Thread: Week 138: 2 to 3x5 in 5

Start position: Concealed
    Starting distance: 3 yards
    Distance of farthest hits under par time: 7 yards
    Anything you noticed: 5 seconds is longer than you think

Start position: Concealed
    Starting distance: 3 yards
    Distance of farthest hits under par time: 9 yards
    Anything you noticed: I made good hits at 11 yards but was over time at 5.94

[IMG][/IMG]

Mike

I shot this from my duty holster, a Safariland 6360. Pistol was a Sig 226. Stock but for a FO front sight. I shot it right after the Pistol NOW! DotW. It was cold as balls.

10 yards 2.86 clean.
    15 yards 4.69 clean. Numb fingered the draw.
    20 yards 3.78. 2 misses both about half an inch below the card edge. WTF is up with this horizontal card crap anyway!
    I shot a couple more iterations at the 20 b/c that pissed me off.
    3.66 20 yards clean.
    4.42 20 yards clean.

Smokin!
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Thanks bud. I really didn't have a good grasp of where the wheels would fall off on this one. In hindsight, 5 seconds feels like quite a good chunk of time. Then again, like all par time stuff, if one's working speed fits within the constraints of the par, it doesn't seem that hard. If it doesn't, it smacks of impossible and requires "pushing and trying". And we all know how well that usually turns out. Reminds me of Roger's in that respect.

t

Quote Originally Posted by taadski View Post
    Thanks bud. I really didn't have a good grasp of where the wheels would fall off on this one. In hindsight, 5 seconds feels like quite a good chunk of time. Then again, like all par time stuff, if one's working speed fits within the constraints of the par, it doesn't seem that hard. If it doesn't, it smacks of impossible and requires "pushing and trying". And we all know how well that usually turns out. Reminds me of Roger's in that respect.

t

Yeah I warmed up a little for this one to get the feel of 5 seconds. When I tried to take all 5 it felt less comfortable than just shooting to the sights comfortably which was more like 3.5.
    Last edited by JHC; 11-24-2015 at 01:18 PM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

First try:
    Start holstered, open carry.
    Starting distance 5 yards
    Distance of farthest hits under par time: 9 yards
    Times: 3.56, 3.69, 3.77, 5.04

2nd try:
    Holstered open carry
    start 5 yards
    Farthest hits: 11 yards, missed both shots at 13 yards.
    Times: 2.85, 2.87, 3.46, 3.60, 3.87.

Name:  IMG_0710.JPG
Views: 171
Size:  97.9 KB

Things I noticed. I planned ahead as to how long it would take me to draw, get a sight picture and fire the first shot and reacquire the sights and fire the second shot. There should be time. I like drive the dot sights. The horizontal card is better because I can see the sides of the card. At 13 yards, I yanked the trigger. I knew it was a miss.

Start position: low ready
    Starting distance: 5 yards
    Distance of farthest hits under par time: 7 yards
    Missed 1 on my first attempt at 7, so ran it again without issue twice. Went 0 for 2 at 9 yd, so just ran it a few more times at 7 yards to get some reps in.

Anything I noticed:
    Wheels fall off at 9 yards
    Need to work on faster pressout and take more time aligning
    Need to be able to press faster without anticipation creeping in
    Need to also video myself to see how much muzzle flip there is in recoil, but doing drills just looking at the sight in recoil is helping.

Quote Originally Posted by scw2 View Post
    Need to work on faster pressout and take more time aligning
    I've found that on a difficult target, that if I do a fast draw and press out, it leaves me more time to aim.

Just my unsolicited two cents, but:

Need to also video myself to see how much muzzle flip there is in recoil
    Less muzzle flip is better than more muzzle flip.

doing drills just looking at the sight in recoil is helping.
    But, the exact amount of muzzle flip, at least in the kinds of guns and calibers we are talking about, is dwarfed in importance by the consistency of the muzzle returning to the point of aim.

The biggest thing to be after here is for the front sight to lift and return consistently to the point of aim, and for you to see and be aware of it while it's doing so.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    Just my unsolicited two cents, but:

Less muzzle flip is better than more muzzle flip.

But, the exact amount of muzzle flip, at least in the kinds of guns and calibers we are talking about, is dwarfed in importance by the consistency of the muzzle returning to the point of aim.

The biggest thing to be after here is for the front sight to lift and return consistently to the point of aim, and for you to see and be aware of it while it's doing so.
    Thanks, and those are a great points. Saw a Miculek video with slow mo comparison on locked vs unlocked wrists and that dip below the centerline he said is what causes the dispersion in follow up shots and makes for slower shooting to boot. I was going to take a video to see how little upward recoil there was but your point about returning without dipping below is something I'll keep in mind.

User Tag List