam is responsible for the attacks in Paris. It is just used, frequently, as a convenient excuse. Which is actually the point I was trying to make earlier about Holy Wars in general. I've seen a considerable amount of anti-Islam rhetoric on this board over the last couple of years. If you put together all of the acts done "in the name of", but not "in the spirit of" - you get a lot of bad, bad, bad, bad, shit that has been done in the name of (insert your religion here). To the point where, you could say, "It's easier to eliminate all religion." than eliminate "All bad things." - Religion is just another convenient excuse for the reality that bad people, do bad things, to good people, because those bad people are bad. That said, I grow tired of excuses in the name or one or the other. Eliminating the excuses won't eliminate the problem, but arbitrarily choosing to go after one excuse over another is just that...arbitrary.

As for Judeo-Christian ethics improving the European continent...Nah, I don't quite buy it. I suspect it has more to do with industrialization and the enlightenment, which I admit, was spurred forward by the Renaissance in Europe. However, the reformation and movement of the humanist movements did more positive for the continent. It was not traditional (read: orthodox) Judeo-Christian ethics, but rather the reinterpretation of those ideas. Also, as near as I can tell WW1 and WW2 were still pretty terrible and violent things for the European continent, so I'm not sure I would say the whole continent has gotten better. And that is setting aside Eastern Europe and assuming most of the 20th century violence there has been driven by the breakup of the USSR.

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    Not very untrue in the long view. However I think the right way to look at it is that religion, like but more so than nationalism or other ideologies that are powerful motivators of people, can be misused by bad people. When enough people are misusing an ideology to drive a political entity to do bad things -- like say the Ottoman Empire, the Hapsburgs, or Daesh -- the entity needs to be shut down and the ideology taken back to its normally good state by good people. That has happened, at great cost, with the Church, American, Japanese, and German nationalism, and other ideological entities. How it will happen with today's radical Islam remains to be seen, but history suggests it will suck out loud.

The assertion that religion is bad because it can be misused is exactly analogous to the same assertion about weapons.
    The real question is - who are the good people to shut it down and solve the problem?

I don't think the Koran makes any allowance for its followers to be a "modernizer" as doing so would simply put him the same category as an infidel and expose him to the applicable consequences.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    Unfortunately,their solution may be to take your P7 away.
    If this really happens one day, I'll report for desk work the next. There is no way I work on the street without a gun.
    If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.

User Tag List