Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How to win a bar fight?

Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    I respectfully disagree. Claiming that a human "cannot attack" while suffering pain is remarkably easy to falsify.

It's dangerous advice, especially followed by the classic recommendations of eye gouges and testicle strikes.

The article has some good advice in it (like avoidance), but it's mashed in with so much bullshit that it's hard for me to take the piece seriously.
    Other than avoidance, what would you do differently. Here are some examples of what Krav would have us do:
    1) Fast and violent on the first attacker, keeping him between me and others potential adversaries;
    2) Make an example of the first guy with groin kicks, elbow strikes, knees to the midsection, hammer-fists to the jaws, until he collapse to the ground;
    3) Continue to assess the threats and get out quickly.

FYI, the guy who wrote the article does seem to be qualified.
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post

FYI, the guy who wrote the article does seem to be qualified.
    Cody

Not if he thinks people can't attack while suffering pain, that the eye is easy to hit when the target is moving aggressively, or that barely wiping their eye will disrupt them. All those are demonstrably wrong and worse, stupid.

Anytime I read advice like that, I immediately know the guy has never spent any time actually working against a truly resisting opponent.
    Last edited by Cecil Burch; 11-13-2015 at 12:03 PM.
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

Maybe "How to win a salad bar fight at the Harvard rec room".
    That article assumes a non-committed opponent.

At one of the concerts I worked we had a guy continue to fight after having his elbow dislocated by an arm bar. A eye poke wouldn't have even registered with him.
    Last edited by JodyH; 11-13-2015 at 12:02 PM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Is mace the same as tear gas?

Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    Just to illustrate a little better for the folks who won't read the article;

1. No: it's absolutely not easy to touch someone's eyeball while they are coming in for a take down or strike.

2. No: barely wiping someone's eye is not enough to "terminate this conflict." If this was remotely true, cops wouldn't need multiple force tools. Pepper spray is more painful than barely wiping an eye. Yet there are hundreds (if not thousands) of videos showing suspects violently resisting arrest, even when completely blinded by spray.

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Maybe "How to win a salad bar fight at the Harvard rec room".
    That article assumes a non-committed opponent.

At one of the concerts I worked we had a guy continue to fight after having his elbow dislocated by an arm bar. A eye poke wouldn't have even registered with him.
    Yes. I'm not going into details but yes this is true, you might slow them down but don't assume the fight is over.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianB View Post
    Is mace the same as tear gas?
    Mace is a brand, not an actual product. The original formulations by Mace contained CN, which used to be used as a anti-riot agent, but has been largely supplanted by CS. The current Mace Triple Action Spray contains CN, OC, and a dye, so it does have some "tear gas" in it. For the most part, I believe that all current-day Mace spray products have OC in them, while only the Triple Actions line continue to also integrate CN.
    Last edited by Default.mp3; 11-13-2015 at 12:53 PM.

Back in my food service days I used to backup the bouncers in college bars, where I learned adrenalized drunken college punks and townies don't feel much pain. At best some of the methods described serve as an entry you use as a feint to attack along a different line.

FWIW, headbutts and backfists are what served me best in those days. Headbutts for inclose entanglements that would occur at the door or when some drunk would try to grab you, and a backfist to the temple as a haymaker antidote. Neither would work very well against someone who had sober game.
    "I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters."

Frank Lloyd Wright

Best way to avoid fights.

Don't do stupid things, with stupid people, in stupid places, at stupid times.

It's remarkable how effective not being stupid is at avoiding fights. I see something hinky, I move out. If I can't move away, I start moving myself to a defensible position and setting up my tactics. So far in my life I've only had to pull a weapon and threaten deadly force once. And that one was completely avoidable on my part, because I did something stupid to antagonize a clearly deranged individual. Fortunately, for me, he wasn't committed to putting a hurt on me, because I was outnumbered three-to-one and they were armed as well.

-Rob

Site Supporter
    If the $hit is going to hit the fan, just tell the bartender that your soon to be attacker is picking up your tab, and get out!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rXaENvEzKTY

I'm with Byron, Cecil, Jody and a whole host of you above my post.

Outside of not being stupid and not getting into fights (as others suggested), a finger gouge or a groin kick, if available, could be used as part of your arsenal, if that's how you train, but to assume any strike, lock, takedown, etc will end anything is sooo far beyond the pale.

Quite honestly, we all have seen how the caliber and capacity discussion works. Good placement repeatedly to the heart or CNS works fastest, right? So how in the ever-loving-hell does a guy tell you a finger poke/swipe to the eye is the end-all, be-all to terminate this conflict?

Well shit, I guess Cecil, SN and a host of other nationally recognized trainers can just hang up their belt, gi and fisticuffs, b/c we just found the panacea to end all violence. Quick! ISIS, put on your shades, there are a bunch of angry Americans with itchy gouging fingers...

But he's a professional!!! Yeah, so is Hilary Clinton and Bernie Madoff.
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

User Tag List