Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hats gentlemen...I need one

Site Supporter

Hats gentlemen...I need one

All my hats are either ugly or lost. Who likes what? (Stetsons need not apply to us northerly folks unless a convincing argument of style can be made)

You are either going to get a detective fedora or an arc'teryx cap.

Unless there is an Official PF hat...?
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Cheap cotton canvas bucket hats. Should you lose one, say, during a jetski stunt miscalculation (along with your cheap sunglasses), you're not out too much.
    And they're great in hot, sunny areas.

For the winter Stormy Chromer.

Stetson.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    All my hats are either ugly or lost. Who likes what? (Stetsons need not apply to us northerly folks unless a convincing argument of style can be made)
    You're in luck. Chicago still has an excellent hatmaker - Optimo - http://optimo.com/collection

Also the Goorin Bros. store is pretty fun/hipster in Wicker Park - http://www.goorin.com/mens-hats

As with all things in life, hats like clothes, watches, shoes, knives, and guns are mission dependent.

In my opinion it is hard to go more "grey man" hat wise than to rock the baseball cap of the local sports team (so Cubs or 'Socks this time of year, Bears or 'Hawks in the fall/winter). Pair it with blue jeans or cargo shorts and a solid color polo (navy/black/grey), and a pair of tennis shoes and you'll be practically invisible if you want to be.

Simultaneously, if you want to pull off a razor sharp look. Pick a hat that matches your threads, Panama-straw hats with a short-sleeve dress shirt, and light colored slacks with deck shoes? You'll look summer casual but refined. Winter is coming on? A winter weight wool Fedora in black or brown with a matching suit, a pair of slick polished boots, and a wool overcoat? You'll be ready to machine gun down your rivals in an alleyway on the North Side.

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    (Stetsons need not apply to us northerly folks unless a convincing argument of style can be made)
    Rayland Givens

I wear a hat (not a ballcap) everyday, all day.

In the warmer months, I wear Panama-style straw hats from makers like Stetson, Scala and Pantropic. In temperate weather, I wear a Tilley LTM-6. In cold weather, I wear Safari-style felt hats from Scala, Tilley and Dorfman.

When I'm hunting, I wear Stormy Kromers or a felt Safari-style brimmed hat in Blaze Orange camo.

ETA: I view hats like handguns; one hat could suffice I suppose, but I am one that will never experience such a thing if I have anything to do with it.
    Last edited by 41magfan; 06-28-2016 at 06:44 PM.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    You're in luck. Chicago still has an excellent hatmaker - Optimo - http://optimo.com/collection
    Optimo is one of the the only quality maker of milan straw hats in the US. Milan straw is heavy straw but it's very durable. One of these days I'll own one. Most straw hats are made with Shantung, which is really a rolled and flattened paper product, they won't last long.

The US made Stetson fedoras and classics are pretty nice and pricey.
    My most used hat is a Tillet LTM6 airflo, not stylish but very functional and comfortable. My only complaint is that the brim is floppy so if it's windy enough to need the chinstrap the brim becomes a nuisance.
    My favorite is an Akubra Balmoral, it's woven hemp. It's heavier than straw but quite a bit more durable.
    Last edited by txdpd; 06-28-2016 at 06:50 PM.

User Tag List